Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New starter procedure trial  (Read 82605 times)

evil_morty

Re: New starter procedure trial
« Reply #300 on: October 11, 2015, 01:55:05 pm »
This thread has now grown to 20 pages. Please limit your questions to the method as originally described.  I know that people are just looking for more information.  However, there are many of you and only one of me.  Yeast is a complex subject that does not lend itself to short answers.  This thread has taken on a life of its own.  The replies to most of the tell me how it works in gory details, why should I switch to this method, and a starter that small cannot possibly work types of inquiries took at least thirty minutes to compose and proofread (a few of the replies took over an hour to compose).  The fact the forum software is configured such that one loses one's work if one's session times-out has caused the loss of several hours of work over the length of this thread.

Note to AHA IT: The forum software needs to be configured such that one does not lose one's work if one's session times-out during the composition of a post.  It's annoying to click the preview or post button only to have's one work trashed after re-authenticating.  The standard behavior for most forum software is to go through the authentication process again and then proceed to posting or previewing the post based on what button was clicked before the user was challenged for his/her credentials.

do you have your log in set to time out?  I have yet to have the problem you speak of.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #301 on: October 11, 2015, 02:13:16 pm »
do you have your log in set to time out?  I have yet to have the problem you speak of.

Good catch, Morty!  You're pretty smart for a new guy!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #302 on: October 11, 2015, 03:22:37 pm »

No, the forum default session length is two hours.  One can see this default setting on the "Login" page.  Those who login on the home page never realize that there is a two hour limit for the forum.   The only way around it is to change the session time-out period or disable it from the Login page.  Even if one disables the time-out by checking the "Always stay logged in" checkbox on the Login page, the setting only remains in effect until one clears cookies, which I do every time I close my browser (a practice that everyone who does not wish to be tracked should do because sites do not have to honor the "do not track" setting in one's browser).

Most forums implement a session time-out period for security reasons.  Whether the time-out is from the second one logs into the forum or is based on a period of inactivity,  most forums do not trash a post that was in the process of being composed when the session times out when the user is prompted to re-authenticate upon clicking the Post or Preview buttons.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:21:33 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #303 on: October 11, 2015, 03:26:23 pm »
How about typing the long stuff in Word and pasting to the forum?

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #304 on: October 11, 2015, 03:51:34 pm »
I use Word some of time.  However, I do not use it all of the time.

The AHA Forum is the only forum to which I have ever posted that trashes a post that is posted or previewed after the session times out.  There have been times on other forums where I started composing a post and walked away for several hours before returning to the post.  The forum did not trash my post when went clicked the Post or Preview button.  It merely challenged me for my credentials before allowing the operation to proceed.  I grew so frustrated of the behavior that I stopped posting to the forum for a while.  It can be maddening at times to see an hour of work trashed in a second.  I have grown so paranoid of the forum trashing a post that I usually select and copy the text before clicking the Post or Preview button.  However, there are times that I forgot to do so or forget to login via the login page so I can disable the session time-out.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:23:29 pm by S. cerevisiae »

evil_morty

« Reply #305 on: October 11, 2015, 06:08:37 pm »

No, the forum default session length is two hours.  One can see this default setting on the "Login" page.  Those who login on the home page never realize that there is a two hour limit for the forum.   The only way around it is to change the session time-out period or disable it is from the Login page.  Even if one disables the time-out by checking the "Always stay logged in" checkbox on the Login page, the setting only remains in effect until one clears cookies, which I do every time I close my browser (a practice that everyone who does not wish to be tracked should do because sites do not have to honor the "do not track" setting in one's browser).

this is what they call "page 3 information" where I'm from.

denny probably knows what I mean.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 06:10:31 pm by evil_morty »

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #306 on: October 11, 2015, 06:50:54 pm »

No, the forum default session length is two hours.  One can see this default setting on the "Login" page.  Those who login on the home page never realize that there is a two hour limit for the forum.   The only way around it is to change the session time-out period or disable it is from the Login page.  Even if one disables the time-out by checking the "Always stay logged in" checkbox on the Login page, the setting only remains in effect until one clears cookies, which I do every time I close my browser (a practice that everyone who does not wish to be tracked should do because sites do not have to honor the "do not track" setting in one's browser).

this is what they call "page 3 information" where I'm from.

denny probably knows what I mean.
That sounds kinda familiar.

evil_morty

« Reply #307 on: October 12, 2015, 09:11:10 am »
fermentation still seems to be going fairly normally.  I allowed the ferm temp to creep up to about 51F.  pretty soon I'll let it naturally rise as I see the airlock activity slowing down.

evil_morty

« Reply #308 on: October 13, 2015, 06:07:35 am »
my chest freezer smells like farts right now.  the sulfur is flowing right now.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #309 on: October 13, 2015, 07:23:47 am »
Sulfur production is normal for a lager strain.  At least it does not smell like rotten eggs.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #310 on: October 13, 2015, 07:29:11 am »
By the way, sulfur production is usually the sign of a flocculent strain.

evil_morty

« Reply #311 on: October 13, 2015, 08:11:41 am »

yes, I've def run into this smell in the past with lagers.

I didn't know that it indicated a flocculent strain though.  I suppose this yeast does tend to finish a little high despite white labs claiming it's only a medium floccer.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #312 on: October 13, 2015, 08:17:29 am »

I didn't know that it indicated a flocculent strain though.  I suppose this yeast does tend to finish a little high despite white labs claiming it's only a medium floccer.

flocculent of flatulent strain....    :o
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

evil_morty

« Reply #313 on: October 13, 2015, 08:22:44 am »

I would have been disappointed if someone didn't go there  ;D

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #314 on: October 13, 2015, 08:26:39 am »

I would have been disappointed if someone didn't go there  ;D

what can I say..im an old juvenile.

anyway,IME 833 produces sulfur first 48hrs or so, then drops off significantly. nothing residual in finished product.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: