Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hop Quantity: A Little vs. A Lot | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 4003 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Dry Hop Quantity: A Little vs. A Lot | exBEERiment Results!
« on: September 21, 2015, 05:56:59 am »
A technique we've all come to appreciate for imparting oodles of hop aroma is dry hopping, with opinions regarding how to do it being quite vast. We were curious-- is there a point to where the quantity of dry hops added no longer makes a difference? For this xBmt, we compared a split batch of the same beer dry hopped with drastically different amounts. Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/09/21/dry-hop-quantity-a-little-vs-a-lot-exbeeriment-results/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Dry Hop Quantity: A Little vs. A Lot | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 06:26:05 am »
That was pretty cut and dried, nice job. Moar hops!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 06:36:53 am »
Nice job. Definitely lines up with my experience.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 07:33:32 am »
Great experiment -- sounds tasty!

More interesting to me would be the difference between 180 grams and like 270 grams and 360 grams (in 11 gallons).  That's the frontier that needs to be explored.  We knew 60 grams would be relatively wimpy.  But where is that point of diminishing returns, exactly?  I'll go by ounces here because that's what I know: commercial brewers usually/always seem to peak at 0.6 to 0.75 oz per gallon.  What if we used a full ounce per gallon, what does that do?  Can you really cram more flavor in at that point, or is it just a big waste of beer lost in the hop trub?  Next time (I'm sure there will be a next time, yes?!).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 07:51:11 am »
curious if you agitated during dryhopping at all or just dump in and let them eventually sink - i didn't see that listed in your write up.  great experiment as always!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 08:01:36 am »

More interesting to me would be the difference between 180 grams and like 270 grams and 360 grams (in 11 gallons).  That's the frontier that needs to be explored.  We knew 60 grams would be relatively wimpy.  But where is that point of diminishing returns, exactly?  I'll go by ounces here because that's what I know: commercial brewers usually/always seem to peak at 0.6 to 0.75 oz per gallon.  What if we used a full ounce per gallon, what does that do?  Can you really cram more flavor in at that point, or is it just a big waste of beer lost in the hop trub?  Next time (I'm sure there will be a next time, yes?!).

I've seen quite a few recipes from breweries who use 1 oz+/gal dry in their IPAs ( Ballast Point, La Cumbre to name a couple). I do as well. I'm sure there's a threshold there somewhere, but I feel it's above that point.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 08:10:03 am »
Nice write up. So it was a noticeable difference, but the batch with less dry hops was preferred? Were there any common comments from the tasters as to why that was? Too much vegetal taste, too bitter, better balance flavor wise, etc?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 09:01:07 am »
Awesome write up, thanks again for doing these - agree with dmtaylor, if you ever do a round 2 I'd love to see you really load it up, like 2oz/gallon.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 09:03:40 am »

Agree with this 100%. The results so far match my experience rather closely. If you do end up running a followup xBmt to test the high end of the dry-hop range, it will be interesting if you hit a point where the tasters start noticing grassiness or harsh vegetal bitterness.

You also mentioned how quickly the hop character dropped off over time. That also matches my experience for beers relying on a heavy dry-hop addition. I find that hoppy beers that rely more on a large, long hop-stand hold up a lot better over time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 09:52:11 am »

Seems like since it's subjective it would be pretty hard to quantify a point of diminishing returns.  It would depend on the ability of each individual tester.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 03:11:53 pm »
In my experience the aromatic punch of hops varies enormously between varieties, different batches, and age and storage of the package, so trying to calculate the right amount for optimum dry hopping or the threshold at which returns diminish significantly is likely to be difficult or perhaps impossible.

I'd be interested to know how the two beers would have compared if you'd used equal quantities of hops in both, but one biased towards dry hopping and the other biased towards flameout hop steep. I've got fantastic flavour from flameout steeps from Citra and Mosaic with no dry hopping, but I do think it's different kind of flavour than dry hopping gives - perhaps different aromatic oils are extracted at different temperatures.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 03:57:42 pm »
I've got fantastic flavour from flameout steeps from Citra and Mosaic with no dry hopping, but I do think it's different kind of flavour than dry hopping gives - perhaps different aromatic oils are extracted at different temperatures.

I agree, and luckily steeping and dry hopping aren't mutually exclusive. I love both. I do both on most American styles especially, since I think each gives different character.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 04:30:50 pm »
Look at the oil %, and you will see that Citra is high, Mosaic is fairly high.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 05:22:00 pm »
I'd be interested to know how the two beers would have compared if you'd used equal quantities of hops in both, but one biased towards dry hopping and the other biased towards flameout hop steep.
We absolutely have this one planned :)

Offline tommymorris

Dry Hop Quantity: A Little vs. A Lot | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 06:22:37 pm »
Is there a proper balance (ratio) of dry hops to original gravity of the beer? In other words, it seems to me an APA should be dry hopped less than an IPA.

I think that is true but don't brew enough of either style to say so definitively.

I know the proper balance of dry hops to gravity would be subjective. But are there common ranges?

PS. I am about to brew an APA with OG of 1050 and planning 0.33oz dry hop (Galaxy) per gallon. Does this seem too high, too low?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:24:24 pm by alestateyall »