Author Topic: Swap-toberfest '15  (Read 23630 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2015, 11:26:28 PM »
Proprietary yeast?

I refer to it as '1728' or '028' depending on which is handy.  Also, another secret is to use a malt well known for it's flavor profile.  It rhymes with geese.  ;)
Im familiar with 1728. Probably to the point that if I did a lambic it would turn out more like a gaelic

Rymes with geese... hopefully that inludes Golden Promeese

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2015, 12:51:31 AM »
Here's my first attempt at really evaluating a beer, been drinking them for 30 years but never got much further than "I like it" or "I dont like it"

I received from AmandaK(B) and the first beer I tried was her American Wild Stout. Here are my thoughts in no specific order, just thoughts that came to me as I went through the glass:

Amanda’s American Wild Stout:

Flavors of Molasses, Currants, mixed berries (Not a big fruit eater, so can’t be more specific)
Slight coffee notes, Great funky, sour taste, but no bretty barnyard flavors; bretty cherry pie?
Deep, dark, black colors, opaque with maybe a hint of red at the edges
Light carbonation, good 1 finger head falling to just a ring (my glasses?) Little to no lacing (again, my glasses?) but head does cling to glass above beer and slowly subsides after each sip. Tiny carbonation bubbles persist throughout the glass
Head has a nice beige to brown color
medium mouthfeel, dry but not overly so
Aroma: sour even in the nose upon first pour, No hop aroma or flavor to my senses, maybe a faint banana ester
Semi-strong alcohol warmth and flavor on the back end

I really did enjoy this beer, and Amanda says it has won many awards, hopefully my assessment is not too far off base, but I would not be surprised to find that my untrained palate and evaluation skills were just not up to the task. Thank you very much Amanda, I will get back as I try more of your beers
Frank L.
Fermenting: Ringler Pilsner (thanx Ron)
Conditioning: BVIP (thanx Denny)
In keg: Traquair House Clone (Skotrat style)
In the works:  Czech Dark Lager, American Pale Ale

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2015, 12:56:43 AM »
Nice.
I am enjoying another commercial beer from Ynotbrusum.  This one is Satin Solitude, an Imperial Stout from Central Waters, Wisconsin.  Mmmmmm.  Thanks, Jerry.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2015, 01:31:30 AM »
Here's my first attempt at really evaluating a beer, been drinking them for 30 years but never got much further than "I like it" or "I dont like it"

I received from AmandaK(B) and the first beer I tried was her American Wild Stout. Here are my thoughts in no specific order, just thoughts that came to me as I went through the glass:

Amanda’s American Wild Stout:

Flavors of Molasses, Currants, mixed berries (Not a big fruit eater, so can’t be more specific)
Slight coffee notes, Great funky, sour taste, but no bretty barnyard flavors; bretty cherry pie?
Deep, dark, black colors, opaque with maybe a hint of red at the edges
Light carbonation, good 1 finger head falling to just a ring (my glasses?) Little to no lacing (again, my glasses?) but head does cling to glass above beer and slowly subsides after each sip. Tiny carbonation bubbles persist throughout the glass
Head has a nice beige to brown color
medium mouthfeel, dry but not overly so
Aroma: sour even in the nose upon first pour, No hop aroma or flavor to my senses, maybe a faint banana ester
Semi-strong alcohol warmth and flavor on the back end

I really did enjoy this beer, and Amanda says it has won many awards, hopefully my assessment is not too far off base, but I would not be surprised to find that my untrained palate and evaluation skills were just not up to the task. Thank you very much Amanda, I will get back as I try more of your beers
Good job! I could imagine the beer. I like the funkiness comments because I do not subscribe to the "must be like a donkey" club, any more than I believe corona is supposed to be skunk butt. Its good to hear that a non horse blanket sour won medals.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2015, 01:33:22 AM »
Thanks Jim. This is the kind of practice I can appreciate: drinking and evaluating beer!
Frank L.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2015, 02:45:26 PM »
Proprietary yeast?

I refer to it as '1728' or '028' depending on which is handy.  Also, another secret is to use a malt well known for it's flavor profile.  It rhymes with geese.  ;)
Im familiar with 1728. Probably to the point that if I did a lambic it would turn out more like a gaelic

Nope.  I always laugh when people bag on Briess malt.  That's why I dug the BrewUnited concept where people were saying "you can't make X with those malts".  That reminds me, I need to crack the bottles of a couple of my entries tonight to see how they're going.  I can't crack a bottle of the Scotch because that one got completely consumed (except for the 3 bottles for the entry) for a beer fest.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2015, 04:43:52 PM »
Proprietary yeast?

Nope.  I always laugh when people bag on Briess malt.  That's why I dug the BrewUnited concept where people were saying "you can't make X with those malts".  That reminds me, I need to crack the bottles of a couple of my entries tonight to see how they're going.  I can't crack a bottle of the Scotch because that one got completely consumed (except for the 3 bottles for the entry) for a beer fest.

I'll be interested to hear your BU wee heavy recipe. I entered one as well and it was really fantastic. Those malts are surprisingly good for the style.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2015, 05:52:47 PM »
I'll be interested to hear your BU wee heavy recipe. I entered one as well and it was really fantastic. Those malts are surprisingly good for the style.

Percentages were pretty close to what I stated for my standard with the exception of a few tweaks:
~85.7% Best Malz Pils (my favorite pils malt since it's highly modified and easy/predictable to work with)
~8.3% Munich 10L
~2.4% Flaked Wheat
~1.8% C60
~1.8% Self-roasted Best Malz Pils (roasted on a pan on my grill outside for 30 minutes at 350-400F, turning every 10 minutes)

Went a little higher in the IBUs (~35 with Northdown/Challenger combo) since I wasn't confident my attempt at self-roasted barley would provide quite the same balance as real roasted barley.  I was pretty pleased with it, though.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2015, 06:12:55 PM »
Nice.
I am enjoying another commercial beer from Ynotbrusum.  This one is Satin Solitude, an Imperial Stout from Central Waters, Wisconsin.  Mmmmmm.  Thanks, Jerry.

Glad you like it Jeff.  I will be getting back to your beers, possibly starting tonight.  Can you believe I have been too busy to have many beers the last week or so?  I'm not talking about brewing, just drinking.  Nothing scheduled tonight after work, except for taking out the trash, so I just might enjoy a couple three of yours!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2015, 01:22:26 AM »
Had to get back to commenting on this next one from Jeff:

It is a blended sour  and here are my impressions:

A wonderful Sweetish-sour aroma at the cap removal,  poured into a dark, ruby-garnet-noted, deep mahogany color; The next whiff overwhelms the nose with bursts of deep fig and raisin, as the head dissipates to a light brown tight bead fading to the edge of the glass.

First sip brings a strong, bright sour note with the lightest of funky Brett-like overtones; lactic bite lingers with a touch of  creaminess in the corner of the mouth as an aftertaste. Very late palate leaves a mouth coating of tartness – and the slightest hint of oxidation (but not unexpectedly nor out of place).

This is a complex, dark sour that is labeled as blended – indeed the level of complexity in the aroma and flavor bear witness that it could not be matched by a single batch sour ale.

Another well done example from the Tampa braumeister.  I clearly got the best end of this deal.....
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:24:24 AM by ynotbrusum »

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2015, 12:27:49 PM »

A wonderful Sweetish-sour aroma at the cap removal,  poured into a dark, ruby-garnet-noted, deep mahogany color; The next whiff overwhelms the nose with bursts of deep fig and raisin, as the head dissipates to a light brown tight bead fading to the edge of the glass.

First sip brings a strong, bright sour note with the lightest of funky Brett-like overtones; lactic bite lingers with a touch of  creaminess in the corner of the mouth as an aftertaste. Very late palate leaves a mouth coating of tartness – and the slightest hint of oxidation (but not unexpectedly nor out of place).

This is a complex, dark sour that is labeled as blended – indeed the level of complexity in the aroma and flavor bear witness that it could not be matched by a single batch sour ale.

Another well done example from the Tampa braumeister.  I clearly got the best end of this deal.....
Thanks.  I'm glad you liked it.  I had entered the two beers separately in a sours competition and they both scored in the lower 20's so I wasn't very confident in it.  The majority of the blend, about 75%, is from a solara project that's been aging for about 5 years.  The other part is from a Brett C batch, also very old, but it was showing a bit too much acetic, vinegar flavor for me and was extremely sour.  I kind of liked the way the blend turned out.  I may mix up some more and carb it up.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2015, 01:42:23 PM »

Thanks.  I'm glad you liked it.  I had entered the two beers separately in a sours competition and they both scored in the lower 20's so I wasn't very confident in it.  The majority of the blend, about 75%, is from a solara project that's been aging for about 5 years.  The other part is from a Brett C batch, also very old, but it was showing a bit too much acetic, vinegar flavor for me and was extremely sour.  I kind of liked the way the blend turned out.  I may mix up some more and carb it up.

My taste for sours runs on the lower pH range - too sour for some,but it is all about the overall impression with these beers in my opinion.  I enjoyed it - you might find my sours to be a bit overwhelming (my Berliner is 2.9 pH - great with a raspberry syrup, though!)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2015, 07:17:02 PM »
A very generous and interesting assortment just arrived all the way from RI! Thanks Eric (erockrph) I am chilling them now. Going to give them a day or two to recuperate,  then take my sweet time.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »
A very generous and interesting assortment just arrived all the way from RI! Thanks Eric (erockrph) I am chilling them now. Going to give them a day or two to recuperate,  then take my sweet time.

I recognize the Jack's Abbey and 2 Roads. I recently had the two roads and liked it. Jack's Abbey is a lager only brewery.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2015, 10:09:56 PM »
Who is a happy swapper now? Thanks Mike G

And a home brew as well!
Edit to correct happy typo
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:16:59 PM by 69franx »
Frank L.