Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Mills  (Read 10431 times)

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Grain Mills
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 07:33:59 pm »
I use the BC with the large hopper (hey, I have 28-30 pound grain bills, it takes that to fill my 10 gallon igloo)
Power with a 3/8 corded drill with no problems.

Fred

Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 08:00:50 am »
What is the minimum power I should be looking for in a drill if I want to motorize the rollers?  I know some have built motors (belt or gear drive), but I'm more interested in keeping it compact and simple--I don't have the time or talents to build/assemble motors.  The drill route is more practical for my needs.  Any suggestions?

With mine, I first tried my basic 3/8" variable speed reversible Craftsman drill and it didn't work so well.  It didn't have the oomph to get things started.  Once rolling it worked somewhat but not really.  Then I switched to my larger "hammer drill" (obviously not in "hammer" mode although that might be interesting).  The hammer drill works great although I do have to be careful milling rye.
Joe

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 08:07:45 am »
Power demands would depend on the gap (how fine a crush) and more importantly, the size of the rollers.  I know from talking with the designer of the BC that he sized the rollers and drop area to allow most corded (generally more startting torque and running power) 3/8 drills to handle the load.

Fred
Fred Bonjour

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 11:20:39 am »
Thanks guys.  My 3/8" bit corded power drill is 15+ years old (3V, ?A)--it is definitely a light duty, "around the house" type of drill.  I can generate more torque with a regular screwdriver and my hands.  It cannot turn the rollers even with a wide gap between the rollers.  I just wondered if someone knew what minimum power (6 V, 12 V, 18 V) would be needed before I go out and buy one.

Edit:  I have a Skil 6225 3/8" corded drill, 120 V, 3 Amps, 50-60 Hz, 0-2500 RPM, variable speed, reversing, 1/3 HP.  It worked OK for making a hole (using a step drill bit) in the boil kettle.  But it can't do the BarleyCrusher.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:11:25 pm by richardt »

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 11:26:21 am »
The 3v, thru 18v imply a portable battery powered drill.  Only the strongest of these would be capable.

Fred
Fred Bonjour

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 11:32:07 am »
I use a JSP Maltmill powered by a 1/2" drill. Works like a charm.
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 12:04:36 pm »
1/2 inch will have more than enough power
Fred Bonjour

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 07:07:30 pm »
I guess I am down to the maltmill or the BC.

Hey bluesman, do you use the adjustable malt mill or the pre-adjusted model?

I want to power my mill with an exercise bike. That way I can work of all that calorie intake from the beers.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 07:21:26 pm »

I want to power my mill with an exercise bike. That way I can work of all that calorie intake from the beers.

How about just attach a big ship wheel and you can play Popeye, and get some big arms instead?
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 06:40:57 am »
I recently tried doing an upgrade on my mill. I closed the gap setting a little and I put a new top on it to accept a larger hopper (water bottle). 

First I tried my cordless, it started to mill but then slipped on the drive shaft.  Not to be outdone I put a 3/8 corded drill (almost new) on it and smoked the windings!   :o  >:(

I put the old top back on the mill, left the gap setting where it was, used my old smaller hopper with a narrower feed neck and Bingo!  I was milling grain.  The amount of surface contact exposure between the rollers and the grain as well as rate the hopper freely flows is directly correlated with the amount of torque a drill needs.  Pretty obvious really, so anybody that thinks their cordless drill won't or can't should try restricting the flow rate of grain from their hopper and/or decrease the amount of surface contact between the grain and the rollers.  Just thought I'd share for those who have complained about their drills.   :-*   :D

I'm not sure how this batch is going to lauter though.... it looked pretty dusty, I added some rice hulls but I'm still not sure about it.   I may be taking my roller gap back to the manufacturer default (which I marked  ;) )... I guess I'll know today.   :-\

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 09:04:14 am »

I have the adjustable. Although I only use the original factory setting .040". If you plan on making alot of wheat or rye beers the adjustable will help.
Ron Price

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 02:01:31 pm »
JSP non-adj Maltmill in homemade stand w/ inverted 5g plastic carboy hopper( holds about 26# grain), powered by a Milwaukee 2 speed 1/2" Hole Hawg. ;D Low = 300 rpm - perfect! Thing doesn't even know there's a load on it...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 06:49:34 pm »
I have a barley crusher and I use an 18v Firestorm cordless with no problems. I did burn up a 1/2 craftsman on my Corona mill a few years ago when making a BW. I generally run the drill motor unloaded for 20 to 30 seconds to let the motor fan do some cooling when done with a grain run (15-30#).
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 06:52:20 pm »
So, are the drills that work on the BC expensive?  (like $100-200+ expensive)?  The 3/8 inch and 1/2 inch are just "bit sizes" aren't they?  They don't indicate a drill's power, do they?

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 07:37:08 pm »
I have found that any standard duty 3/8 drill will work for my mill, getting started is problematic some times but if you condition the grain, start the mill then pour the grain everything works fine.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties