Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unable to buy Wyeast  (Read 3727 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Unable to buy Wyeast
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 08:21:02 pm »
... Wyeast 1056, which is also Safeale US-05 or Lallmand BRY-97 (dry yeasts).

https://www.saltcitybrewsupply.com/media/YeastComparison3.pdf

Cheers!

I don’t think US 05 = BRY 97.  Though BRY 97 is a clean flocculant yeast, I believe BRY 96 = US 05.  Beware — BRY 97 has a significant lag period.

None of the above are equivalent.  BRY-97 isn't remotely related to anything else.  US-05 is closely related to BRY-96 ("Chico"), but at about 83% is almost 10% more attenuative than Chico.  No way I would consider any of these to be equivalents.  Similar in clean American ale flavors, sure.  But not much else.

No doubt great work. I was simply keying off a message from ‘Saccharomyces’ Dec 2016.    It says:

“Hi Dwain,

The other dry yeast strains with known pedigrees are:  US-05 = BRY-96 Ballantine Beer (a.k.a. "Chico," Wyeast 1056, White Labs WLP001),  S-04 = Whitbread "B" (a.k.a. Wyeast 1098, Whites WLP007),  W34/70 =  W34/70 (a.k.a. Wyeast 2124, White Labs WLP830), WB06 = W68 (Wyeast 3068, WLP300), and S-189 = Samiclaus (a.k.a. White Labs WLP885)”

However, I believe this message may also predate the genome study from which ripples are still being felt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:22:47 pm by BrewBama »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Unable to buy Wyeast
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 08:23:38 pm »
Unfortunately, even the great S. c. (Mark) is not spared by the recent genomic studies from need for correction/humility/insert-kind-words-here.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 08:28:28 pm »
... Wyeast 1056, which is also Safeale US-05 or Lallmand BRY-97 (dry yeasts).

https://www.saltcitybrewsupply.com/media/YeastComparison3.pdf

Cheers!

I don’t think US 05 = BRY 97.  Though BRY 97 is a clean flocculant yeast, I believe BRY 96 = US 05.  Beware — BRY 97 has a significant lag period.

None of the above are equivalent.  BRY-97 isn't remotely related to anything else.  US-05 is closely related to BRY-96 ("Chico"), but at about 83% is almost 10% more attenuative than Chico.  No way I would consider any of these to be equivalents.  Similar in clean American ale flavors, sure.  But not much else.

No doubt great work. I was simply keying off a message from ‘Saccharomyces’ Dec 2016.    It says:

“Hi Dwain,

The other dry yeast strains with known pedigrees are:  US-05 = BRY-96 Ballantine Beer (a.k.a. "Chico," Wyeast 1056, White Labs WLP001),  S-04 = Whitbread "B" (a.k.a. Wyeast 1098, Whites WLP007),  W34/70 =  W34/70 (a.k.a. Wyeast 2124, White Labs WLP830), WB06 = W68 (Wyeast 3068, WLP300), and S-189 = Samiclaus (a.k.a. White Labs WLP885)”

However, I believe this message may also predate the genome study from which ripples are still being felt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, for instance S-04 clearly is unrelated to Whitbread B.   The provenance of strains was really not known but presumed in the best of cases, it seems.  A lot of misplaced faith was involved on the part of manufacturers, and quite possibly intentional misdirection.  Now we're getting unbiased testimony from the yeast itself.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 08:30:50 pm »
Yeah, for instance S-04 clearly is unrelated to Whitbread B.   The provenance of strains was really not known but presumed in the best of cases, it seems.  A lot of misplaced faith was involved on the part of manufacturers, and quite possibly intentional misdirection.  Now we're getting unbiased testimony from the yeast itself.

What you thought was your daddy...
Was nothing... but a...
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.