Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBW Alternative?  (Read 21284 times)

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: PBW Alternative?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 04:38:14 pm »
I have bought the fragrance free type in the past, but these days I opt for the 14lb box at Costco and just rinse a bit better.
My theory is that it's like propane gas. The fragrance is good. You know you've done a thorough rinse when the odor is gone.
Fantastic thinking. I now am a fan of oxy with smell. In the past I tried to find oxy free, but used oxy versatile if I couldn't find the free. Now I'm sticking with versatile and remembering your theory
That's probably fine for glass, & steel, but be cautious with plastic.  HDPE can absorb fragrance oils fairly easily.  If you soak for too long you could get a build up that might transfer over to the plastic.  It's probably not enough to affect the taste of your beer, but I don't want any flowery perfume in my fermentors.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 08:00:11 pm »
I have bought the fragrance free type in the past, but these days I opt for the 14lb box at Costco and just rinse a bit better.
My theory is that it's like propane gas. The fragrance is good. You know you've done a thorough rinse when the odor is gone.
Fantastic thinking. I now am a fan of oxy with smell. In the past I tried to find oxy free, but used oxy versatile if I couldn't find the free. Now I'm sticking with versatile and remembering your theory
That's probably fine for glass, & steel, but be cautious with plastic.  HDPE can absorb fragrance oils fairly easily.  If you soak for too long you could get a build up that might transfer over to the plastic.  It's probably not enough to affect the taste of your beer, but I don't want any flowery perfume in my fermentors.
There seems to be a flip side to everything. Since I don't use plastic, I'd never thought of that. Glad you pointed it out.

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2015, 08:11:38 pm »
I have used Easy Clean and liked it. I am currently trying Oxiclean and don't really like the slippery feeling it leaves. I usually give it a quick rinse to loose that feel but prefer Easy Clean. I haven't use PBW because of price.

Might have to give the Craftmeister stuff a try.

Do you use the Craftmeister product in similar quantities to PBW?  If so:

Craftmeister = 5 lbs for $32.99 = $6.60/lb (their web site)
PBW = 8 lbs for $49.95 = $6.24/lb (High Gravity)

If it works better or you use less, it is cheaper or more efficacious. 

Otherwise, its a wash (pun intended)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:13:41 pm by macbrews »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 09:57:21 am »

I've used Oxi on my buckets for 15+ years.  No fragrance problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2015, 09:58:44 am »
I have used Easy Clean and liked it. I am currently trying Oxiclean and don't really like the slippery feeling it leaves. I usually give it a quick rinse to loose that feel but prefer Easy Clean. I haven't use PBW because of price.

Might have to give the Craftmeister stuff a try.

Do you use the Craftmeister product in similar quantities to PBW?  If so:

Craftmeister = 5 lbs for $32.99 = $6.60/lb (their web site)
PBW = 8 lbs for $49.95 = $6.24/lb (High Gravity)

If it works better or you use less, it is cheaper or more efficacious. 

Otherwise, its a wash (pun intended)

It definitely works better.  Craftmeister also has a refill program.  If your LHBS is on that, you can get containers refilled at a discount.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2015, 12:52:11 pm »

I've used Oxi on my buckets for 15+ years.  No fragrance problems.
I soak corny kegs in oxy overnight. I recirculate it hot in my BK and Stainless MT. I use it in my Speidel fermentors hot, but they only soak till the krausen ring falls (about 20 min). I soak labels off bottles with it, and use it to clean bottles before sanitizing. So far I've not noticed any lingering aromas, but I suppose its entirely possible.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2015, 01:35:53 pm »
I use Oxiclean Free.  Definitely no fragrance issues.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2015, 05:12:42 pm »
I've been mixing my own Oxy,Red Devil TSP, and dish powder.  It has been working great and I've not had any issues.  My water is hard so I haven't done many long term soaks.  Last time I did one with Oxy I tossed my bottles.  I'd like to buy something by the drum the next time.  Once I started brewing big batches the demand goes up.  I like the idea of not needing hot water.  I'm going to give that product a shot.
Jeff B

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2015, 04:35:24 pm »

Craftmeister also has a refill program.  If your LHBS is on that, you can get containers refilled at a discount.

If your LHBS even carries Craftmaster.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2015, 10:09:45 pm »
Just picked up some oxyclean (along with my first gelatin purchase) from target - only used it on 2 kegs, one that was used for serving and another for fermenting. Worked well but I did need to manually scrub out some gunk on the fermentaton keg.

Offline rebuiltcellars

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2015, 05:22:40 am »
Sigh.  After years of making due with a locally available but weaker version of Oxyclean, my LHBS finally started to carry PBW this year.  I wonder how long I'll need to wait before he stocks Craftmaster.
A clever/funny quote goes here.

Primary: Beer, wine or empty
Secondary: We don't need no stinking secondary
Bottled/Kegged: Beer, wine or empty

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 02:42:08 pm »
It definitely works better.

The oxywash version or the alkali?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 02:51:25 pm »
It definitely works better.

The oxywash version or the alkali?

Both, IMO.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 03:32:09 pm »
Going to clean some Big Mouth Bubbler and Better Bottle PET fermenters this weekend and was wondering about Craftmeister tabs and that type of plastic?  Anyone have any experience on that?  I know that I have been hesitant to use PBW on the PET types in the past (something about micro cracking)...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
PBW Alternative?
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 04:33:01 pm »
I think the micro cracking is overblown. If used at the proper concentration, the PET should be fine. When I soak my old as hell better bottles, I add my cleaner to a bucket and mix before I add to the fermenter. This, in my opinion, helps to keep the concentration from being too high.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:41:21 pm by Steve in TX »