Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bahamas Vacation  (Read 2853 times)

Offline hambone

• 1st Kit
Bahamas Vacation
« on: May 26, 2010, 11:58:09 am »
I'm going to the Bahamas at the end of June and wondering if there is any good beer that I should look for while there. My instincts tell me that I'll be sticking to liquor or mixed drinks, but ya never know. Help me out if ya can.

Offline dontblake

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
    • Indian Peaks Alers
Re: Bahamas Vacation
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:03:47 pm »
Short answer, no

Kalik is what I remember to be ubiquitous down there.   They do have a 'strong' version which packs 7 or 8 % into a light lager (malt liquor?)
I believe that there's another 'national' brand down there, but expect a light lager.

All that being said, in the tropical clime, the light lager is quite refreshing.   
But you're gonna like the rum drinks (try this:  equal parts dark rum, coconut rum, pineapple juice).

Don Blake, Erie CO
Founder, Indian Peaks Alers
Grand Master BJCP Judge

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:26:46 pm »
Sands is the other Bahamian beer.

Be sure to ask around--usually it's just Kalik and Sands and a few imports.  Plus all the mixed drinks.

Offline althelion

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:43:47 pm »
I was just in the Bahamas at the beginning of April. As a purveyor of fine beer, all I can say is that it's slim pickin' down there, Man. Kalik is as light as Coors Light with hardly any discernible taste. Sands isn't much better. Your best bet to "enjoy" (and I use that term loosely) a beer in the Bahamas is to ask for a Kalik Gold. The Gold is their version of a strong, malt liquor-like beer. Kalik Gold doesn't taste much better than Kalik regular but you will put a nice little buzz on.

On a better note, I heartly recommend a ramshackle-looking bar stand across the street from The Wyndham called the Daq Shack. Dacquiris made with fresh fruit and completely overmixed with rum. Mmmm, mmmm, good. Look for this place. You'll have fun.
Alan Pearlstein

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:31:17 pm »
Since the last time we were there, Sands has, in addition to their unremarkable (but still better than Kalik) Sands and Sands Light, added their Strong Back Stout and High Rock Lager.  Haven't had either but they might be worth checking out.

It'll also probably make a difference on whether you're going to Freeport or Nassau.  Sands is brewed on Grand Bahama (Freeport) and might be more available there.
Joe

Offline gferlin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 04:12:48 pm »
The Bahamas has the Foreign Style Stout made by Guinness.  It's not available in the states and is quite a bit stronger than our version.  You should pick up some of that.  It is usually available by the bottle in any store that sells liqour.  The Bahamians tend to buy and drink by the bottle.

Gregg Ferlin
New Lenox, IL

Offline hambone

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 10:50:46 am »
Thanks for all of the good tips everyone. I'm sure that I'll have fun regardless. I will definitely look for the Daq Shack because I'm staying at the Wyndham in Nassau.