Author Topic: New starter procedure trial  (Read 50520 times)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
Re: New starter procedure trial
« Reply #420 on: February 11, 2016, 01:39:11 AM »
Wish I would have caught this thread a week sooner, I'm 90% done with my homemade stir plate. I guess I will have to try both and pitch the loser...pun intended. Great read btw.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #421 on: February 11, 2016, 04:06:10 AM »
FWIW, I used the shaken not stirred method for my NB dry Irish stout that's fermenting for St. Patrick's day.

I've brewed this kit several times. This time, I followed the method and pitched just as the yeast was hitting high krausen. I've never seen such a rapid fermentation from 1084 before, even had to use a blowoff tube. None of my prior batches even approached needing that.

Could be something wild got into the beer, still haven't tasted it. Also, beer was being fermented at 62oF.
Unless you have a repeated history of infecting beers, its HK pitching making the diff. Remember, bugs multiply much slower and they are dormant. Unless you pitched a pile of active bugs...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #422 on: February 11, 2016, 04:09:59 AM »
Wish I would have caught this thread a week sooner, I'm 90% done with my homemade stir plate. I guess I will have to try both and pitch the loser...pun intended. Great read btw.
Dont feel bad. Building was fun, right? Plus you can use the stirplate later to mix agar with wort when you get into slanting cultures.

In my opinion and experience, pitching at high krausen eliminates the need for pitching calculators and counting cells and stirplates. At least at the homebrew level (<1BBL)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #423 on: February 11, 2016, 12:24:52 PM »
Unless you have a repeated history of infecting beers, its HK pitching making the diff. Remember, bugs multiply much slower and they are dormant. Unless you pitched a pile of active bugs...

Had a couple infected beers last year, but I'm confident that it was the blow off tube I was using. (Which has since been replaced.)

What's really incredible is I got such a reaction even though the beer was temp controlled. If this is going to become a common thing I'm going to have to get some larger fermenters.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #424 on: February 11, 2016, 10:55:04 PM »
I may have missed something in my reading. After shaking and letting it stand for 30 minutes for the foam to drop, I would then unscrew the cap and pour in my package of yeast.
Does the lid remain loose or does it get screwed on tight?  Does one put an airlock on it or a foam stopper?  Like I said must of missed something.

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #425 on: February 11, 2016, 11:09:05 PM »

Had a couple infected beers last year, but I'm confident that it was the blow off tube I was using. (Which has since been replaced.)

What's really incredible is I got such a reaction even though the beer was temp controlled. If this is going to become a common thing I'm going to have to get some larger fermenters.

Did you make starters before?  I chill and decant but get very aggressive fermentation with a proper pitch rate, even when pitching 5 degrees below fermentation temperature.  An active starter has less lag time but I haven't seen a difference in total fermentation time.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #426 on: February 12, 2016, 11:51:37 AM »
Yes, in fact I used to use a stir plate. I did the typical let them ferment out/cold crash/decant setup for the most part.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #427 on: May 02, 2018, 01:46:12 AM »
S. cerevisiae - what are your thoughts on the shaken starter method now?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:50:03 AM by ultravista »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #428 on: May 02, 2018, 02:34:45 PM »
S. cerevisiae - what are your thoughts on the shaken starter method now?

He's not around any more.  My thoughts, FWIW, are that it's the only starter method I use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #429 on: January 29, 2019, 07:56:48 PM »
im about brew a german pilsner and this method has me curious, the only other vessel i have that is big enough is a 6 gallon fermonster , so normally for average strength lagers i would make a 2 stage starter 2liters x 2 and i pitch cold 45F, so to achieve enough healthy yeast cells using the shaken method how much wort should i start with? would you still need to chill and decant? pitching at high krausen for ales is great and a practice i employ but as i mentioned i pitch lagers cold so maybe this method is probably not suitable for lagers correct?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #430 on: January 29, 2019, 08:04:53 PM »
im about brew a german pilsner and this method has me curious, the only other vessel i have that is big enough is a 6 gallon fermonster , so normally for average strength lagers i would make a 2 stage starter 2liters x 2 and i pitch cold 45F, so to achieve enough healthy yeast cells using the shaken method how much wort should i start with? would you still need to chill and decant? pitching at high krausen for ales is great and a practice i employ but as i mentioned i pitch lagers cold so maybe this method is probably not suitable for lagers correct?

First, yer kinda missing the point...cell count is irrelevant.  Yeast vitality is what counts.  I start my lagers in the low 50s and still use the 1 qt. starter. for a 5.5 gal. batch.  Making it in a 6 gal. container is gonna make it difficult to shake it enoough to get the required foam, isn't it?  Go buy a gal. of apple juice and use that container!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2019, 08:11:47 PM »
holy cow i did miss the point, 1 qt start is enough for a lager? this is getting better and better, im so indoctrinated with the old way, x amount of starter wort and x amount of cells blah blah blah, so seriously, 1 qt starter shaken til its foam let it get to high krausen and its ready to go?
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #432 on: January 29, 2019, 08:45:11 PM »
holy cow i did miss the point, 1 qt start is enough for a lager? this is getting better and better, im so indoctrinated with the old way, x amount of starter wort and x amount of cells blah blah blah, so seriously, 1 qt starter shaken til its foam let it get to high krausen and its ready to go?

When we were in Australia for ANHC, I told Chris White about this method, expecting him to freak out.  He said "Great!  Homebrewers are way too hung up on numbers!"  All I can tell ya is that it's worked for me on both ales and lagers.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #433 on: January 29, 2019, 08:53:44 PM »
Thats really cool man, im gonna give it a go and see what happens thanks alot , one more thing if you can clarify for me, i will have the starter at room temperature so you think i should pitch at high krausen even though the wort will be in the 40's or 50's or chill the starter temp down first a few hours before pitching?Do you continuously shake as much as possible to keep it foam or just in the beginning? thanks again
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:56:29 PM by MattyAHA »
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #434 on: January 29, 2019, 10:13:42 PM »
Thats really cool man, im gonna give it a go and see what happens thanks alot , one more thing if you can clarify for me, i will have the starter at room temperature so you think i should pitch at high krausen even though the wort will be in the 40's or 50's or chill the starter temp down first a few hours before pitching?Do you continuously shake as much as possible to keep it foam or just in the beginning? thanks again

Room temp absolutely.  No need ot chill.  "Temp shock" is a myth.  I shake it every time I walk by.  Always remember "Reality often astonished theory."

www.dennybrew.com