Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swap-toberfest '15  (Read 41681 times)

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #255 on: October 30, 2015, 03:47:25 pm »

Belle Saison. Some people like it and some really hate it. I love it fermented cool and then let to free rise.
Nice, I'll have to try it out. The only saison strain I've seen to ferment as dry as yours was the wyeast French saison 3711
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #256 on: October 30, 2015, 03:49:55 pm »
I have heard they are the same strain, but I get a more peppery character out of Belle... which could be my imagination.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #257 on: October 30, 2015, 06:19:49 pm »
I have heard they are the same strain, but I get a more peppery character out of Belle... which could be my imagination.

I've read that too, Matt. Funny thing, I get more of a citrus/grapefruit bomb out of Belle - I think it's totally a temp schedule thing. I pitched @ 67F, held 48 hrs, then ramped up to 80F last time. Those strains are crazy temp sensitive.
Jon H.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #258 on: October 30, 2015, 06:42:31 pm »

I was just thinking any peppery/spicy notes in that beer were from the rye used in grain bill

I've used 3711 by pitching around 65 and letting it free rise, I got a super fruity tasting beer...I always use a half Maris otter and half white wheat grain bill in my saisons
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #259 on: October 30, 2015, 06:56:05 pm »
Last of Ken's (Wort-HOG) beers is his Vanilla Porter. It pours a deep mahogany/black with a thick head of two fingers that settles to a lingering 1/2 inch. It smells of toffee, vanilla, caramel, roast, slight alcohol. The flavor is a synergy of these, with a sweet toffee/caramel character playing alongside a pleasant vanilla flavor, later balanced by a smooth roast character. A subtle, pleasant alcohol flavor and finish serves to accentuate these complimentary components. This is a chilly mid-fall Indiana night and this beer is just the kind of beer you think of on a night like this. Well done, Ken ! Thanks.
Jon H.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #260 on: October 30, 2015, 07:38:48 pm »
I wonder what role crystal plays in that.

That Rye Saison is 4# flaked rye,  20# continental Pils (Belgo-Franco this time), and 1# RedX. Step mashed like a pils... Usually I use 2# wheat and 1# SpecialB to get a fruit forward expression. Both pitched at 66F, free rise to low/mid 70's after three or four days, open ferment. VERY different beers. Never got grapefruit, but can see a bit of citrusy tangerine thing in the nose.

I need to run another 3711 batch with Drew's recommendations.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #261 on: October 30, 2015, 07:56:08 pm »
Grist has to be a major player here, too -  my last couple have been very simple. Like 75% Pils, 20% Vienna, 5% Wheat. IBUs like 28-ish. That's a lot of variation between our grists and temp schedules.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #262 on: October 31, 2015, 05:19:29 am »
Last of Ken's (Wort-HOG) beers is his Vanilla Porter. It pours a deep mahogany/black with a thick head of two fingers that settles to a lingering 1/2 inch. It smells of toffee, vanilla, caramel, roast, slight alcohol. The flavor is a synergy of these, with a sweet toffee/caramel character playing alongside a pleasant vanilla flavor, later balanced by a smooth roast character. A subtle, pleasant alcohol flavor and finish serves to accentuate these complimentary components. This is a chilly mid-fall Indiana night and this beer is just the kind of beer you think of on a night like this. Well done, Ken ! Thanks.

That was my first use of the Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans- think I hit it too hard but I pulled it and it mellowed out over time. About 10-11 month old beer at this point. I've decided to do smaller 3 gal batches of these beers going forward and bottling them instead of keg....Just not enough consumption of beers like robust vanilla porter between my wife and I and circle of beer drinking friends.

68% pale ale malt, 11.2% light Munich, 7.5% crisp brown malt, 5.7% chocolate malt 350srm, 3.8% c-120, 2.8% c-60,  1% black patent 500 srm.  Wlp013, 35ibu. OG 1.065, FG 1.016 , 6.5% ABV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #263 on: October 31, 2015, 06:18:14 am »

That was my first use of the Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans- think I hit it too hard but I pulled it and it mellowed out over time. About 10-11 month old beer at this point. I've decided to do smaller 3 gal batches of these beers going forward and bottling them instead of keg....Just not enough consumption of beers like robust vanilla porter between my wife and I and circle of beer drinking friends.

68% pale ale malt, 11.2% light Munich, 7.5% crisp brown malt, 5.7% chocolate malt 350srm, 3.8% c-120, 2.8% c-60,  1% black patent 500 srm.  Wlp013, 35ibu. OG 1.065, FG 1.016 , 6.5% ABV.

One of the nice things about the swap is that we get to hear the results of beers that people post questions about as they are making them. I seem to remember Ken posting way back when about what kind of vanilla beans to use.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #264 on: October 31, 2015, 07:30:16 am »

One of the nice things about the swap is that we get to hear the results of beers that people post questions about as they are making them. I seem to remember Ken posting way back when about what kind of vanilla beans to use.

exactly Pete. Jon and others guided me in on the usage!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2015, 11:38:46 am »

Grist has to be a major player here, too -  my last couple have been very simple. Like 75% Pils, 20% Vienna, 5% Wheat. IBUs like 28-ish. That's a lot of variation between our grists and temp schedules.

Agreed.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #266 on: October 31, 2015, 08:31:56 pm »
All this talk of Saison, I thought now is a good time.

Pours a beautiful light gold with so faint of a haze its almost brilliant.  Bright white tiny bubbles head that fades to a long lasting ring. I poured it quite chilly and my nose sucks but I get a little fresh gold grape and spicy belgian ester aroma. Flavor packed! Its a wonderful balance between the belgian saison esters and the grape. Cant say that I get a lot of obvious hop flavor but if I do it blends well with the other leading characters. It tastes and feels like a big beer but not hot or solventy at all. Feel is effervescent,  clean, dry dry. No slickness or coating at all. Not astringent at all. A perception of light sweetness at the end that is intriguing against the dryness. Maybe from the alcohol? Sweetness and a little tart at the same time. Good lord what a complex beer. If you mindlessly drank it you could miss it, but if you explore it theres all these distinct but balanced aspects.

Another great beer Eric! Have you thought of aging some on oak? I'll bet that would fun.  Maybe you did use oak?

As it warms, I gotta say, this would make a great intro to funky beers. I know its not a sour, no sourness to it, but that grape and belgian ester combo along with the effervescence and dryness... if a sour virgin liked this I'll bet they would like sours too.

Fantastic!  Thanks again!

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #267 on: October 31, 2015, 08:32:54 pm »
Dammit Jim! (God, I have been waiting for like 3 years for that!)
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #268 on: October 31, 2015, 08:43:06 pm »
Sounds great. Eric, I assume that's the saison with Gewurstraminer must ?  Still need to make mine with muscat must.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #269 on: October 31, 2015, 08:47:23 pm »
Sounds great. Eric, I assume that's the saison with Gewurstraminer must ?  Still need to make mine with muscat must.
and nelson sauvin?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.