Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pseudo Open Fermentation with blowoff?  (Read 3996 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Pseudo Open Fermentation with blowoff?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 06:33:37 am »
Wow! That is craziness!

Mark, why is NCYC 1333 not for beginners?
Jesse

narvin

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 07:40:55 am »
Yeah, in the first 24 hours it extruded upward into random shapes like play-doh pasta.  Very pretty to look at. Once fermentation began the CO2 kind of evened it out.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 07:58:16 am »
NCYC 1333 is a Yorkshire square-type yeast.  It is classified O2-wise as a class O3/04 yeast (see Brian H. Kirsop's seminal paper on the subject: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1974.tb03614.x/pdf).  NCYC 1333 is the polar opposite of FST 219/UCD 1219.   FST 219/UCD 1219 is difficult to grow on solid media, but it performs beautifully in wort.  NCYC 1333 is easy to grow on solid media, but is difficult to propagate in liquid media.  Yeast grows on the surface of solid media, which means that it is growing in an O2-rich environment (air is 21% O2).  NCYC 1333 is the first culture that I have had to shake more than once using my method.  Yorkshire square-type strains are strange beasts.

By the way, true Ringwood is a Yorkshire square-type yeast.  It originates with Webster's Brewery in Halifax, West Yorkshire. 

I have been involved in exchanges with Graham Wheeler on an British brewing site. Graham believes that we should think of British yeast cultures in terms of regions, not breweries, as breweries within a region routinely shared yeast up until recently.  This assertion makes sense because Peter Austin acquired Ringwood from the Hull brewery located in Hull, East Yorkshire, which acquired the culture from Webster's Brewery. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:10:08 am by S. cerevisiae »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 08:48:36 am »
Ok, I've never seen krausen like that. Looks like freaking pork rinds ! Or shipping peanuts.

The krausen formed with zero top-pressure is always usually more interesting than the krausen formed in a closed system.  However, that strain is an outlier.  The crazy thing is that the cultures sold by Wyeast and White Labs are single isolates, which means that they are not complete Ringwood cultures.  Ringwood is even more interesting when it is a complete culture. 

Here's a time lapse video of a Ringwood fermentation.  The head takes on a brain-like texture later in the fermentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyM7cx01g4E&feature=youtu.be&t=8m23s
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:41:37 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline hopshead

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 08:33:43 pm »
Interesting discussion on open fermentation.  So do you all think a blow off tube not immersed in a sanitizer (closed system) would mimic an open fermentation?  Do you think WLP 051 would beca good open fermentation type of yeast?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »
Interesting discussion on open fermentation.  So do you all think a blow off tube not immersed in a sanitizer (closed system) would mimic an open fermentation?  Do you think WLP 051 would beca good open fermentation type of yeast?
I don't know if WLP051 is a great choice for open fermentation. It's a fairly clean strain. The strains that are the best candidates are generally more estery strains like English or hefe strains.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 09:52:55 pm »
Interesting discussion on open fermentation.  So do you all think a blow off tube not immersed in a sanitizer (closed system) would mimic an open fermentation? 

That's the open fermentaton equivalent of being a little pregnant.   Man up, and take the darn cover off! :)

Do you think WLP 051 would beca good open fermentation type of yeast?

WLP051 is Siebel BRY 97.  Siebel BRY 97 is the Ballantine Ale strain. 

Here's what the Ballantine Ale strain looked like in its glory days:

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 10:33:51 pm »

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 09:12:25 am »
Posting this in the most complementary way possible, Mark. You're an incredible resource regarding all things ale yeast.

https://youtu.be/ZeWgnPeZES8

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 09:42:50 am »
Posting this in the most complementary way possible, Mark. You're an incredible resource regarding all things ale yeast.

LOL, nice.
Jesse

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 09:49:59 am »

That's funny.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae (ale yeast) is more interesting that Saccharomyces Pastorianus (lager yeast).  There's just so much more biodiversity. I often wonder if early brewing scientists such as Emil Hansen did not throw away biodiversity in their quest to isolate lager yeast strains from mixed cultures.  Pure lager yeast and refrigeration made brewing on a scale never before possible.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 05:25:20 pm »
I placed an order with Siebel. I am adding BRY 264 and BRY 203 to my collection.

By the way, I skimmed my NCYC 1333 crop this evening (I skimmed the brown head two days ago)

Before

After