Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermentation lag times  (Read 1411 times)

Offline petermmitchell

• Cellarman
fermentation lag times
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:10:11 am »
On Sunday, I pitched 200ml of slurry into an IPA gave it 60 seconds of pure O2.  About 2 days later, I am finally seeing signs of fermentation starting.  The slurry was from an amber I brewed with wlp090 and was kept in my fridge for about 5 days prior to pitching into the IPA.  Given this lag time, I am thinking there must have been something to impact my pitch rate / viability.  Before bottling the amber I had kept it for an additional week at 75, which is what I ramped the temperature up to after the initial 4-5 days at 63, to finish out.  This was not my plan but I could not avoid it due to being on vacation.  Does this theory make sense or not?  Also, would you expect a lot of off flavors? FYI I plan to rebrew this exact recipe as soon as I can with a healthly pitch of fresh yeast.  Thanks for any help!       

S. cerevisiae

Re: fermentation lag times
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 08:56:28 am »
You should have had active fermentation within twelve hours with that much yeast.  What was the O.G. of the batch from which you cropped the yeast?  Was the slurry thin or thick?  How much non-yeast organic matter would you estimate was in your crop?  At what temperature did you pitch and start the batch?  Holding the yeast at 75F should not be the source of your problem.  That's room temperature.  S. cerevisiae will grow at 37C, which is the temperature of the human body.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:20:00 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline petermmitchell

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:36:51 am »
The O.G. of the batch I cropped from was 1.054.  Slurry was normal in thickness, didn't seem overly thick or thin to me.  Sorry if that isn't helpful.  There wasn't that much non-yeast matter, maybe a small layer on the bottom.  I siphon off the top of my kettle and leave the trub behind, so most of it doesn't go into my fermentors.  I pitched at 63 and held for 3-4 days then I ramped up to 70.  I did this on batch I cropped from and current holding at 65 on the IPA, slightly higher to help speed things up.   

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 03:31:43 pm »
Your experience with this strain is odd to say the least.  There has to be something that you missed?  Whatever you do from this point forward, keep good notes.  This type of problem has a way of revisiting one's brewery.  Two hundred milliliters of slurry is a lot of cells, but it is not a ridiculous number of cells.   I am curious if there was a negative interaction between the pure O2 and the culture.  That's a SWAG (scientific wild-*** guess) at best.  Was the period of time between pitching the amber and the IPA less that a month?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:25:31 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »
yes this is somewhat atypical with my experience and wlp090. 12-18hrs would be max with fresh yeast/slurry IME. i use O2 for couple minutes also.

none of this means you're going to produce bad beer- you will have to wait and see.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline petermmitchell

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 05:00:20 pm »
Thanks for your help!  It was about 3 weeks between pitching the amber and the IPA.  Luckily now it is showing signs of fermentation finally.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 06:22:49 pm »
Did you manage to get any pH readings?  How heavily did you hop the IPA and the amber?  I am just curious at this point because you appear to have handled every step correctly.  That yeast strain is fairly forgiving of mistakes.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 07:19:34 pm »
Maybe the O2 was a bit heavy handed if you aerated after pitching?  I suggest aerating first then pitching the slurry.  Just another SWAG, but perhaps the O2 had some detrimental effect....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline petermmitchell

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 07:32:06 pm »
I don't have a ph meter so no readings, but I targeted a mash ph of 5.3 in brun water and used adjusted ro water.  The Amber was fairly hopped, used the Waldo lake Amber recipe.  The IPA is a blind pig clone, so more hopped than the amber.  I did pitch the yeast prior to the oxygenating.  Is it better to oxygenate and then add the yeast?  Which do you recommend typically to do first?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 05:19:50 am »
I don't have a ph meter so no readings, but I targeted a mash ph of 5.3 in brun water and used adjusted ro water.  The Amber was fairly hopped, used the Waldo lake Amber recipe.  The IPA is a blind pig clone, so more hopped than the amber.  I did pitch the yeast prior to the oxygenating.  Is it better to oxygenate and then add the yeast?  Which do you recommend typically to do first?

everything i've read has been to aerate then pitch-not the other way. Mark should be able to comment on possible detriment pitching yeast then adding O2.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: