Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Be A HOMEbrewer! | An Open Letter From Denny Conn  (Read 11608 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Be A HOMEbrewer! | An Open Letter From Denny Conn
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2015, 11:55:11 am »
I consider myself extremely lucky to be homebrewing at a time where brewers like Denny and Marshall (as well as their experiments) are so accessible to the community. It certainly encourages me to do my fair share of experimentation, and I'm a better brewer for it, too.

Same here.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2015, 12:21:19 pm »
Awesome letter Denny! I think in the last 2 years here on the forum, I have still sought out the general consensus on most of my questions, ideas, recipes, etc but I am definitely learning to take more chances if only to find out what I really like and what my thoughts are. Thanks to Denny, Drew, and Marshall for making that plan so acceptable!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2015, 12:25:52 pm »
I consider myself extremely lucky to be homebrewing at a time where brewers like Denny and Marshall (as well as their experiments) are so accessible to the community. It certainly encourages me to do my fair share of experimentation, and I'm a better brewer for it, too.

Same here.

I would add a "+1" except I don't want to be accused of confirmation bias....just kidding!  Great stuff, guys.

Hey Marshall - there are those who still profess to makes their lager beer by starting warm and cooling slowly once fermentation starts in earnest...and these guys have won awards.  I am at odds with them using your stepped up approach, but we agree to disagree on what works best for us, respectively.  But I would love for you to do an Exbeermt on that issue some time! 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 12:30:47 pm »
If brewing were limited to the info available when I started, and the "only way" to do it was step mashing and fly sparging, I would have either quit or I'd be making all extract beer.

Step mashing and fly sparging are just fine, if that's what you want to do.  I, however, do not wish to do so.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2015, 12:45:54 pm »

Step mashing and fly sparging are just fine, if that's what you want to do.  I, however, do not wish to do so.

...and decoction, if you really want to.
Ralph R.

Online toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2015, 01:34:15 pm »
Did you just call me a dwarf?

You are simply vertically challenged.

So are a lot of people compared to you.

Offline atodd

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2015, 01:58:21 pm »
Great letter, I have run into this same sort of thing at work with various material suppliers.  Bad information is copied from one source to another and never tested, it is always best to verify it for yourself in your application. 

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2015, 03:29:14 pm »

Awesome, Marshall and Denny. You guys are some of the giant dwarfs on whose shoulders I stagger!
Did you just call me a dwarf?

Okay everybody sing... "Whistle while we slurp..."  ;D

Completely agree with keeping an open mind and trying new things.  My brewing procedures are totally different now than when I started.  I brew better beer faster and with less effort than I ever thought I would. 

Without mavericks like you two (and others) we would all be much worse off.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2015, 03:39:32 pm »

... unless I have personally tested it out, I really shouldn't word it like a fact.
To go one step further, even if you've tested it yourself, you shouldn't word it as fact. To quote Dr George Sheehan, "We are each an experiment of one", applies to homebrewing also. There are too many variable in the process. Your results may not be the same as mine. My biggest gripe with Marshall’s exBEERiments is when they are quoted as fact. They are significant data points to help us come to our own conclusion, but are often not portrayed that way.
By others, sure, but we make it a point to never convey our results as concrete proof, always encouraging others to test s*** for themselves.
Something I wrote and sent to Denny a few months ago as a 'life lesson in brewing':
Quote from: AB
Think critically and think for yourself. You can learn a lot from forums, the internet, and books but nothing is going to help you learn better than thinking critically about what you've learned and seeing how it applies to your brewery. My brewery is not the same as Denny's brewery and it's not the same as yours. Think about cooking, for instance. If a recipe says that you should bake the cookies at 375F for 20 minutes but your oven runs hotter than the recipe tester's oven, would you take the cookies out of the oven before they burn or wait the full 20 minutes because the recipe said to? That same critical thinking process should be applied to your brewing.

Wholeheartedly agree Marshall & Denny. Thank you for what you guys do - and for taking all of our comments & suggestions in stride.  :)
Great stuff, Amanda, thanks!!

Offline savagejair

• 1st Kit
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 05:38:15 pm »
Now I have just surpassed my first year as a home brewer. As I celebrated the joy of the hobby, by brewing a Lager, for the first time. I really am glad to have stumbled onto the brülosophy site just over the last 2 months. The reason being I have used the information to brew. I was proud to have read about the lager times used and applied it to my first lager that I enjoy 20 days later. ;D in fact i split the batch one IPL and one IPA- just to see which I like better. I am only scratching my potential to homebrew. You only provided me and many others useful knowledge and I give you and so many others many thanks!!!

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2015, 06:42:35 am »
Great article guys. Keep it up Marshall, I enjoy reading all your exbeeriments and learn a lot from them. One of the things that keeps me going at this hobby is all the different techniques to try, it would be boring stuck in the same process.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2015, 09:32:21 am »
Are we then prepared to question the most basic homebrewing assumption that nothing in beer can kill you?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2015, 09:44:04 am »
Are we then prepared to question the most basic homebrewing assumption that nothing in beer can kill you?

I am.  I haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly, but I stumbled across some info about pathogens in beer recently.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2015, 09:57:44 am »

I am.  I haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly, but I stumbled across some info about pathogens in beer recently.

There's some good source material on the wiki for milk the funk (wiki.milkthefunk.com) in the spontaneous fermentation content.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Online toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2015, 09:58:05 am »
I would definitely not phrase it that way.  Even at a basic level, the ethanol in beer can kill you at a high enough level.  The old saw was more along the lines of the process in making beer kills most naturally occurring bacteria that might be in the common modern ingredients (i.e. malt, hops, and water).  I'm sure that there are things that people may have put into beer at varying points that at a high enough dosage could also kill you or at least make you sick (thinking of natural herbs or spices that would have served as bittering agents prior to hops).

All that being said, how would you structure the xbeeriment?  ;)