Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Be A HOMEbrewer! | An Open Letter From Denny Conn  (Read 11456 times)

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Be A HOMEbrewer! | An Open Letter From Denny Conn
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 08:14:10 am »
... unless I have personally tested it out, I really shouldn't word it like a fact.
To go one step further, even if you've tested it yourself, you shouldn't word it as fact. To quote Dr George Sheehan, "We are each an experiment of one", applies to homebrewing also. There are too many variable in the process. Your results may not be the same as mine. My biggest gripe with Marshall’s exBEERiments is when they are quoted as fact. They are significant data points to help us come to our own conclusion, but are often not portrayed that way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:26:32 am by tesgüino »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 08:21:39 am »
I fight authority -- authority! -- always will.

(Yes I know what I did there.  That's what it sounds like when MY ears hear it.   ;D )

Thank you so much, Denny and Marshall -- and so many others, too! -- for helping me in this fight!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:23:19 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 08:45:32 am »
Something I wrote and sent to Denny a few months ago as a 'life lesson in brewing':
Quote from: AB
Think critically and think for yourself. You can learn a lot from forums, the internet, and books but nothing is going to help you learn better than thinking critically about what you've learned and seeing how it applies to your brewery. My brewery is not the same as Denny's brewery and it's not the same as yours. Think about cooking, for instance. If a recipe says that you should bake the cookies at 375F for 20 minutes but your oven runs hotter than the recipe tester's oven, would you take the cookies out of the oven before they burn or wait the full 20 minutes because the recipe said to? That same critical thinking process should be applied to your brewing.

Wholeheartedly agree Marshall & Denny. Thank you for what you guys do - and for taking all of our comments & suggestions in stride.  :)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 09:02:04 am »
Yes, but a giant one whose article has just been referenced to on the Dutch homebrewers forum. Trust me, if you're from Belgium like myself, the message is really very necessary. People stone you for not doing a protein rest.

Maybe they just don't like you?  ???
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 09:06:42 am »
Awesome writeup!

Looking forward to my next batch sparged, non decocted, 60 min boil, German lager!

One take away I got is that guys like me need to be aware of how we word things when sharing info with others. Things like "pils malt wort has to be boiled 90 minutes or you'll have a DMS bomb"... unless I have personally tested it out, I really shouldn't word it like a fact. I've read, or ive heard that, or some people say... would be better. Its like when people are talking about recipes. Often we tell people "You dont want..." how do we know what they want? Or we just assume they are trying to brew to style guidelines, and often time that means cloning the leading commercial example. We might come across less rigidly pedantic if we ask a question or two first rather than just blasting them with quoted authorized practices.

Jim.....you get it.  I love ya, man!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 09:07:55 am »
I like this: "If you’re stressing over homebrewing, you’re doing something wrong."
Great article.
I also like Marshall's point at the end about confirmation bias. Its bad for homebrewing and even worse in our culture where people are now able to consume only news that fits their worldview and google  directs people to websites they "know" they would agree with.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 09:13:52 am »
I like this: "If you’re stressing over homebrewing, you’re doing something wrong."
Great article.

Well, anything worth doing causes a little stress. I take anything I love doing very seriously, so naturally I stress a bit, if not more, over it at some point or another.
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 09:16:34 am »
I fight authority -- authority! -- always will.

(Yes I know what I did there.  That's what it sounds like when MY ears hear it.   ;D )

Thank you so much, Denny and Marshall -- and so many others, too! -- for helping me in this fight!
Resist much, obey little. That is from Ed Abbey IIRC.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 09:24:38 am »
Yes, but a giant one whose article has just been referenced to on the Dutch homebrewers forum. Trust me, if you're from Belgium like myself, the message is really very necessary. People stone you for not doing a protein rest.

Maybe they just don't like you?  ???
I exaggerate. But it's much more difficult to question tradition in Belgium than in the U.S.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 09:56:16 am »
Great letter.  I have a philosophy that I apply to news articles and especially scientific studies:  "Read it as if it was published on April 1st."  This applies doubly to established dogma.  If the dogma is true, then it will suffer challenges to its validity.

Keep on challenging, experimenting, and having fun Marshall and Denny!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 10:58:52 am »
Man, being accused of ruining homebrewing is lousy payback for all of your contributions to the hobby.

Always looking forward to the next xBmt . . . .
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 11:05:43 am »
Man, being accused of ruining homebrewing is lousy payback for all of your contributions to the hobby.

Always looking forward to the next xBmt . . . .

Yeah, one of most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Some people clearly don't (and won't) get it.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 11:27:25 am »
I consider myself extremely lucky to be homebrewing at a time where brewers like Denny and Marshall (as well as their experiments) are so accessible to the community. It certainly encourages me to do my fair share of experimentation, and I'm a better brewer for it, too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 11:39:14 am »
I am a home brewer, and while in my home I brew how I want.  I don't understand why someone would get mad at the way I choose to brew, even if for example I boil for 30 minutes longer than someone else.  So what?  I'm not in a rush on brew day.  It's a time to take it easy.  The way I brew makes good beer.  I don't care that it takes a whopping half an hour longer than someone else.

It's effin beer dude; chill out.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 11:40:16 am »
Did you just call me a dwarf?

You are simply vertically challenged.

Great article guys - thanks to your crew and Mr. Conn.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<