Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speed Pils  (Read 2703 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Speed Pils
« on: September 26, 2015, 09:08:41 am »
Trying a 45 minute mash 45 minute boil then Brulosopher lager regimen on a German Northern Pilsto see how this speed approach will work Gotta run - this was a quick brew day before an Okto party today.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Speed Pils
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 09:52:55 am »
Trying a 45 minute mash 45 minute boil then Brulosopher lager regimen on a German Northern Pilsto see how this speed approach will work Gotta run - this was a quick brew day before an Okto party today.
Looking forward to the outcome!

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 10:22:52 am »

I've been using a 45 minute mash for years with good results.
A 45 minute boil could be a problem with pilsner malt.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 10:48:37 am »

I've been using a 45 minute mash for years with good results.
A 45 minute boil could be a problem with pilsner malt.

If you do a vigorous boil and get decent boiloff it shouldn't be a problem.  For me, a 45 min, mash would more likely be an issue.  Not becasue you won't get conversion in 45 min. (you almost certainly will), but becasue for a pils I prefer the dextrin profile I get from a longer mash.  It's not a huge difference, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 11:33:53 am »
In my pea brain... at X temperature SMM is converted to DMS. The rolling boil drives it off because it is quite volitile. Its debateable precisely how much SMM is in the grain and how long it takes until its completely gone, making it impossible to create new DMS. I rather doubt that it magically always takes 90 minutes to convert all SMM regardless of cultivar or maltster. So, a couple ways to limit DMS is to boil uncovered, or with a condensation drip tube. But what about SMM to DMS during the time between flame out and reaching a low enough temp that its not converting anymore? It seems to me that how rapidly you can chill is the most important thing, if you are boiling for a short enough time that SMM still exists in the wort.

Of course, this is all just my pea brain putting together assumptions based on hearsay.

The other things to keep in mind is that the final boil gravity won't be the same as with a 90 min. Post boil pH will probably be slightly different than with a 90 min. Color may be slightly lighter than with 90. Hard to get a 60 min hop charge at 45 min, it might need more hops to get the IBUs, and therefore it might have more hop flavor. Just stuff like that, seems like.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:37:49 am by klickitat jim »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 11:46:33 am »
My pea brain agrees with your pea brain.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 12:02:02 pm »
My pea brain agrees with your pea brain.
That settles it then, lol.

If two brewers brewed identical pils beers and one got DMS but the other didn't,  (assuming rolling boil and no lid which is kinda basic) my first suspect would be sensitivity threshold and/or lack of palate experience. My second suspect would be difference in wort chilling speed. If they weren't identical, but merely similar, I suppose my 3rd suspect might be different maltsters/cultivars.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 02:32:57 pm »
Yea, I upped the bittering charge by a third, boiled the snot out of it for 45, and speed chilled with a Hydra Chiller.  Didn't think about dextrins from a longer lower mash - this will be a pretty light beer, so maybe it will be watery...I will report back when it is done!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 12:58:44 pm »
I think Denny was referring to reducing the dextrin amounts with a longer mash.  When mashing cooler, it can sometimes take the enzymes a bit longer to fully break apart those last few longer chained starches into those easily fermentable sugars that our yeasty friends love. 

A shorter mash would most likely leave some dextrins behind.  You may or may not notice it in the final mouthfeel or body of the beer so please report back with your results.  A pilsner is a great beer for this trial.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 02:23:16 pm »
I think Denny was referring to reducing the dextrin amounts with a longer mash.  When mashing cooler, it can sometimes take the enzymes a bit longer to fully break apart those last few longer chained starches into those easily fermentable sugars that our yeasty friends love. 

A shorter mash would most likely leave some dextrins behind.  You may or may not notice it in the final mouthfeel or body of the beer so please report back with your results.  A pilsner is a great beer for this trial.

Yes, indeed I was!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 11:46:55 am »
My second suspect would be difference in wort chilling speed. If they weren't identical, but merely similar, I suppose my 3rd suspect might be different maltsters/cultivars.

I whirlpool at 180-190 for a half hour before chilling, and I think a lot of pro breweries do the same or longer, how does that coincide with what youre saying?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

rabeb25

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 02:42:06 pm »
My second suspect would be difference in wort chilling speed. If they weren't identical, but merely similar, I suppose my 3rd suspect might be different maltsters/cultivars.

I whirlpool at 180-190 for a half hour before chilling, and I think a lot of pro breweries do the same or longer, how does that coincide with what youre saying?

Why?

Offline blatz

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 02:56:55 pm »
Why?

leave as much hot break and hop debris behind as possible.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

rabeb25

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 03:19:04 pm »
Why?

leave as much hot break and hop debris behind as possible.
But why wouldn't you do that at pitch temp?... You would get rid of even more break.

Offline blatz

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 03:30:15 pm »
Would love to but can't.  Blichmann kettle with electric element and Hopblocker.  I chill using two stage CFC. 

I could try not whirlpooling and run immediately into the kettle.  Been scared to, given some of the warnings
about clogging.  Have had this system for 3 years now and have just resorted to this as my process but am open to suggestions.