Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swap-toberfest '15  (Read 41293 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #375 on: December 14, 2015, 07:35:19 am »
Having Jonathan/morticaixavier's   Scotch ale .

Beautiful dark plum body, clear with garnet highlights when held to the light.  Hints of dark dried fruit in the aroma, no hop.  Richly malty.

The aromas carry into the flavor - rich chewy malt but not cloying.  Almost a hint of cherry in the finish.  Enough bitterness to keep it from falling over the malt cliff.   Slight warming but not alcoholic. 

My god, I can only hop my wee heavy scheduled to brew in January turns out anything like this - I am cherishing the remainder of my snifter.

Would love the recipe.

Sounds like one excellent Scotch ale.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #376 on: December 14, 2015, 07:36:46 am »
Having Jonathan/morticaixavier's   Scotch ale .

Beautiful dark plum body, clear with garnet highlights when held to the light.  Hints of dark dried fruit in the aroma, no hop.  Richly malty.

The aromas carry into the flavor - rich chewy malt but not cloying.  Almost a hint of cherry in the finish.  Enough bitterness to keep it from falling over the malt cliff.   Slight warming but not alcoholic. 

My god, I can only hop my wee heavy scheduled to brew in January turns out anything like this - I am cherishing the remainder of my snifter.

Would love the recipe.

82% weyermann Munich II
11% weyermann Pils
5% C60
2% flaked wheat

hopped with ~13 IBU centennial and ~10 IBU Challenger at 90 minutes

WYeast 1728

I only made ~2.5 gallons and boiled the first half gallon of runnings down to about a pint. it was syrupy.

This was the recipe that took 1st in Strong Scotch and 2nd in Malty division in the BrewUnited comp. It did turn out well. Kind of wish I had made a full batch.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #377 on: December 14, 2015, 07:55:56 am »
This was the recipe that took 1st in Strong Scotch and 2nd in Malty division in the BrewUnited comp. It did turn out well. Kind of wish I had made a full batch.

Was going to say - I recognized those ingredients.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #378 on: December 14, 2015, 08:07:00 am »
What SRM did that work out to?  I thought the color was perfect.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #379 on: December 14, 2015, 11:30:04 am »
What SRM did that work out to?  I thought the color was perfect.

according to beersmith it was 15.9. I suspect it was a couple/few tenths darker than that.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #380 on: January 16, 2016, 05:59:10 pm »
Spring swap talk is making me feel guilty.

These are my tasting notes from the Bayou Tech Bayou Pesche IPA that Toby sent me.

I was, unbeknownst to me, coming down with pneumonia when I sampled this beer back around Thanksgiving so I think my senses were dulled.  It (pneumonia) kicked me good this time. I'm still on an inhaler.

Anyway, the beer was a nice golden color, but had a thin head (I think I need to be more diligent on beer clean glasses).  There was very low hop aroma (perhaps the pneumonia stifling my sniffer).  I was searching for peach in the aroma, and think it was there.  It's the only aroma noted in my notes. 

Bitterness was assertive up front and lingered.

All in all, a tasty beer.  My notes don't indicate if I shared it with the wife.  I probably tried to and she refused to share a glass with someone as obviously sick as I was. 

Next time:  beer clean glass, pictures.

I've got one more pint I haven't poured yet.  Maybe tonight, but I have to run out later to pick up a kid from a party.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #381 on: January 16, 2016, 06:15:46 pm »
Spring swap talk is making me feel guilty.

These are my tasting notes from the Bayou Tech Bayou Pesche IPA that Toby sent me.

I was, unbeknownst to me, coming down with pneumonia when I sampled this beer back around Thanksgiving so I think my senses were dulled.  It (pneumonia) kicked me good this time. I'm still on an inhaler.

Anyway, the beer was a nice golden color, but had a thin head (I think I need to be more diligent on beer clean glasses).  There was very low hop aroma (perhaps the pneumonia stifling my sniffer).  I was searching for peach in the aroma, and think it was there.  It's the only aroma noted in my notes. 

Bitterness was assertive up front and lingered.

