Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swap-toberfest '15  (Read 41316 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #285 on: November 05, 2015, 01:39:55 am »
Just checking...

Has anyone not shipped yet? Not received yet, at least gotten a tracking number? Send me a PM if you got left behind.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #286 on: November 05, 2015, 05:42:45 am »
Just checking...

Has anyone not shipped yet? Not received yet, at least gotten a tracking number? Send me a PM if you got left behind.
I have the tracking number of what's coming to me and the lateness has been well communicated and OK'd by me and is the result of Paul wanting to send me more and better beer. So I'm all good for sure.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #287 on: November 05, 2015, 07:03:47 am »
Just checking...

I have the tracking number of what's coming to me and the lateness has been well communicated and OK'd by me and is the result of Paul wanting to send me more and better beer. So I'm all good for sure.

aye - I wasn't happy with the local beers that were available to me at the time, and I was headed over to Cigar City last weekend so I asked pete if he'd be okay with waiting so I get him some limited release bombers.  similar to Jonathan who let me know that he'd be going to get fresh releases of some of the beers he was sending and i was more than happy to wait  8)  should be getting mine today and pete should be getting his tomorrow.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #288 on: November 05, 2015, 08:13:59 am »
I have only had a chance to have one of the homebrews and have tasting notes to post.  Hoping to cover the rest this weekend.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #289 on: November 05, 2015, 08:18:07 am »
Just checking...

aye - I wasn't happy with the local beers that were available to me at the time, and I was headed over to Cigar City last weekend so I asked pete if he'd be okay with waiting so I get him some limited release bombers.  similar to Jonathan who let me know that he'd be going to get fresh releases of some of the beers he was sending and i was more than happy to wait  8)  should be getting mine today and pete should be getting his tomorrow.
Nothing better than getting a Box O' Beer and Mead on a Friday! :)
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #290 on: November 05, 2015, 12:28:43 pm »

I just wanted to chime in and let my swap buddy know that I will be shipping my package tomorrow. This swap led to the purchase of my first Blichmann Beer Gun. I have been bottling directly from my keezer faucet in the past with slight oxidation issues. Well the inner perfectionist in me didn't want my first homebrew swap to go half ass....hence the beer gun

looking forward to it.

Package is in the mail, it should be there by Monday.
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #291 on: November 06, 2015, 12:24:48 pm »
I just opened another beer from Ynotbrusum, this one marked Flanders Red (bretted).  It presents with a small foam stand, but the head is persistent and leaves nice legs in the glass.  Beautiful burgundy color; very clear.  Aroma has some cherry esters and a little farmhouse funk.  Malt is subdued, but kind of reminds me of saltine crackers.  Flavor is sour cherries, with some Munich malt thrown in - thinking of salt water taffy for some reason.  Body and mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but has a tongue coating sourness that lingers into the finish.

Nice Flanders.  I would like a little more body, but I know how hard it is to accomplish that with this style.  I can probably assume that this was fuller and more carbonated on tap before bottling.

Thanks!  I am enjoying this exchange.

Thanks, Jeff.  Yes, that one was a Solera blend from a prior tart cherry wine base addition to a 5 gallon bourbon barrel and its body is quite light.  Next time my blending might get this a bit more full using a different ratio on the base blends.

I will be intentional about getting to a couple more of your brews this weekend and post on them.  Agreed that this swap was a great idea and I look forward to more in the future (and to time my beers a bit better to allow some bottle conditioning rather than solely bottling off the keg).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #292 on: November 06, 2015, 07:31:41 pm »
Mikes (surfinmikeg) triple reef ale.

pour is 2 finger head that dissapates to white/tan cap after 5 minutes. hazy reddish brown color. aroma is somewhat nutty like brown ale, with little to no hop aroma. body is light to medium with good carbonation. not sure what im picking up in hop flavor here. its somewhat herbal and spicey and it lingers in the finish. not at all familiar with hallertau blanc, but its interesting and unique. the finish is dry and crisp with hints of crystal malt.
nicely done ale, that while different is actually quite pleasing and drinkable as you keep sipping it. nice beer Mike!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:42:06 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #293 on: November 07, 2015, 09:41:56 am »
We shared the Oakshire Overcast Espresso Stout last night, per Myles' request. (It's been taunting him in the fridge since it arrived. :) )

Fantastic beer, Jim. Thank you for sending it. It fit well with the weather here as it finally turned from mid 60s to the upper 40s yesterday.

The aroma is full of dark chocolate, French roast coffee, and dates. Flavor follows aroma with additional oat silkiness. Quite a great beer. I reached for another pour only find out the bottle was empty. Almost makes me wish I didn't share it... almost. :)

We also had the Hop Lava from Double Mountain a few nights ago after a rough day at work. I think Myles summed that one up best, "This is exactly what Hop Lava should smell like." I thought it was a really great expression of two of the original American hops, Cascade and Centennial.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

coastsidemike

« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2015, 03:09:03 pm »

pour is 2 finger head that dissapates to white/tan cap after 5 minutes. hazy reddish brown color. aroma is somewhat nutty like brown ale, with little to no hop aroma. body is light to medium with good carbonation. not sure what im picking up in hop flavor here. its somewhat herbal and spicey and it lingers in the finish. not at all familiar with hallertau blanc, but its interesting and unique. the finish is dry and crisp with hints of crystal malt.
nicely done ale, that while different is actually quite pleasing and drinkable as you keep sipping it. nice beer Mike!

