Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hop Quantity: A Little vs. A Lot | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 4005 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Dry Hop Quantity: A Little vs. A Lot | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 06:28:13 pm »
Is there a proper balance (ratio) of dry hops to original gravity of the beer? In other words, it seems to me an APA should be dry hopped less than an IPA.

I think that is true but don't brew enough of either style to say so definitively.

I know the proper balance of dry hops to gravity would be subjective. But are there common ranges?

PS. I am about to brew an APA with OG of 1050 and planning 0.33oz dry hop (Galaxy) per gallon. Does this seem too high, too low?

Definitely takes trial and error to find what you like, but I dry hop APAs @ 2.5-3 oz/ 5 gallons, with IPAs more like 5-6 oz/5 gallons. Just personal preference.
Jon H.

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 07:22:11 pm »
Is there a proper balance (ratio) of dry hops to original gravity of the beer? In other words, it seems to me an APA should be dry hopped less than an IPA.

I think that is true but don't brew enough of either style to say so definitively.

I know the proper balance of dry hops to gravity would be subjective. But are there common ranges?

PS. I am about to brew an APA with OG of 1050 and planning 0.33oz dry hop (Galaxy) per gallon. Does this seem too high, too low?

I brewed two identical beers with only swapping out Galaxy for Azacca only because my LBS didn't have any Galaxy at that time.  HUGE difference in hop aroma, I couldn't believe that the total hop quantities were the same. Galaxy is one hop I will continue to use

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 05:10:19 pm »

I brewed two identical beers with only swapping out Galaxy for Azacca only because my LBS didn't have any Galaxy at that time.  HUGE difference in hop aroma, I couldn't believe that the total hop quantities were the same. Galaxy is one hop I will continue to use

Galaxy is incredible.

Offline astrobeer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 01:02:12 pm »
Great job!
Do you have plans to exBeeriment with length of time dry hopping?

Offline lbrennan41

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 12:10:33 pm »
I rarely (this may be my first post, I'm more of a lurker) post but this was really interesting.  Just in time too as I plan on brewing a nice big IIPA for the fall/winter.  I have never dry hopped with more than 2.5oz per 5 gallons.  this, of all the things I have read on hops, kinda opened my eyes to the fact that I need to man up and get some damn hops in these beers I brew.  Thanks!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 07:49:36 pm »
I rarely (this may be my first post, I'm more of a lurker) post but this was really interesting.  Just in time too as I plan on brewing a nice big IIPA for the fall/winter.  I have never dry hopped with more than 2.5oz per 5 gallons.  this, of all the things I have read on hops, kinda opened my eyes to the fact that I need to man up and get some damn hops in these beers I brew.  Thanks!
If you really want to man up, brew one of these  ;D

(that is 1 gallon of wort at "whirlpool")
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

evil_morty

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 04:33:37 am »
I'm surprised that only 15/29 people could pick out the different beer.  I was expecting something like 20/29 or higher.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:35:12 am by evil_morty »