Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBW Alternative?  (Read 21292 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: PBW Alternative?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 10:24:33 am »
Good to know Denny. I don't have trouble getting oxiclean to dissolve, but my SOP is to fill a bucket about half way before adding the cleaner and stir the heck out of it.

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 10:30:07 am »
A chelating agent is only necessary if you are using hard water to create your solution. If you use softened water or RO water, the benefit of the chelating agent is moot.  Maybe this is why some Oxiclean users report no problems.

This is how I know I need to add salt to my softener. ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 11:06:49 am »
Good to know Denny. I don't have trouble getting oxiclean to dissolve, but my SOP is to fill a bucket about half way before adding the cleaner and stir the heck out of it.

It's not just the dissolving...it actually cleans better.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 01:12:54 pm »
This is the company that Denny uses. They have powder and tabs. www.craftmeister.com

Yep.  Better than Oxi or PBW.  Drew did a test.....http://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/craftmeister-cleaners-picturing-carboy-test

One thing we found is that the Crafmeister cleaners dissolve better than either Oxi or PBW.  Turns out that Oxi and PBW  source their percarbonate from the laundry industry and it has a coating that doesn't full dissolve until 140F.  Craftmeister uses percarbonate made for the chemical industry and it dissolves at 110F.  Don't get me wrong....both Oxi and PBW work well.  But Craftmeister works better.

Good test and interesting results, but they all did well on an overnight soak, so I would say that the Craftmeister Alkaline was worked quicker, rather than better... But I suppose it's all semantics.  I have the tablets to try out next...got them free for judging a couple weeks back.  For what it is worth, I rinse well and clear all crud with just water and a cloth or no scratch scrubbie pad before cleaning carboys, buckets and kegs (usually PBW, but sometimes another cleanser.)  That way I can reuse the PBW solution many times - I just leave it in my homemade keg and carboy washer with a tight lid and it keeps for weeks.  I heard a rumor that PBW is used by Ruth's Crist Steakhouse chains to clean the seared on steak grease from the cast iron plates their steaks are served on.  If so, it must continue working through many cycles.  So, I would be interested to hear if Drew tried these products out on his "assembly line cleaning operation"?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 01:17:58 pm »
FWIW, I had a very grungy keg after using it to both brew and ferment batches from the Zymatic.  PBW didn't touch it.  Craftmeister alkaline, in cold water, made it look like new.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 01:25:41 pm »
Good to hear, Denny. - sounds  like I might switch when my current keg of PBW runs out.

How are the Craftmeister tabs?  I'm all for easy, peasy stuff - heck I carb growlers of extra beer in batches using the sugar drops....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 01:26:43 pm »

Yep.  Better than Oxi or PBW.  Drew did a test.....http://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/craftmeister-cleaners-picturing-carboy-test

One thing we found is that the Crafmeister cleaners dissolve better than either Oxi or PBW.  Turns out that Oxi and PBW  source their percarbonate from the laundry industry and it has a coating that doesn't full dissolve until 140F.  Craftmeister uses percarbonate made for the chemical industry and it dissolves at 110F.  Don't get me wrong....both Oxi and PBW work well.  But Craftmeister works better.

I am guessing one tab per 5 gallons?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 01:51:11 pm »

I am guessing one tab per 5 gallons?

2 tabs

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 01:51:49 pm »
Good to hear, Denny. - sounds  like I might switch when my current keg of PBW runs out.

How are the Craftmeister tabs?  I'm all for easy, peasy stuff - heck I carb growlers of extra beer in batches using the sugar drops....

They're really good, but you do need to use hot water to get them to dissolve completely.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 02:37:11 pm »
I have bought the fragrance free type in the past, but these days I opt for the 14lb box at Costco and just rinse a bit better.
My theory is that it's like propane gas. The fragrance is good. You know you've done a thorough rinse when the odor is gone.
Fantastic thinking. I now am a fan of oxy with smell. In the past I tried to find oxy free, but used oxy versatile if I couldn't find the free. Now I'm sticking with versatile and remembering your theory

narvin

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 02:50:44 pm »
Just to be clear, CraftMeiseter Alkaline cleaner has caustic in it, right?  So you'd want to be more careful with your safety precautions, and watch what metals you expose it to.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 03:09:16 pm »
Do you get any papery cardboard smell, or poor head retention if you stir the oxy too much?

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 03:37:58 pm »
I have used Easy Clean and liked it. I am currently trying Oxiclean and don't really like the slippery feeling it leaves. I usually give it a quick rinse to loose that feel but prefer Easy Clean. I haven't use PBW because of price.

Might have to give the Craftmeister stuff a try.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 03:40:30 pm »
Just to be clear, CraftMeiseter Alkaline cleaner has caustic in it, right?  So you'd want to be more careful with your safety precautions, and watch what metals you expose it to.

I assume so on all counts.  I haven't used it on anything but SS and plastic.  Like PBW, I wouldn't use it on AL.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 03:41:41 pm »
I have used Easy Clean and liked it. I am currently trying Oxiclean and don't really like the slippery feeling it leaves. I usually give it a quick rinse to loose that feel but prefer Easy Clean. I haven't use PBW because of price.

Might have to give the Craftmeister stuff a try.

You definitely need to rinse well with Oxi, PBW, or any of the Craftmeister stuff.  If anyone has any questions about Craftmeister, I can ask someone there to drop in and answer them.

www.dennybrew.com