Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swap-toberfest '15  (Read 41666 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #345 on: December 03, 2015, 05:07:07 am »
Dang Jim, dang.  Drinking the Brett Saison now.

Presents with an amazing dusty pineapple aroma. (While that sounds weird, it's exactly what I want in a Brett Saison.) Honeycrisp apples, juicy blood orange, a touch of lemons, and bit of white pepper follows in the aroma. Myles nailed the descriptor that I couldn't: lavender. That's why it reminds me of Boulevard's Saison-Brett. Lavender. :)

Flavor follows the aroma, with a light honey flavor behind all of the things I described above. Med-low bitterness. Some sort of floral in the mid-palate. Finish is dry and lavender/honey/pineapple lingers into the aftertaste.

Light body, but medium mouthfeel. Perfect. Med-light carb. No warming or astringency.

Wow, what a beer. Myles says thank you (as do I). I only wish I had another. I know exactly who I would share it with. :)

Curious, can you tell me more about the Brett in here and the time frame? I just finished a beer nearly exactly like this, so I'm curious as to how our processes compare.
Well, what a relief! We really like that one too. Inspired by a guy across the river who has a really good commercial saison brett. But mine is really rednecked up. Not very authentic in nature. I also made one alongside the blond which is red by way of a little carafa

The blond
6 gallon batch 1.057
11lbs pils.        (2oz carafe II special for the darker version)
145 for 120 min
90 min boil
14g German Magnum @60
1 lb cane @ 15
3oz Hallertau Mittelfruh @ wirlpool 170f for 30
Wyeast belgian saison 3724 at 65, ramped to 90 over 5 days
It stalled at about 1.010 so I pitched a pack of bret lambicus wy5526, no starter.
I moved it to a spare closet. In about a month it had reached TG about 1.002/3 if I recall. Bottled it up as is, no bottling yeast.

Side note: I crashed and gell fined these beers. It seemed to work fine at the time, but in retrospect I think the gell grabbed tiny bits of pellicle which dont seem to want to fully settle. I will be skipping gellatin from now on with any pelicle beer.

These have become locked in repeater recipes for me. Im making more next june. And going to make one with kaffir lime leaves at flameout... trying to keep it real subtle. mmmm cant wait.

So, I have a six pack of the blond and the red waiting for me to decide if they might do well in 28A against all those other specialty beers...

What do you think?

By the way, the dunkel sucks. Dont waste much time on it. Sent it kinda thinking some help would be nice but since then ive learned the issue.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:56:38 am by klickitat jim »

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #346 on: December 03, 2015, 06:42:55 am »
Seeing these last couple posts reminds me of the fact that I am a bad swapper. I shared @AmandaK s wedding toast beer last week with the SO and a friend. It was poor timing as it was later in the evening, I did not take any notes and really only remember that we all enjoyed it. Thank you again Amanda, everything you sent was wonderful and I hope to get to that level eventually, with a lot more practice.

No worries, Frank. I'm happy to know that it was shared and enjoyed - that was the original purpose behind the beer, so it is still doing what we intended.  :)  Now that I think about it... I believe the first 40+ bottles of those batches (blended 2 10g batches together for the wedding) went in the same manner at the reception.  ;D

Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #347 on: December 03, 2015, 06:48:59 am »
So, I have a six pack of the blond and the red waiting for me to decide if they might do well in 28A against all those other specialty beers...

What do you think?

For NHC? I'll probably be entering a very similar Saison-Brett (w/ Boulevard dregs), so it would be neat if we could compete on the National stage. I say do it!  :D  It certainly is a beer that I would push to mini-BOS and with the right judge panel, should place.

I was hoping to have a separate Wild category for NHC, but now it seems as if I can send 3 different beers (I have all of the categories ready right now) and then have to compete not only against myself but against all of the bombs of the speciality category. I'll have to weigh that out once we know how many entries we can have.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #348 on: December 03, 2015, 07:40:27 am »

What do you think?

For NHC? I'll probably be entering a very similar Saison-Brett (w/ Boulevard dregs), so it would be neat if we could compete on the National stage. I say do it!  :D  It certainly is a beer that I would push to mini-BOS and with the right judge panel, should place.

I was hoping to have a separate Wild category for NHC, but now it seems as if I can send 3 different beers (I have all of the categories ready right now) and then have to compete not only against myself but against all of the bombs of the speciality category. I'll have to weigh that out once we know how many entries we can have.
Right on. I'll do that. Thanks!

