Author Topic: Swap-toberfest '15  (Read 23643 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #240 on: October 28, 2015, 11:56:37 PM »
Yes, it's one aspect of vinous.  "Port" is another oxidation quality in that vein.
And the Muscat/Sauvignon Blanc note common in some NZ hops is yet another possible application of the term "vinous" in brewing.
I would also add the sherry like flavor that a high gravity aged beer or mead can get. I just bottled a 4 year old cranberry mead and I'm trying to decide how I like that aspect. I think I have to accept that the answer is sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #241 on: October 29, 2015, 12:48:36 AM »
One thing that a fellow judge and I were also discussing this weekend was the 'buttery' character of chardonnay and that there was likely a diacetyl component to it since there was a local brewery who aged a beer in chardonnay barrels that came across as a butter bomb.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #242 on: October 29, 2015, 12:50:47 AM »
One thing that a fellow judge and I were also discussing this weekend was the 'buttery' character of chardonnay and that there was likely a diacetyl component to it since there was a local brewery who aged a beer in chardonnay barrels that came across as a butter bomb.

I only get buttery in Chardonnay when Oaked. Stainless Chardonnays don't give me that.

edit:  interesting .....
"What Makes a Chardonnay Buttery?

Malolactic fermentation (or sometimes malolactic conversionor MLF) is a process in winemaking where tart-tasting malic acid, naturally present in grape must, is converted to softer-tasting lactic acid. Malolactic fermentation tends to create a rounder, fuller mouthfeel. It has been said that malic acid tastes of green apples. By contrast, lactic acid is richer and more buttery tasting. Grapes produced in cool regions tend to be high in acidity much of which comes from the contribution of malic acid. MLF is also thought to generally enhance the body and flavor persistence of wine, producing wines of greater palate softness and roundness. Many winemakers also feel that better integration of fruit and oak character can be achieved if MLF occurs during the time the wine is in barrel.

The two winemaking decisions that most widely affect the end result of a Chardonnaywine is whether or not to use malolactic fermentation and the degree of oakinfluence used for the wine. With malolactic fermentation (or MLF), the harder malic acid gets converted into the softer lactic acid which creates the “buttery-ness” that is associated with some styles of Chardonnay. The wines that do not go though MLF will have more green apple like flavors."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 12:57:12 AM by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #243 on: October 29, 2015, 02:20:16 AM »
Yes, it's one aspect of vinous.  "Port" is another oxidation quality in that vein.

Could be just me, but I've always associated vinous more with body and mouthfeel than flavor.  Syrupy liquid, which clings to the glass, is vinous to me.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #244 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:07 AM »

Could be just me, but I've always associated vinous more with body and mouthfeel than flavor.  Syrupy liquid, which clings to the glass, is vinous to me.

I have always associated vinouos with people named "Vinnie". When someone says "fahgettaboutit!" that's vinouous.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #245 on: October 29, 2015, 02:33:30 AM »
Nice!  Sometimes it just means Fuggedaboutit.

It occurs to me I was thinking viscous. Not vinous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #246 on: October 29, 2015, 02:35:30 AM »
Nice!  Sometimes it just means Fuggedaboutit.

It occurs to me I was thinking viscous. Not vinous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #247 on: October 29, 2015, 12:43:48 PM »
Nice exchange here with Jim and Amanda, nice chance to learn something. Definitely a class move by Amanda to PM Jim the review first and for Jim to be willing to discuss the constructive feedback. You are both total grown ups!
Well thanks. Thats the whole point of these swaps. Just like we were sitting together having a beer, cuz one day we will be. Also its ok if every beer isnt pop your eyes out amazing. That Helles won a ribbon, but I know it has a long way ti go till im happy with it. If I cant take criticism and suggestions how will I ever get it there?

But I agree with you, for a forum this one is grown up.

This here is the reason I stay on this forum. I enjoy the respect that everyone affords one another.

As for the beer - I'm always open to hopefully help people in the quest of making better beer. The exchange that Jim and I are having is exactly like what we do at the end of our club meetings. We have a private session called "If you really want to know". Some of our more experienced judges stick around after the meeting is officially over and anyone can come up and talk about their beer, what they intended, how it is perceived, the process the brewer used, what they may want to work on for next time, etc. I love this part - it's as much of a learning experience for the brewers as it is for me sometimes.

Anyway - this forum is similar to my club. And that makes me happy.  :D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Education Director
BJCP Assistant Education Director
BJCP Master/Mead

Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Online toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #248 on: October 29, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »

I only get buttery in Chardonnay when Oaked. Stainless Chardonnays don't give me that.

Full disclosure: I don't drink Chardonnay at all, so I'm not sure if what wine drinkers are describing as buttery is the same thing.  IME, pedio produces a lot of diacetyl that doesn't get cleaned up without some other yeast or bug.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #249 on: October 29, 2015, 01:50:34 PM »

Same here. I can't drink oaked Chardonnay because of the butter. Stainless (or apparently non-MLF) Chardonnays are awesome though. Cline Vineyards makes a pretty stellar one.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Education Director
BJCP Assistant Education Director
BJCP Master/Mead

Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #250 on: October 30, 2015, 04:39:04 PM »
I made it before the end of the month!

Blatz will soon be receiving some of what Vermont has to offer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #251 on: October 30, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
Nice exchange here with Jim and Amanda, nice chance to learn something. Definitely a class move by Amanda to PM Jim the review first and for Jim to be willing to discuss the constructive feedback. You are both total grown ups!
Well thanks. Thats the whole point of these swaps. Just like we were sitting together having a beer, cuz one day we will be. Also its ok if every beer isnt pop your eyes out amazing. That Helles won a ribbon, but I know it has a long way ti go till im happy with it. If I cant take criticism and suggestions how will I ever get it there?

But I agree with you, for a forum this one is grown up.

This here is the reason I stay on this forum. I enjoy the respect that everyone affords one another.

As for the beer - I'm always open to hopefully help people in the quest of making better beer. The exchange that Jim and I are having is exactly like what we do at the end of our club meetings. We have a private session called "If you really want to know". Some of our more experienced judges stick around after the meeting is officially over and anyone can come up and talk about their beer, what they intended, how it is perceived, the process the brewer used, what they may want to work on for next time, etc. I love this part - it's as much of a learning experience for the brewers as it is for me sometimes.

Anyway - this forum is similar to my club. And that makes me happy.  :D
Amanda, in keeping with your post here, I hope the 2 reviews I have done on your beer so far were not too far off the mark. 
Frank L.
Fermenting: Ringler Pilsner (thanx Ron)
Conditioning: BVIP (thanx Denny)
In keg: Traquair House Clone (Skotrat style)
In the works:  Czech Dark Lager, American Pale Ale

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #252 on: October 30, 2015, 07:23:07 PM »
I might have broken @heavydeadlifts... I sent some really big beers. :)
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #253 on: October 30, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »

I might have broken @heavydeadlifts... I sent some really big beers. :)

Very big beers...ill have to find the time over the weekend to do a nice write up

BTW, what yeast did you use for the saison? French saison 3711?
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #254 on: October 30, 2015, 09:44:30 PM »
Belle Saison. Some people like it and some really hate it. I love it fermented cool and then let to free rise.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<