Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Primary in a Corny Keg  (Read 1695 times)

Offline MarvinSwordenski

• 1st Kit
Primary in a Corny Keg
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:22:25 am »
Initial primary is completed in the 5 gal corny so I moved it and installed a lid with an airlock and the dip tube to transfer later. I haven't seen any airlock activity at all but check the SG and it has dropped 15 points in the last 5 days. You'd think that the fittings are tight and the airlock is clamped pretty good this would be good sealed.

For those who do this do you, after primary completes do you pressure seal the lid with the usual 20-30 PSI and let it continue without any airlock?

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: Primary in a Corny Keg
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:55:52 am »
Initial primary is completed in the 5 gal corny so I moved it and installed a lid with an airlock and the dip tube to transfer later. I haven't seen any airlock activity at all but check the SG and it has dropped 15 points in the last 5 days. You'd think that the fittings are tight and the airlock is clamped pretty good this would be good sealed.

For those who do this do you, after primary completes do you pressure seal the lid with the usual 20-30 PSI and let it continue without any airlock?

I primary in corny's now - I use a gutted gas in disconnect connected with tubing that runs into a growler of sanitizer.

I just let it sit in there for ~ 2 weeks to ferment/cleanup then transfer the beer to a serving keg, I don't pressure seal anything until it's out of the fermentation keg.

Offline MarvinSwordenski

• 1st Kit
Re: Primary in a Corny Keg
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 06:42:30 am »
Thanks Brody,

Sounds simple enough. Yeah, I just jam tubing on the post. Again, simple.
I am so much more comfortable not using glass after so many years and 2 broken carboys.
One thing I'm finding is the corny method takes much longer to finish up. I have one still bubbling in the blowoff jar I brewed last Sunday, 9 days ago. West Coast Ale dry yeast. The US05 stopped late last week.