Hey Ken!  Thanks for this review, as well as the previous one on the chocolate raspberry porter. 

I have to say that I've gleaned quite a bit from the conversations of Swap-tobertfest, thanks again to Jim for organizing.  It's clear that I need to try a Pilsner with '830 a la the brewing notes Frank passed along, as well as trying whirlpool additions on just about everything.  I'm not there with sours yet, but see the passion with which others appear to be creating awesome brews.

The background on this one is kinda funny.  It was for a future brother-in-law where I needed to have a good brewday with him.   I made a bunch of 1 gallon test batches ahead of time (variations on a Fat Tire), then had him tastes grains to pick and choose before crushing and brewing, as well as smoking meats on BBQ all day long.

All the grain choices are on a whim (Pils, C120, Victory, Vienna), I could see where if I got the ratios right it could be super nice.  When it came to choosing hops, Hallertau Blanc was the more unknown and experimental of what I had on-hand; I'm not sure what it would be best in but people seem like it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #295 on: November 07, 2015, 04:27:33 pm »
We shared the Oakshire Overcast Espresso Stout last night, per Myles' request. (It's been taunting him in the fridge since it arrived. :) )

Fantastic beer, Jim. Thank you for sending it. It fit well with the weather here as it finally turned from mid 60s to the upper 40s yesterday.

The aroma is full of dark chocolate, French roast coffee, and dates. Flavor follows aroma with additional oat silkiness. Quite a great beer. I reached for another pour only find out the bottle was empty. Almost makes me wish I didn't share it... almost. :)

We also had the Hop Lava from Double Mountain a few nights ago after a rough day at work. I think Myles summed that one up best, "This is exactly what Hop Lava should smell like." I thought it was a really great expression of two of the original American hops, Cascade and Centennial.
Double Mountain is one of those breweries that struggles with consistency. (And probably verified by you brief but polite review) Hop Lava is my favorite of their lineup, but even it has good days and bad days. Their Kölsch is classic if you want to teach new judges what yeasty is. It is usually like a carbonated year old smack pack. I avoid it.

Did I send you a pFriem Pilsner? I think it won Gold at GABF for German Pils this year.

CORRECTION pFriem got a Silver
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 01:49:21 am by klickitat jim »

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #296 on: November 07, 2015, 04:49:43 pm »
I actually enjoyed Hop Lava. We just drank it after a tough day, so taking written notes was pretty low on my priorities. :)

I do not have that Pilsner, but I do have an IPL from Base Camp. We actually went to Base Camp on our honeymoon, but only had the smores stout.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #297 on: November 07, 2015, 05:18:05 pm »
I actually enjoyed Hop Lava. We just drank it after a tough day, so taking written notes was pretty low on my priorities. :)

I do not have that Pilsner, but I do have an IPL from Base Camp. We actually went to Base Camp on our honeymoon, but only had the smores stout.
Bummer, I thought I did. I'll try to keep that in mind, maybe send you one for suffering through that Dunkel I sent LOL

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #298 on: November 08, 2015, 11:56:38 am »
Here's a report on another of ynotbrusum's (Jerry Hodge's) home brews, this one the Kentucky Common. 
(I had to read up on this historical style since I'm not too familiar with it and don't think I've had an "authentic" example.)
He included a note about low fill and being bottled from a keg, which somewhat explains the low pour and minimal carbonation.  I bet this beer is much more authentic on tap at the source.
This beer is kind of a cross between a Northern English Brown Ale and a Munich Dunkel.  It is medium brown in color (light chestnut) with very good clarity and has a nice nutty (thinking walnut) malt aroma and flavor, very little hop aroma, a slight noble/current hop flavor and just enough bitterness to balance the malt.  Fermentation is clean, with little to no esters or alcohol heat.
I like it.  It fits the bjcp description really well except for the carbonation.
Thanks, Jerry!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #299 on: November 08, 2015, 12:21:11 pm »

Hey Ken!  Thanks for this review, as well as the previous one on the chocolate raspberry porter. 

I have to say that I've gleaned quite a bit from the conversations of Swap-tobertfest, thanks again to Jim for organizing.  It's clear that I need to try a Pilsner with '830 a la the brewing notes Frank passed along, as well as trying whirlpool additions on just about everything.  I'm not there with sours yet, but see the passion with which others appear to be creating awesome brews.

The background on this one is kinda funny.  It was for a future brother-in-law where I needed to have a good brewday with him.   I made a bunch of 1 gallon test batches ahead of time (variations on a Fat Tire), then had him tastes grains to pick and choose before crushing and brewing, as well as smoking meats on BBQ all day long.

All the grain choices are on a whim (Pils, C120, Victory, Vienna), I could see where if I got the ratios right it could be super nice.  When it came to choosing hops, Hallertau Blanc was the more unknown and experimental of what I had on-hand; I'm not sure what it would be best in but people seem like it.

Yes it was an interesting g hop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde