Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kenmore Elite Freezer Conversion  (Read 3648 times)

Offline vleonino

• 1st Kit
Kenmore Elite Freezer Conversion
« on: September 22, 2015, 07:10:22 pm »
I was lucky enough to pick up a nice Kenmore Elite Freezer for $100. I currently do not have a fermentation chamber or a keezer. Initially I would like to use this as a fermentation chamber but possibly use it as a keezer if i am not fermenting or convert it to a keezer down the road.

This freezer has a digital thermostat but the max temperature I can set is 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Is there a way to easily override this max temperature?  I really would rather not take apart this freezer and risk ruining it. I saw some plug in temperature controllers that are an option. Does anyone have any suggestions for a plug and play temperature controller or another easy solution?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Kenmore Elite Freezer Conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 07:17:21 pm »
Plenty of plug in options. Inkbird, Johnson, Ranco, plus many others. I have an analog Johnson on my keezer as I don't care what temp the dial says, I only care what temp the beer is.

Inkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1000w, w/ Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011296704/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_IZFawb7HC3AAG

Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EAL58/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_c0FawbBKNGDRD

RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015NV5BE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Q1Fawb45RBDSZ

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:47:22 pm »
I have the Johnson A419. Super easy to set up and has worked great for me. At first I just used it for my keezer but have now started using my keezer as my lager chamber too. I am very pleased with the product and the price is worth the ease to me. Set it to the temp you want and forget it. Can't recommend it enough.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:18:44 pm »
I have the Johnson A419. Super easy to set up and has worked great for me. At first I just used it for my keezer but have now started using my keezer as my lager chamber too. I am very pleased with the product and the price is worth the ease to me. Set it to the temp you want and forget it. Can't recommend it enough.
+1 - I use mine on my chest freezer that is a lager chamber/keezer, and it works perfectly. Set the thermostat on the freezer as low as it will go and the external controller will turn it on/off as needed to maintain temp. Easy as pie.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline vleonino

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:59:39 pm »
Thankso so much for the suggestions everyone!

Offline Toasted360

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 05:02:45 pm »
Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 07:32:36 pm »
Is that a frost-free freezer with removable shelves?  If so, you made a major score.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 09:26:34 pm »
There's also this guy: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=334

I like it better than the Johnson A419 I used to use, and it's dual stage as well.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline vleonino

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 12:38:40 am »
Yes it is a frost free freezer with removable shelves :) it can easily fit four 6.5 gallon buckets in it.

Offline rcarlson2121

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 07:40:44 pm »
That's great! Cool idea, thanks for the post!

Offline smokeymcb

• Cellarman
  • The Cooker of the Foods
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 11:17:04 am »
If youre into DIY, STC 1000's can be had for super cheap.  I think I paid $32 for a two pack with free shipping from china lol...
Anyone got a lighter??

Rob C.