Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: St Patrick's day Boiled Dinner  (Read 2306 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
St Patrick's day Boiled Dinner
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:54:40 am »
In honor of my Irish-American ancestry:

I had some lean beef country-style chuck ribs (think no bone...), about half a pound left over from the preparation of some other meal. So they were "corned" for 3-4 days and then sous-vide with some butter for 48 hours @140*F. This resulted in an extremely interesting and desirable texture to the chuck.

The meat and juice went into a quart of beef stock and simmered for a few minutes then were removed.

Added a quartered cabbage, quartered onion, 5 carrots in 1" pieces and two peeled russets also cut into 2" chunks.

Shred a little of the corned beef and sprinkle on top. Cover and braise for a couple hours.

Near the end, I'll add the rest of the beef and a couple of fresh sausages to finish it off.

Serve with coarse house mustard. And beer.

I can't wait for the meal! Dinner... lunch... this will be the main meal for today.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: St Patrick's day Boiled Dinner
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 01:42:43 pm »
I can't eat beef  due to an allergy so I'm going to pick up some nice salmon after work and do something cool and Irish themed with it and serve with the dry stout I have on tap.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:46:17 pm »
I cooked a corned beef brisket Sunday since I don't have time today. With cabbage and red potatoes of course. It was very tasty. I'll have the Guinness today to celebrate my Irish heritage.   ;)
Jon H.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:55:48 pm »
Sounds Delicious!

We will be making cabbage and cheddar pie, along with some colcannon. I will drinking New Glarus Coffee Stout, and Great Lakes Raspberry Porter.
Kyle M.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 02:39:46 pm »
Sounds Delicious!

We will be making cabbage and cheddar pie, along with some colcannon. I will drinking New Glarus Coffee Stout, and Great Lakes Raspberry Porter.
I like the cabbage and cheddar pie idea, I've never had it before. I don't feel like making a crust and will save the carbs for the stout. I think I'll use the basic filling ingredients and make cabbage and cheddar cakes, which will go better with the salmon. I'm thinking I'll cook the salmon with a similar spice mix as corned beef then make either a mustard or stout glaze.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 03:55:29 pm »
It was done in just over an hour. Finished with parsley. What a great lunch.

Great thing about a cabbage meal is that one can still function afterwards. :D

Colcannon sounds great too.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 04:14:35 pm »
Sounds Delicious!

I like the cabbage and cheddar pie idea, I've never had it before. I don't feel like making a crust and will save the carbs for the stout. I think I'll use the basic filling ingredients and make cabbage and cheddar cakes, which will go better with the salmon. I'm thinking I'll cook the salmon with a similar spice mix as corned beef then make either a mustard or stout glaze.

I never thought of the cake idea. I may do that one next. I think that will go nicely with salmon. I have been big on cooking my fish lately with a mayo/mustard mix.

Cheers!
Kyle M.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 05:39:43 pm »
Sounds Delicious!

I never thought of the cake idea. I may do that one next. I think that will go nicely with salmon. I have been big on cooking my fish lately with a mayo/mustard mix.

Cheers!
They appear to be edible.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 06:23:27 pm »
Whoa! That looks great! Did you bake or fry those?
Kyle M.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 08:42:31 pm »
Whoa! That looks great! Did you bake or fry those?
Fried in olive oil and butter.