Author Topic: Black Pepper bomb - Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Black Pepper bomb - Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes?
« on: September 22, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »
I just bottled a Belgian Pale / Specialty Ale after using 3522 for the first time. It appears I made a black pepper bomb (3 weeks at 69-71 degrees).

I sampled it warm & cold and unfortunately did not like it at all. Obviously it's a wait and see game now, but do you think carbonation will tone that down much? How about time in the bottle?

Is this normal for this yeast? I remember when doing a bit of research that pepper was casually mentioned, but the yeast is a popular and balanced choice.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:47:57 PM by curtism1234 »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Black Pepper bomb - Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 05:17:43 PM »
I use that yeast a lot and can't say I've ever gotten that with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 05:26:09 PM »
I just recently used it as well and didn't get that either. It's a really nice and balanced Belgian strain, I think. Wonder what would cause black pepper? Doubt it's fermentation temp as mine was fermented at 68-70F.
What hops were in this pale ale?
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »

Single hopped Azacca. Mostly late additions with .5oz dry hopped for 5 days

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 06:24:27 PM »

Definitely not peppery/spicy hops. Sounds like a yeast/temp thing.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »

But if that was it, why haven't others of us experienced it?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 06:59:54 PM »

But if that was it, why haven't others of us experienced it?

I've never experienced it with 3522 either, Denny. But I normally start it at 64-65F - he said he held 69-71F.  Knowing how temp critical Belgian yeasts can be, I though it made sense. Azacca hops are all tropical and citrus to me. But I could be wrong.

EDIT -  Or they could have given him the wrong hops I guess.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:01:40 PM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 07:20:41 PM »
I've never experienced it with 3522 either, Denny. But I normally start it at 64-65F - he said he held 69-71F.  Knowing how temp critical Belgian yeasts can be, I though it made sense. Azacca hops are all tropical and citrus to me. But I could be wrong.

The hops were sealed in a BSG brand bag. It smelled very tropical, so I'm pretty confident they were correctly Azacca.

As to the temp, it was placed in the basement at 69 degrees for 2 weeks and moved upstairs the last week where temps got into the low 70's. If it got too warm, would it be more prone to this characteristic?

I did not rack to a secondary, it rested on the yeastbed for 3 weeks.

I run a very simple system - biab, 1 kettle, straight to fermenter. I did toss out my old fermenter and used a brand new plastic 'ale pail'. I felt it was cleaned good though.

Do you all find that your carbed beer tastes the same as it does flat on bottling day when using this yeast?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:27:38 PM by curtism1234 »

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 07:25:46 PM »

The hops were sealed in a BSG brand bag. It smelled very tropical, so I'm pretty confident they were correctly Azacca.

As to the temp, it was placed in the basement at 69 degrees for 2 weeks and moved upstairs the last week where temps got into the low 70's. If it got too warm, would it be more prone to this characteristic?

I did not rack to a secondary, it rested on the yeastbed for 3 weeks.

I run a very simple system - biab, 1 kettle, straight to fermenter. I did toss out my old fermenter and used a brand new plastic 'ale pail'. I felt it was cleaned good though.

Do you all find that your carbed beer tastes the same as it does flat on bottling day when using this yeast?

Most beers taste better after the most of the yeast drop clear. I've never experienced that with that yeast, but I'll bet you like it a lot better by the time it's carbed up. Be sure to post how it comes out.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 07:27:54 PM »
If it was at 69 ambient you were likely running closer to 75 inside the beer. maybe even 80 if it was really cranking. That could produce some serious phenols in a Belgian yeast.

It is probably not going to fade appreciably if that's the case but it will blend in with the other flavors a bit more. It will be less evident when it's cold although the carbonation will make the aroma more evident. Carb it up and see what happens. worst case scenario you chuck it out later. Might be good for cooking with though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 07:56:04 PM »
If it was at 69 ambient you were likely running closer to 75 inside the beer. maybe even 80 if it was really cranking. That could produce some serious phenols in a Belgian yeast.

It is probably not going to fade appreciably if that's the case but it will blend in with the other flavors a bit more. It will be less evident when it's cold although the carbonation will make the aroma more evident. Carb it up and see what happens. worst case scenario you chuck it out later. Might be good for cooking with though.

My experience with that yeast is that elevated temps will cause excessive esters, but not really much in the way of phenols.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 08:13:52 PM »

My experience with that yeast is that elevated temps will cause excessive esters, but not really much in the way of phenols.
Could be. I've only used it once and in a blend.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 08:49:28 PM »
I've used Ardennes a lot.  I've never gotten pepper from it, at any temperature, as far as I can recall.

If anything, I find this yeast to be more tart than spicy.

How yeasty is the sample?  If it hasn't dropped clear, maybe your tasting the yeast?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 09:00:21 PM »
I've used Ardennes a lot.  I've never gotten pepper from it, at any temperature, as far as I can recall.

If anything, I find this yeast to be more tart than spicy.

How yeasty is the sample?  If it hasn't dropped clear, maybe your tasting the yeast?

The first sample I took was right out of the spigot with lots of yeast - so it's expected to not be the greatest. I did another sample halfway through the batch, it was very clear but still had that peppery flavor and smell.

But the fridge should clear things up even more when I go to drink them

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 09:09:11 PM »
In my experience, a yeasty sample has a lot of off flavors.  To me, yeast tastes mostly bitter and... yeasty.  Maybe to you it tastes spicy?  On a clear sample, though, you shouldn't get strong yeast flavors.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton