Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New starter procedure trial  (Read 82416 times)

evil_morty

Re: New starter procedure trial
« Reply #315 on: October 13, 2015, 08:45:07 am »
what can I say..im an old juvenile.

anyway,IME 833 produces sulfur first 48hrs or so, then drops off significantly. nothing residual in finished product.

it's a yeast with a very distinctive flavor profile for sure.  it's one of the reasons I suspect that I really like the couple of ayinger beers I've tried.

rabeb25

« Reply #316 on: October 13, 2015, 08:50:35 am »

anyway,IME 833 produces sulfur first 48hrs or so, then drops off significantly. nothing residual in finished product.

it's a yeast with a very distinctive flavor profile for sure.  it's one of the reasons I suspect that I really like the couple of ayinger beers I've tried.

Most likely due to the decoction mash.  8)

evil_morty

« Reply #317 on: October 13, 2015, 08:54:01 am »

now you've done it!

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #318 on: October 13, 2015, 09:08:27 am »
So as I'm reading all this shaken not stirred commentary, I guess Bond had it right all along. Never will I stir going forward!. I have two homemade stir plates for sale on the cheap! Trade for a good vodka? Great info S.c and others!

evil_morty

« Reply #319 on: October 13, 2015, 09:23:29 am »
So as I'm reading all this shaken not stirred commentary, I guess Bond had it right all along. Never will I stir going forward!. I have two homemade stir plates for sale on the cheap! Trade for a good vodka? Great info S.c and others!

I'm not sure I'd ditch my stir plates just yet!  I say try it yourself and make sure you are happy with the results.  Assuming this batch I'm making comes out reasonably good I'll try it again with an ale yeast (probably 1450).  If that goes well this could become my MO or the very least another tool in the toolbox to use when I don't have time to make multiple steps of starter ahead of time.

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #320 on: October 13, 2015, 09:26:08 am »
I'm definitely a try and see. Thats how I got to where I am now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

narvin

« Reply #321 on: October 13, 2015, 09:27:48 am »
For my latest lager (10 gallons), I made two 3-liter starters.  Since I have only one stir plate, I used pure O2 on the other one for 90 seconds before pitching the yeast.  The amount of final yeast mass after crashing was about the same.  May be worth further investigation... I didn't do a cell count or methylene blue stain for viability.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #322 on: October 13, 2015, 09:42:16 am »

Nanananana....I can't hear you!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #323 on: October 13, 2015, 10:22:47 am »
What is everyone using for their starter bottle? As our batch sizes and gravity's vary, I think a 5L bottle would suffice. 5L media bottles are not cheap.

evil_morty

« Reply #324 on: October 13, 2015, 10:31:37 am »
What is everyone using for their starter bottle? As our batch sizes and gravity's vary, I think a 5L bottle would suffice. 5L media bottles are not cheap.

since I make 10 gal batches I made a 2L starter.  I used a 5 gal better bottle for this.  A 3 gal better bottle might not be a bad option if I had to buy something.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #325 on: October 13, 2015, 10:32:49 am »

1 gal. glass jug, like from apple juice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #326 on: October 13, 2015, 10:42:05 am »

+1 - LHBS sells them for about half the price of a good quality organic cider from the local bougie grocery store packed in the same jug. I prefer the option with the juice.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #327 on: October 13, 2015, 10:58:47 am »
My latest experience with the way I do it. (Oxygenate it like it owes you money)
I brewed a 1.058 APA and a 1.052 Stout  both with Wy1056 on 10/6. Today, 10/13, the APA is at 1.010 and 4.4 ph.  The stout is at 1.012 and 4.2 ph. They both still have a 1/4" of krausen, so now I'm just waiting for that to drop.

These are my second trial of this yeast method. The first trial was not as quick to drop gravity, but I built those starters the night before so I think I was at the tail end of high krausen. These latest were built morning of brew day and pitched at high krausen 8 hrs later. I think that is the difference im seeing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 11:02:14 am by klickitat jim »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #328 on: October 13, 2015, 11:55:49 am »

A 5L media bottle is a want, not a need.  I used a one U.S. gallon glass jug for a very long time.    A 2L starter can be made using two one U.S. gallon glass jugs.  The culture is split between the jugs.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #329 on: October 13, 2015, 12:20:37 pm »
here's one for you Mark- I have what will be 4wk old wlp833 slurry, and want to make a non stir plate starter for 1.048OG lager.

what would you do? slurry is thick, with very little hop/break sediment.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: