Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New starter procedure trial  (Read 81851 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: New starter procedure trial
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2015, 12:08:49 pm »
In particular, the biggest issue for me with this method is that I like having my starter finished before I brew; pitching at high krausen adds another complication to the brew day. 

This method will generally allow a brewer to make his/her starter the night before brewing, eliminating the need for a long lead time (i.e., it is almost as convenient as using dry yeast).  That being said, the method will still work if a brewer finds himself/herself unable to brew until after the starter ferments out.  A fermented out shaken, not stirred starter works as well as any other starter of the same volume that is allowed to ferment out.  However, the key to maximizing this method or any other starter method is to pitch at high krausen.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2015, 12:17:20 pm »
UPDATE:  Today is a week after brewing.  I took a gravity reading and it's down to 1.013, which is where it would be with my old starter method.  So, attenuation has not been an issue...not that I really expected it to be.  I have a sample chilling and carbing in a PET bottle.  I'll taste it later today.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2015, 04:03:02 pm »
Denny, what pressure do you hit the carb cap with? Shake? How long do you chill it?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2015, 04:09:17 pm »
I do 30 psi, shake like mad, hit it again, shake, and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.

EDIT:  Of course, I recognize I'm not Denny...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2015, 04:29:13 pm »
I do 30 psi, shake like mad, hit it again, shake, and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.

It's all good. I can get a consensus this way.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2015, 06:36:26 pm »
I do 30psi chilled....pretty quick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2015, 08:29:33 pm »
Good to hear on the technique - I had a high psi and had some backwash into the CO2 line when rocking at 30 psi.  It makes sense to hit it then shake it with the CO2 disconnected....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2015, 10:40:33 pm »
For my starters <1.040 I hit them with air stone & pump till foamed to the top then onto the shaker table.
For my starters >1.075 I hit them with O2 till foamed to the top then onto the shaker table.
Been very pleased with my yeast performance this past year using this new technique, especially with big beers >1.080 OG and Belgian yeasts.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

evil_morty

« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2015, 06:32:24 am »
Denny must have tried this by now - interested to hear what he thinks...

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2015, 10:24:55 am »
I completely agree.  And I really doubt this method is the be all, end all, ONLY good method.  It's likely just another very good method...but I won't know without trying it and seeing for myself.

I think it's been demonstrated pretty conclusively that one can brew excellent beer that scores well and wins ribbons in major competitions with yeast that was propagated on a stir plate.

That doesn't mean that there isn't a better way, nor does it preclude the possibility that stir plates are useless or even detrimental for our purposes. 

I'm looking forward to reading about everyone's experiments.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2015, 11:22:44 am »
I think it's been demonstrated pretty conclusively that one can brew excellent beer that scores well and wins ribbons in major competitions with yeast that was propagated on a stir plate.

People have won gold medals with beers pitched directly from the old-style Wyeast smack packs.

That doesn't mean that there isn't a better way, nor does it preclude the possibility that stir plates are useless or even detrimental for our purposes.

I have never claimed that my method is the "be all, end all" way to make a starter, and I hope that people do not attempt to treat it that way.  I have always sold my method as a low-cost, low-tech, low-stress method of making a healthy yeast starter that performs as well, if not better than other methods.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2015, 03:51:06 pm »
Denny, what pressure do you hit the carb cap with? Shake? How long do you chill it?

I out 12 oz. in a 20 oz. PET bottle.  Squeeze out the air and hit it with 30 psi, shaking the crap out of it.  In the freezer for 45 min.  Then drink!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2015, 03:51:46 pm »

Great minds, dude!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2015, 03:52:37 pm »
Good to hear on the technique - I had a high psi and had some backwash into the CO2 line when rocking at 30 psi.  It makes sense to hit it then shake it with the CO2 disconnected....

I shake with the CO2 connected.  I keep the bottle uprioght so no flow back.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2015, 03:56:20 pm »
Denny must have tried this by now - interested to hear what he thinks...

DEEEE-LISHUS!  At just one week after brewing, the beer was fantastic!  It reinforced my belief in Dr. Cone's theory because it was cleaner and less estery than when I've used a larger starter made on a stir plate.  And that includes the fact that I pitched the starter wort.  I think that the "conventional wisdom" about pitching rates and esters must be strain dependent.  More details when I have more time.

www.dennybrew.com