Author Topic: Swap-toberfest '15  (Read 25535 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2015, 05:44:22 PM »
I am filling a 12 slot box for Ynotbrusum with 6 home brews and a variety of local commercial beers.  I cannot say I am proud of the homebrews I am sending, but I won't tell you about them until after you've tried them, so as to avoid instilling any preconceptions.  For all I know you may like them.
These are the homebrews:
Old Ale aged in an oak barrel with some Brett
IPA dry hopped with Amarillo
Belgian Witbier
Same witbier with poblano peppers
A blend of two 4+ year old solara sours
A very old, very dry cranberry mead
These are beers I picked up as growlers and decanted into bottles:
Raised Bungalow from Southern Brewing, a Berliner with prickly pear that won Best Florida Beer Pro competition this year
Andre's Ete d'Houblon, a hoppy Saison from Cigar City, one of their Trocadero Series beers
These are cans or bottles:
Maduro Brown Ale, Cigar City
Tocabaga Red, Cigar City
Reef Donkey, Tampa Bay Brewing, APA that won a GABF medal last year
Sauvage, collaboration with Green Bench and Trinity

That last one cost as much as all the others combined, so I hope it's good.

Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2015, 12:50:16 AM »
I am filling a 12 slot box for Ynotbrusum with 6 home brews and a variety of local commercial beers.  I cannot say I am proud of the homebrews I am sending, but I won't tell you about them until after you've tried them, so as to avoid instilling any preconceptions.  For all I know you may like them.
These are the homebrews:
Old Ale aged in an oak barrel with some Brett
IPA dry hopped with Amarillo
Belgian Witbier
Same witbier with poblano peppers
A blend of two 4+ year old solara sours
A very old, very dry cranberry mead
These are beers I picked up as growlers and decanted into bottles:
Raised Bungalow from Southern Brewing, a Berliner with prickly pear that won Best Florida Beer Pro competition this year
Andre's Ete d'Houblon, a hoppy Saison from Cigar City, one of their Trocadero Series beers
These are cans or bottles:
Maduro Brown Ale, Cigar City
Tocabaga Red, Cigar City
Reef Donkey, Tampa Bay Brewing, APA that won a GABF medal last year
Sauvage, collaboration with Green Bench and Trinity

That last one cost as much as all the others combined, so I hope it's good.
Holy smokes, he'll be changing his name to ynotdrinksum

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2015, 02:49:10 AM »
I've been hitting a number of different bottle shops to find some good locals for Toby. I don't usually think about it much but wow do we have a lot of locals.

Bottling this weekend and hoping to ship next week. Still not 100% on what going in.
I'm in a similar boat, except I don't drink a heck of a lot of commercial brews. We've had quite a few locals appear on the scene recently, but I have to admit that I'm not familiar with a lot of it. I'm going to need to do some homework before I ship to Jim. Tough work, I suppose  ;D

I'm probably not going to be able to ship for a few more weeks. I have a few things in the pipeline that I'm waiting on, but I have some solid backups if they're not ready for primetime.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2015, 02:59:31 AM »
I've been hitting a number of different bottle shops to find some good locals for Toby. I don't usually think about it much but wow do we have a lot of locals.

Bottling this weekend and hoping to ship next week. Still not 100% on what going in.
I'm in a similar boat, except I don't drink a heck of a lot of commercial brews. We've had quite a few locals appear on the scene recently, but I have to admit that I'm not familiar with a lot of it. I'm going to need to do some homework before I ship to Jim. Tough work, I suppose  ;D

I'm probably not going to be able to ship for a few more weeks. I have a few things in the pipeline that I'm waiting on, but I have some solid backups if they're not ready for primetime.
Absolutely no rush. Im looking forward to whatever comes my way. Fun stuff

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2015, 05:17:24 AM »

There's a goodly amount of Chicago beers, so feel free to time your shipment so that it's not sitting in a warehouse over the weekend.  Also keep in mind that I'm out of town next Thursday (the 15th), so if you don't get to ship where it'll be in on the 14th, I have no issue waiting until the Monday following for you to ship.

The box to you will be going out tomorrow.  I bottled today.  3 bombers of mine along with a couple of locals to fill it out.  I'll message you the details of the beers from me, but there is a multi-award winning beer in the mix.  Hopefully the intangibles are all there.  ;)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2015, 12:32:15 PM »
Amanda, that sounds awesome! Wild stout sounds very intriguing and of course I have heard great things about Crooked Stave

The wild stout has a few awards under its belt. 2nd place this weekend at the Sower's Cup in 23A, advanced to Nationals this year, and has a few other medals that I can't remember off the top of my head. The gueuze has won in plenty of comps, the toast beer never got entered in a comp since I only had it in large format bottles (but the recipe wins about 60% of the time), and the 13% saison is one of those beers that you don't even enter in comps - hence the waxing. I hope you enjoy! I would have sent some German lagers, but we pretty much cleared out the kegerator the weekend before I shipped - whoops!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Education Director
BJCP Assistant Education Director
BJCP Master/Mead

Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »
Amanda, that sounds awesome! Wild stout sounds very intriguing and of course I have heard great things about Crooked Stave

The wild stout has a few awards under its belt. 2nd place this weekend at the Sower's Cup in 23A, advanced to Nationals this year, and has a few other medals that I can't remember off the top of my head. The gueuze has won in plenty of comps, the toast beer never got entered in a comp since I only had it in large format bottles (but the recipe wins about 60% of the time), and the 13% saison is one of those beers that you don't even enter in comps - hence the waxing. I hope you enjoy! I would have sent some German lagers, but we pretty much cleared out the kegerator the weekend before I shipped - whoops!

Sounds like Frank is hitting the mother lode, Amanda !
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »
One of the cool things about these swaps is how they show what brewers are like. Its at least as much fun to share than receive. I think that if there wasn't a three beer suggested limit, folks would ship a whole pallet. Another aspect is that we all appreciate whatever we get. From quirky first tries to tried and true medal winners. What a cool hobby with great people

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 04:36:06 PM »
One of the cool things about these swaps is how they show what brewers are like. Its at least as much fun to share than receive. I think that if there wasn't a three beer suggested limit, folks would ship a whole pallet. Another aspect is that we all appreciate whatever we get. From quirky first tries to tried and true medal winners. What a cool hobby with great people

Oops.  Three beer limit?  Well, they are all smaller bottles....
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »
The limit is a suggestion. It gives a kind of heads up to only expect and be happy with 3 bombers, or 6 12s. Or 2 bombers and two 12s,  or...  its supposed to prevent situations where a guy ships a case and only gets one bottle back, and feels cheated, and then rants about what a ripoff it was, ruining the whole vibe. Yuk! Plus with a limit of 3, most people can feel up to joining in. Not everyone has a cellar full of awesome variety. And thats OK!

But honestly, the overwhelming majority of homebrewers are crazy generous and very grateful people. Rules are normally not needed. Its about the fun of sharing, and making connections, and learning.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 04:58:27 PM »
The limit is a suggestion. It gives a kind of heads up to only expect and be happy with 3 bombers, or 6 12s. Or 2 bombers and two 12s,  or...  its supposed to prevent situations where a guy ships a case and only gets one bottle back, and feels cheated, and then rants about what a ripoff it was, ruining the whole vibe. Yuk! Plus with a limit of 3, most people can feel up to joining in. Not everyone has a cellar full of awesome variety. And thats OK!

But honestly, the overwhelming majority of homebrewers are crazy generous and very grateful people. Rules are normally not needed. Its about the fun of sharing, and making connections, and learning.
I think having a target and holding it loosely is perfect. It seems that the so called limit is really in practice considered a minimum. That's perfect too.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »

I think having a target and holding it loosely is perfect. It seems that the so called limit is really in practice considered a minimum. That's perfect too.

+1.  I agree, I enjoy the sharing of beers more than worrying about what comes in return. Just takes the fun of the forum up a notch for me.
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »
I'm sending 5 bombers.  3 of my beers and 2 locals.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2015, 06:11:49 PM »
Yes Jon, I am very excited about Amanda's shipment, but drinking it will have to wait, as we will be out of town for a wedding from Friday till the following Sunday. I am shipping to Surfin.Mikeg hopefully on Thursday this week. Targeting 1 each from my pilsner split batch between 830& 833, 1 saison with your blend of 3724&3711 at a 2:1 level, then 2 different homebrew Märzens I am bottling tonight. He originally said he did not want any local stuff, but I may find something nice to round out the package
Frank L.
Fermenting: Ringler Pilsner (thanx Ron)
Conditioning: BVIP (thanx Denny)
In keg: Traquair House Clone (Skotrat style)
In the works:  Czech Dark Lager, American Pale Ale

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2015, 08:23:02 PM »

Oops.  Three beer limit?  Well, they are all smaller bottles....

Wow, Jeff - you went way overboard.  I PM'd you this morning on what is being sent your way (dropped them off at lunch today), but now I feel like a piker:

1 Berliner Weiss from me and 1 from Off Color (Fierce), 1 Flanders Red (Bretted Solera with Tart Cherry Wine base added about a year ago and blended last winter), 1 Kentucky Common (poor fill - sorry about that one, it was way carbed in the keg), 1 Ordinary bitter, 1 Blackberry Bretted Saison (bottle conditioning - it was just racked from primary, so give it a couple weeks); 1 Oktoberfest from Two Brothers - an oaked imperial Okto, 3 Wild Onion IPA's, 3 Half Acre IPA's.

The partridge in a pear tree was left out.  I will PM you the tracking info....

I will PM the tracking to you.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"