Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swap-toberfest '15  (Read 41304 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #360 on: December 11, 2015, 08:37:10 am »
This has been fun to follow. I might try to participate in this at some point. I don't think my beers are up to par with the rest of ya but maybe one day...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #361 on: December 11, 2015, 09:24:00 am »
I might try to participate in this at some point. I don't think my beers are up to par with the rest of ya but maybe one day...

You should join in. It's not about being up to par with anybody, it's really not. I bet (like me) you're your own biggest critic. It's fun !

Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #362 on: December 11, 2015, 09:27:27 am »
I might try to participate in this at some point. I don't think my beers are up to par with the rest of ya but maybe one day...

You should join in. It's not about being up to par with anybody, it's really not. I bet (like me) you're your own biggest critic. It's fun !

I also think a lot of us were shipping what we had, not something we brewed for competition.  So not necessarily the cream of all our crops.

I still have one to taste and some notes to post.  Unfortunately, I was coming down with pneumonia when I sampled the last bottle, so I think my senses were pretty well dulled.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #363 on: December 11, 2015, 09:28:38 am »

I also recommend joining in. I know I'm not one of the best brewers here but I think we all have some good stuff to share. I also think that with this crowd we really look for what we like in a beer so don't think of it as professional judges exposing your flaws in public, as you could see its not like that.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #364 on: December 11, 2015, 01:18:45 pm »
I enjoyed it and didn't find anything wrong with being one of the one-on-one pairs.  Thanks for setting it up!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #365 on: December 11, 2015, 01:47:20 pm »
I also enjoyed and will join again. First experience with anything like this, nothing to add to improve. I just hope I can make it to NHC and do it again in person. Thanks Jim for organizing
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #366 on: December 11, 2015, 04:31:47 pm »
This has been fun to follow. I might try to participate in this at some point. I don't think my beers are up to par with the rest of ya but maybe one day...
I'm glad I joined in this time around. I don't have a local club, so this forum is what I think of as my homebrew club. It's nice to share some brews with someone other than my buddies who think that everything I make is good enough to go pro with.

Most of my beers are one-offs or experimental, and would be several iterations away from being NHC caliber if I decided to hone them in. I still felt comfortable with this crowd in sharing. I expected friendly feedback, and that's what I got. I also got a great suggestion from Jim to oak my Gewurztraminer Saison, which I will be trying very soon. Basically, it's exactly what I'd expect from a friendly local club.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #367 on: December 11, 2015, 04:45:43 pm »
I'm glad I joined in this time around. I don't have a local club, so this forum is what I think of as my homebrew club. It's nice to share some brews with someone other than my buddies who think that everything I make is good enough to go pro with.

Most of my beers are one-offs or experimental, and would be several iterations away from being NHC caliber if I decided to hone them in. I still felt comfortable with this crowd in sharing. I expected friendly feedback, and that's what I got. I also got a great suggestion from Jim to oak my Gewurztraminer Saison, which I will be trying very soon. Basically, it's exactly what I'd expect from a friendly local club.
That was an excellent beer and I suspect that the oaked one will be amazing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #368 on: December 11, 2015, 05:56:39 pm »
I still have a handful to go through (Jeffy was all to accommodating with his and the commercial beers).  I sent some Midwestern brews knowing that mine may have had issues (blackberry sludge on bottling for example).  But I didn't kill him, so we're all good.  Don't worry about your brews - most guys (and Amanda) just enjoy the process!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #369 on: December 12, 2015, 08:09:16 pm »
Sooner or later I'd love to participate in one of these. Hoped to make it into this last one, but with school it just didn't work out.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #370 on: December 12, 2015, 08:37:34 pm »
Sooner or later I'd love to participate in one of these. Hoped to make it into this last one, but with school it just didn't work out.
Several months to get ready for the next one...

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #371 on: December 12, 2015, 10:33:17 pm »
I quite liked it and will do again. I got a chance to connect with other brewers and get to know them outside of their forum name/posts, which is probably the best part for me.

Looking forward to the next one!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #372 on: December 13, 2015, 04:08:33 pm »
Having Jonathan/morticaixavier's   Scotch ale .

Beautiful dark plum body, clear with garnet highlights when held to the light.  Hints of dark dried fruit in the aroma, no hop.  Richly malty.

The aromas carry into the flavor - rich chewy malt but not cloying.  Almost a hint of cherry in the finish.  Enough bitterness to keep it from falling over the malt cliff.   Slight warming but not alcoholic. 

My god, I can only hop my wee heavy scheduled to brew in January turns out anything like this - I am cherishing the remainder of my snifter.

Would love the recipe.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #373 on: December 14, 2015, 06:17:24 am »
Having Jonathan/morticaixavier's   Scotch ale .

Beautiful dark plum body, clear with garnet highlights when held to the light.  Hints of dark dried fruit in the aroma, no hop.  Richly malty.

The aromas carry into the flavor - rich chewy malt but not cloying.  Almost a hint of cherry in the finish.  Enough bitterness to keep it from falling over the malt cliff.   Slight warming but not alcoholic. 

My god, I can only hop my wee heavy scheduled to brew in January turns out anything like this - I am cherishing the remainder of my snifter.

Would love the recipe.
I think" enough bitterness to keep it from falling over the malt cliff" wins the prize for best description on this thread.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #374 on: December 14, 2015, 07:17:46 am »
Several months to get ready for the next one...

If next year is anything like 2015 has been, it'll be a challenge to have 3 beers brewed and bottled by then. At that point this year I had 3 batches done, two of which ended up infected. I haven't brewed an all-grain batch since May.

We'll see.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.