Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: alt grain bill  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
alt grain bill
« on: September 21, 2015, 07:39:55 am »
Is this a reasonably appropriate grain bill for an Altbier?

67% Pilsner
27% Munich
5% Carmunich III
1% Carafa III

~12 SRM

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:57:07 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline brewday

• Brewer
Re: alt grain bill
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:45:53 am »
I like it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 09:28:42 am »
Yep yep yep yep yep yep uh-huh uh-huh uh-huh.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:48:05 am »

67% Pilsner
27% Munich
5% Carmunich III
1% Carafa III

~12 SRM

For an Americanized version, yep.  For a true German version, maybe yes, maybe no.  Search the forum for the Zum Uerige recipe I posted.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 12:08:45 pm »

67% Pilsner
27% Munich
5% Carmunich III
1% Carafa III

~12 SRM

For an Americanized version, yep.  For a true German version, maybe yes, maybe no.  Search the forum for the Zum Uerige recipe I posted.

Thanks Denny. I have seen that around. From what I remember that one or another was mostly pils with a very small amount of crystal and enough black/carafa to get the color right.

I am in fact doing an Americanized version so I am not too worried about it as long as I think this will get me where I want to be. It will actually be an Alt influenced Amber as I am using WY2565.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:14:11 pm by goschman »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 12:17:02 pm »

67% Pilsner
27% Munich
5% Carmunich III
1% Carafa III

~12 SRM

Thanks Denny. I have seen that around. From what I remember that one or another was mostly pils with a very small amount of crystal and enough black/carafa to get the color right.

I am in fact doing an Americanized version so I am not too worried about it as long as I think this will get me where I want to be. It will actually be an Alt influenced Amber as I am using WY2565.

2565 is about as wrong for an alt as you can get.  1007 is much better and even 1056 will be better than 2565.  For an Americanized version that's won me more awards than only other recipe I have, see http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/MilosAlt
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 01:01:31 pm »

67% Pilsner
27% Munich
5% Carmunich III
1% Carafa III

~12 SRM

2565 is about as wrong for an alt as you can get.  1007 is much better and even 1056 will be better than 2565.  For an Americanized version that's won me more awards than only other recipe I have, see http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/MilosAlt

The yeast is why I am calling it an amber not an alt. If the goal was to brew an alt, I would change the yeast. I have been down the 'using kolsch yeast for an alt' road many times before...

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 01:20:37 pm »
You can use the Kolsch yeast in an alt, and you might even love it - I know I do.  Gordon Strong's altbier recipe in his new book lists that strain.  So does the 2011 NHC gold medal winner.  Lots of ways...

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 02:35:40 pm »
You can use the Kolsch yeast in an alt, and you might even love it - I know I do.  Gordon Strong's altbier recipe in his new book lists that strain.  So does the 2011 NHC gold medal winner.  Lots of ways...

Thanks! I did not know that. I have used WLP029 with an 'alt' grain bill and loved the results. Whether or not it is truly an alt or not does not concern me.