All in all, a tasty beer.  My notes don't indicate if I shared it with the wife.  I probably tried to and she refused to share a glass with someone as obviously sick as I was. 

Next time:  beer clean glass, pictures.

I've got one more pint I haven't poured yet.  Maybe tonight, but I have to run out later to pick up a kid from a party.
Good job, Joe. I think dying from pneumonia is a valid excuse for running late.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #382 on: January 16, 2016, 06:26:49 pm »
Not quite dying.  But after coughing stuff up for 60 days or so, I was worried.

Clean chest x-ray earlier this month though.  That puts my paranoia to rest.  At least for now.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #383 on: January 16, 2016, 06:30:51 pm »
Good to hear you're bouncing back. That sucks.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #384 on: January 16, 2016, 06:39:32 pm »
Thanks.  I'm almost back to normal.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #385 on: January 18, 2016, 09:15:20 am »
Thanks.  I'm almost back to normal.
I had pneumonia for two months back in the nineties. Scary. One day I really did think I was a goner. All alone and called doctors office 3 times before I could talk because I could barely breath. Should have called 911 really.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #386 on: June 19, 2016, 01:31:57 pm »
Finally going through my backlog of bottles in the house fridge.  Opened up Joe's Old Ale.  I'm just going to consider the scores on a hedonistic level since American Old Ale isn't really a style.  Suffice it to say that I really enjoyed it, and it was something I shared with the Mrs., since it's in her wheelhouse.

Aroma: Moderate-high caramel and toffee. Low toasted bread crust.  Low pine, grapefruit, with a very light floral ester which grows as it warms.  Alcohol make the floral notes pop as it warms.  A light plum-like fruit ester also present.  Nothing off detected. 10/12

Appearance: Light copper with medium-low white head, medium-low carbonation with very light ring of bubbles at the edge. High clarity. Fine bubbles with light creamy lacing. 3/3

Flavor: Moderate-high caramel and toffee, with some light toast. Low nuttyness with medium-low floral notes. Medium-low plum-wine-like notes. Balance is slightly bitter and hoppy. 15/20

Mouthfeel: Medium-full mouthfeel with moderate carbonation, no astringency or diacetyl slickness, dry finish 4/5

Overall Impression: Excellent beer that defies traditional old ale boundaries. Obviously an American take on the style. 8/10

Total Score: 40/50

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #387 on: June 19, 2016, 01:36:21 pm »
Finally going through my backlog of bottles in the house fridge.  Opened up Joe's Old Ale.  I'm just going to consider the scores on a hedonistic level since American Old Ale isn't really a style.  Suffice it to say that I really enjoyed it, and it was something I shared with the Mrs., since it's in her wheelhouse.

Aroma: Moderate-high caramel and toffee. Low toasted bread crust.  Low pine, grapefruit, with a very light floral ester which grows as it warms.  Alcohol make the floral notes pop as it warms.  A light plum-like fruit ester also present.  Nothing off detected. 10/12

Appearance: Light copper with medium-low white head, medium-low carbonation with very light ring of bubbles at the edge. High clarity. Fine bubbles with light creamy lacing. 3/3

Flavor: Moderate-high caramel and toffee, with some light toast. Low nuttyness with medium-low floral notes. Medium-low plum-wine-like notes. Balance is slightly bitter and hoppy. 15/20

Mouthfeel: Medium-full mouthfeel with moderate carbonation, no astringency or diacetyl slickness, dry finish 4/5

Overall Impression: Excellent beer that defies traditional old ale boundaries. Obviously an American take on the style. 8/10

Total Score: 40/50

Does this one fit better into the American Strong Ale category, or not hoppy enough?

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #388 on: June 19, 2016, 01:41:14 pm »
Does this one fit better into the American Strong Ale category, or not hoppy enough?

Under the 2015 guidelines, I would definitely thing it'd fit there, especially fresh.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #389 on: June 19, 2016, 01:42:39 pm »
Cool.  i think I will probably give Hoosierbrew's ASA a go round this fall. It looks and sounds delicious.