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #349 on: December 03, 2015, 10:51:10 am »
Well here is my long due review of the beers mchrispen sent to me. I am not a BJCP judge and will not even begin to pretend that I can describe a beer at that level. My beer knowledge comes from a mixture of the BN session, sour hour, the Jamil show, brew strong, this forum and brewing classic styles. With that said...

The rye saison was delicious, very smooth with no hints of warming alcohol for a beer just under 10%. Fruity phenolic characters typical of the French saison strain which is a beast of a yeast. I would have bought a few bombers of this if it were a brewery offering.

The quadruple was another very smooth big beer. I got hints of plums, raisin, with what I perceived as a malty backbone. I don't remember there being much in the way of yeast phenolic character and spice. A very good beer all in all.

The braggot was very different. My first taste of what a beer fermented with a considerable amount of honey actually tastes like. I have to admit that when I opened this bottle it was getting late into the evening on a weekend that I had some old friends from college come into town. I enjoyed it, and my wife would also tell you that I enjoyed it. It actually inspired me to buy a gallon of honey from my uncles bee farm that I am looking to formulate a braggot recipe for.

All in all this guy knows his way around some potent beers that could get you in trouble if you didn't realize how strong they were!
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #350 on: December 03, 2015, 11:08:02 am »
Hey thanks! Happy you enjoyed them!

That braggot is pretty divisive. I have one friend that spit it out - and another that keeps asking for more. :)

Cheers!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #351 on: December 05, 2015, 06:37:00 pm »
Tonight cracked surfinmikeg's rye porter. Poured jet black, with thick three finger tan head, that slowly dissipates to solid one finger. Aroma is roast with notes of coffee and vanilla. Very smooth, well attenuated with subtle  rye contributions. I let this one warm up to mid 40's and glad I did. The  rye and roast with vanilla in background meld together perfectly. Great beer on cold winter night- well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:41:46 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #352 on: December 08, 2015, 06:31:46 pm »
Jeffy's Old Ale - a great beer that my description will not do justice on:

Dark and Murky brown, thin beaded head that dissipates on pouring; aroma of dark figs and prune, along with slight overripe pears and sherry (slight oxidation? Definitely not to a distraction level nor impermissible); flavor has Special B-like caramel with light roast and boozy hints on the initial sip, settling into residual sweetness that comes from the alcohol, I suspect, but appreciable like a fine, well-aged wine.  Mouthfeel was rich and full bodied, lightly tingly on the mid tongue and mildly warming, leaving a little twinge in the gums.  Overall a very complex and satisfying flavor profile - not your neighbor's barley wine, the aging brought out its best and settled out any shortcomings that may have been there younger.  I would enjoy this as an after dinner companion to an apple cobbler or with a big roast beef dinner or even better, with some venison back straps sautéed in garlic and onions.  It would stand up to either - or as I enjoyed it, all by itself.

Well Done, Jeffy!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #353 on: December 08, 2015, 06:34:57 pm »
I want one!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #354 on: December 08, 2015, 06:47:45 pm »
Thanks, Jerry.  That beer was a pretty old Old Ale.  It was a club project - we made 10 barrels of wort at Tampa Bay Brewing Co. from a winning recipe and split it up amongst everybody.  The sample I sent you spent some time in a bourbon barrel and picked up some Brett somewhere along the line.
Sometimes I really like this beer for complexity and dark fruit and sometimes I think it tastes like soy sauce.  I'm glad you got the former. 8)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

coastsidemike

« Reply #355 on: December 08, 2015, 10:23:39 pm »
Tonight cracked surfinmikeg's rye porter. Poured jet black, with thick three finger tan head, that slowly dissipates to solid one finger. Aroma is roast with notes of coffee and vanilla. Very smooth, well attenuated with subtle  rye contributions. I let this one warm up to mid 40's and glad I did. The  rye and roast with vanilla in background meld together perfectly. Great beer on cold winter night- well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Ken, I'm glad you liked it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #356 on: December 11, 2015, 07:34:12 am »
I think we are probably about done with Swaptoberfest '15. If there's still more thats cool, keep posting.

Was it worth while?

Other than botching the lineup so some folks ended up with one on one exchanges, anything you'd suggest changing?

I'll aim to fire up another one in the Spring. Hopefully between NHC shipping time and actual NHC?

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #357 on: December 11, 2015, 08:29:31 am »
I think it was worthwhile despite that I've only had a chance to drink one of them (haven't had a chance to touch the stouts with three separate competitions happening in late October and November).  I would do it again.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #358 on: December 11, 2015, 08:30:54 am »
I have no suggestions to make it better, I thought it was great. Thanks!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #359 on: December 11, 2015, 08:34:47 am »
Yeah, I enjoyed it again and would keep participating.
Jon H.