Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scaling recipes with vanilla beans/raisins/cinnamon/etc.  (Read 1088 times)

Offline TMULLEN96

• 1st Kit
Scaling recipes with vanilla beans/raisins/cinnamon/etc.
« on: September 25, 2015, 06:40:30 am »
So I recently scaled up my system from 5 to 10 gallons. And have some good recipes with these types of things. I'm not too sure how to scale these along with the grains and hops as I use beer smith. I have two recipes a stout with 2 vanilla 2 cinnamon 4 oz of raisins. And a porter with like 5 vanilla beans. Has anyone done this type of thing before?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Scaling recipes with vanilla beans/raisins/cinnamon/etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 07:41:48 am »
It's not always exactly a straight doubling. For me it's more like 1.9x for most ingredients pre-fermenter since my kettle loss remains the same. Anything that goes in the fermenter would be a straight double if I am using two fermenters, and a bit less if I am using one fermenter.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Scaling recipes with vanilla beans/raisins/cinnamon/etc.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:49:59 am »
I think Steve's approach is the best approach.

Look at the volumes going into the fermentation vessel on your five versus ten gallon system and scale up based upon those volumes. For example, if your five gallon recipe yields 4.75 gal in the fermentor with 0.25 gal lost to the kettle and your ten gallon batch yields 9.75 gal then you have a 5% loss on the five gallon batch and 2.5% loss on the ten gallon batch. You gain a whole 0.25 gal efficiency on the ten gallon recipe which you should account for as a 5% increase in post-boil volume on the five gallon batch when scaling up. So you would want to take 95% of the spice addition in the five gallon batch and double that to 1.9 times the addition in your five gallon recipe.

Straight doubling can be an easy shorthand that will get you in the ballpark and maybe even have an undetectable difference from the five gallon recipe but with particularly potent spices I would be more cautious. With some spices a gram here or there can be the difference between balanced and overwhelming.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing