Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swap-toberfest '15  (Read 41292 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #300 on: November 09, 2015, 09:09:47 am »
I had the pleasure of trying another one of AmandaK's beers this past Saturday. For starters, the beer blew my SWMBO and I away. The beer was a nice light brown in color, like a mid range, maybe around 18srm ish. There was little to no hop aroma or flavor. The aroma and taste was all dark, fruity flavors, hard for me to put a name to them. There was definitely a good deal of maltiness to the brew that really did not come off as sweetness, just malty goodness. I got no sense of alcohol warmth at all in aroma or flavor. This was a very smooth drinking, refreshing, delicious beer. Amanda says it was the result of a club group brew where there were different groups to each come up with a recipe to fit the theme of "Imperialize It." Her group chose to imperialize a saison. Her notes to me when I was confused about what I was tasting said that it was over 2 years old, and had been hot and boozy when young, but really coming into its own. 3711 took the 1.113OG down to 1.009 for well over 13%. I let her know that to me, it drinks like an aged barleywine in maltyness, or perhaps a doppelbock as there was no noticeable hop characteristics that I could detect. This beer was nothing like what I would have expected from a 13% saison(but only because of my pre-conceived notions of what the BJCP says a saison should be) but it was wonderful to drink. If she had sent me 6 bottles of this, and no other homebrews, the swap would have been well worth it. Instead, I got one of these and many other of her wonderful, award winning homebrews. Last up to the plate will be her Wedding Toast Brew, that will have to wait for the weekend (750ml bottle.) thanks again @AmandaK this swap was a great experience for me.
ps, Amanda was also kind enough to include some of her brewing notes for the 13+% saison that I have already entered into beersmith as something I would love to brew, in other words, my scoresheet would have ended with "I want the recipe for this brew!" Welll done @AmandaK!
pps: forgot that there is also a Crooked Stave "Surrette(?)" to try still as well
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #301 on: November 10, 2015, 12:08:00 am »
Two Roads Ol Factory Pilsner from RI. Another tasty east coaster. Clean, dry, Pilsner malt backbone with a sturdy lemony citrus hopping. Dandy beer! Thanks Eric!

Looked it up to see if they listed hops. They don't. I'm guessing some Willamette is in there. Noticed that it won silver this year at GABF.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:26:00 am by klickitat jim »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #302 on: November 10, 2015, 05:18:11 am »
Two Roads Ol Factory Pilsner from RI. Another tasty east coaster. Clean, dry, Pilsner malt backbone with a sturdy lemony citrus hopping. Dandy beer! Thanks Eric!

Looked it up to see if they listed hops. They don't. I'm guessing some Willamette is in there. Noticed that it won silver this year at GABF.
I like that one too. Even though Eric sent it from RI its from next door in Connecticut. I'm sure when you Westerners look at a map you mistake our states for counties.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #303 on: November 10, 2015, 08:03:33 am »
I like that one too. Even though Eric sent it from RI its from next door in Connecticut. I'm sure when you Westerners look at a map you mistake our states for counties.

Two Roads also brews some Lawson's beer, so even some VT beer is CT beer.  ;)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #304 on: November 10, 2015, 09:44:38 am »

Two Roads also brews some Lawson's beer, so even some VT beer is CT beer.  ;)
yup. Two roads makes solid beer. haven't been blown away but haven't been terribly disappointed either.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #305 on: November 10, 2015, 06:28:25 pm »
Sitting down with a Rye Pumpkin Saison from heavydeadlifts

At first the yeast spice flavors came out above anything else then a solid clove, pie spice character and a mild squashy pumpkin flavor edged in. Not hot but a pleasant warming sensation. Medium high creamy mouthfeel.

Any additional spicing is well balanced with the yeast phenols to the point where I keep questioning myself, is that spice or yeast? The body is light and refreshing while still really giving an autumnal harvest beer impression. a nice sipper but easy to quaff as well.

Very well done. looking forward to the others. Although they might have to wait till the weekend given the high alcohol content.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #306 on: November 10, 2015, 07:35:36 pm »
Jeffy's IPA - another winner

Piney, citrusy, slight grapefruit hop aromas; countered with rich maltiness on the nose late

Lingering head - full 3 fingers with rocky texture and off-white hue; major lacing and clear Amber color

Initial bitterness, slight grassiness clears away as it is swallowed.  Malt balance comes to the fore on second sip and aftertaste; not overly caramelly sweet - preferred - but sweetness that exists appears to come from the alcohol and is fleeting and acceptable; not hot or solvent though; slightest of smokiness very late

Fairly dry and crisp, but not watery; tingly on back and sides of tongue from carbonation; medium light body; well fermented to set up complexity on the palate as the multiple hops/complex hop works to assert their respective profiles in concert with the malt bill.

Overall, an enjoyable IPA; not overboard with bittering, yet assertive, late hops/dry hops with residual hop oils are very noticeable on the late palate to bring a nice finish to an overall very enjoyable IPA.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #307 on: November 10, 2015, 07:49:07 pm »

Sitting down with a Rye Pumpkin Saison from heavydeadlifts

At first the yeast spice flavors came out above anything else then a solid clove, pie spice character and a mild squashy pumpkin flavor edged in. Not hot but a pleasant warming sensation. Medium high creamy mouthfeel.

Any additional spicing is well balanced with the yeast phenols to the point where I keep questioning myself, is that spice or yeast? The body is light and refreshing while still really giving an autumnal harvest beer impression. a nice sipper but easy to quaff as well.

Very well done. looking forward to the others. Although they might have to wait till the weekend given the high alcohol content.
Thanks for the review (and don't be afraid to bash my beers either)

I thought the yeast phenols and spices played very well together, I got the idea for that beer from a local brewery's "farmhouse pumpkin" they make every year. I used 6lbs of sugar pie pumpkin crushed up in the mash after halving them and roasting in the oven until the sugars caramelized. 60% 2 row, 30% rye malt, 5% brown malt and 5% brown sugar

The other two I sent you will definitely age well and seem to be getting better every week I've tasted them from my keezer, so no rush at all! There is a considerable amount of Brett influence  in the wild ale which as you know will change things over time, thanks again!
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #308 on: November 10, 2015, 08:07:27 pm »
Commercial brew Jeffy sent from Tampa Bay Brewing Company - called Reef Donkey, an APA:

2014  GABF bronze winner definitely displays its worthiness of the accolades.  Lemony citrus aroma, creamy malt mouthfeel and medium body.  Gold colored quaffer that offers solid bitterness with nice malt balance.  Hop forward enough to definitely fit the style, but not a tongue scraper.  Solid brew with great water profile to let everything shine through.  The side of the can says it all "Draft Beer to Your Face". Yep right down the pie hole.....

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #309 on: November 10, 2015, 08:09:15 pm »
Jeffy's IPA - another winner

Piney, citrusy, slight grapefruit hop aromas; countered with rich maltiness on the nose late

Lingering head - full 3 fingers with rocky texture and off-white hue; major lacing and clear Amber color

Initial bitterness, slight grassiness clears away as it is swallowed.  Malt balance comes to the fore on second sip and aftertaste; not overly caramelly sweet - preferred - but sweetness that exists appears to come from the alcohol and is fleeting and acceptable; not hot or solvent though; slightest of smokiness very late

Fairly dry and crisp, but not watery; tingly on back and sides of tongue from carbonation; medium light body; well fermented to set up complexity on the palate as the multiple hops/complex hop works to assert their respective profiles in concert with the malt bill.

Overall, an enjoyable IPA; not overboard with bittering, yet assertive, late hops/dry hops with residual hop oils are very noticeable on the late palate to bring a nice finish to an overall very enjoyable IPA.
Glad you liked it.  I liked it pretty well too.  It was 52% Wyerman Pils, 28% Best Pils, 20% Wyerman Munich; 30 IBUs Ahatanum at 60', 25 IBUs Newport at 60', 3.25 ounces of unmarked hops at 10', dry hopped with Amarillo.  1056 yeast 1.068 OG.  "Unknown IPA" because I was utilizing anonymous hops from my freezer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #310 on: November 10, 2015, 08:14:41 pm »
I would have put Amarillo in there for the late hop and maybe something like Mosaic as your mystery hop?

I suggest rebrewing a batch at a time until you work through all available hops to identify the mystery hop.  I am willing to judge them and would consider a road trip!  Hah!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #311 on: November 11, 2015, 07:26:27 am »
Commercial brew Jeffy sent from Tampa Bay Brewing Company - called Reef Donkey, an APA:

2014  GABF bronze winner definitely displays its worthiness of the accolades.  Lemony citrus aroma, creamy malt mouthfeel and medium body.  Gold colored quaffer that offers solid bitterness with nice malt balance.  Hop forward enough to definitely fit the style, but not a tongue scraper.  Solid brew with great water profile to let everything shine through.  The side of the can says it all "Draft Beer to Your Face". Yep right down the pie hole.....

Reef Donkey is a very solid beer.  I like it a lot.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #312 on: November 11, 2015, 10:00:32 am »

Reef Donkey is a very solid beer.  I like it a lot.
It is one of my current favorites.  I'm getting a little tired of IPAs all the time.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #313 on: November 11, 2015, 09:40:37 pm »
Had Crooked Stave's  Surette  the tonight, courtesy of @AmandaK. This was a wonderful brew. Great aroma of tart citrus followed into the taste. Label says nice tart and vinous character from extended aging in barrels. This was a great selection to send, thanks @AmandaK
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #314 on: November 14, 2015, 03:49:55 pm »
Quick Review: New England Bitter - Pete B

Bottle conditioned. Slightly over carbonated. Pours a really cool deep reddish brown with a craggy off white head that sticks around for a bit. Aroma is slightly nutty, sweet candy with a mild floral note. A tiny bit of biscuity graininess. Substantial body with a slightly grainy finish. Very low hints of toffee, no toast, medium biscuit. No DMS and no perceivable butter/diacetyl despite the toffee notes. Incredibly well balanced between the hop bitterness and malts with restrained fruity esters. The flavors and aromas intensify slightly

I am not sure of the hops used, but this is better than a few pints of bitter or mild I have had in the UK. If the measure of a bitter is drink-ability - this has it, and I wish this was on cask somewhere nearby!

Well done! Nice welcome home drink after my trip to CA.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<