Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Guava/PassionFruit Paste/Pulp  (Read 3374 times)

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
Guava/PassionFruit Paste/Pulp
« on: September 28, 2015, 01:27:24 pm »
Wanted to brew a Saison with either Guava Paste or PassionFruit. I noticed that Goya has some paste but it has pectin in it which can cause haze.  Does anyone have experience brewing with these fruit pastes? Results? Do you have alternative sources for use in a beer? 

Offline smokeymcb

• Cellarman
  • The Cooker of the Foods
Re: Guava/PassionFruit Paste/Pulp
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:32:49 pm »
Healthy dose of pectic enzyme maybe?

Sorry tho, I have no experience with those fruit pastes...
Anyone got a lighter??

Rob C.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 04:07:00 pm »
No experience with using them either, but in a saison I don't believe the haze would be much of an issue.  I would be more concerned if those pastes had any preservatives added to them instead. 

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 11:28:00 am »
haven't brewed with them but thought of putting some in a mead with pectic enzyme.  Might be time for a small trial.  Up to now use it for smoothies and such.  Every brand I've bought said no preservatives, FWIW. 

And I'd echo that I wouldn't worry about haze in a saison anyway.

good luck; let us know!
--Michael

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 03:56:55 pm »
I wasn't too worried about the pectin, but good to know about the pectic enzyme. In your experience avoid all preservatives in fruit?  This is helpful to know, I wondered if they would have impact on fermentation.  Was also debating what yeast to use. at first was looking at French Saison from Wyeast but also looking at some of the Yeast Bay blends. My apt regularly is a bit over 70, just wondered if I needed a belt to finish out for the Yeast Bay strains since they all seem to bottom out at 68

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 06:39:41 pm »
I have no experience with either, but the Guava paste has a bunch of additives that I'd (personally) rather not use - such as added sugar, citric acid and food coloring. It doesn't look like it has added preservatives, so at least it shouldn't impact fermentation.

Now the Passionfruit Pulp lists "Passionfruit Pulp" as its sole ingredient. I had no idea that this existed up until now, and I want some like yesterday. If it's even remotely good, I will be using it in a mead ASAP, and probably in beer. I might even put it in cider. I love the flavor of passion fruit, but I've never found a convenient source that I would want to use in the brewery until now.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 12:37:07 pm »
I have no experience with either, but the Guava paste has a bunch of additives that I'd (personally) rather not use - such as added sugar, citric acid and food coloring. It doesn't look like it has added preservatives, so at least it shouldn't impact fermentation.

Now the Passionfruit Pulp lists "Passionfruit Pulp" as its sole ingredient. I had no idea that this existed up until now, and I want some like yesterday. If it's even remotely good, I will be using it in a mead ASAP, and probably in beer. I might even put it in cider. I love the flavor of passion fruit, but I've never found a convenient source that I would want to use in the brewery until now.

Im trying to find Pulp, I think some gourmet food vendors do offer it frozen, and I would like to attempt either guava or passion fruit for this saison.  Some friends in my old Homebrew club were planning on putting Goya Guava puree in a keg filter, I guess to randalize and serve.  I was thinking more of putting the guava or passionfruit in fermentation.  Not sure if I should add as fermentation ends or do in secondary.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 06:09:04 pm »
I found the nutrition info for the frozen pulp on the Wegman's website, so I'm guessing that they carry it there. Maybe Whole Foods has it, too?

Personally, I'd rack onto the pulp in secondary. That might help keep the mess down.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 10:35:43 am »
I found the nutrition info for the frozen pulp on the Wegman's website, so I'm guessing that they carry it there. Maybe Whole Foods has it, too?

Personally, I'd rack onto the pulp in secondary. That might help keep the mess down.

Found some frozen guava pulp at a gourmet food store, 2 lbs.  I'm figuring to use this is secondary.  Have a saison recipe with Lemon Drop Hops about 30 Ibus.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 07:05:05 pm »
I wasn't too worried about the pectin, but good to know about the pectic enzyme. In your experience avoid all preservatives in fruit?  This is helpful to know, I wondered if they would have impact on fermentation.  Was also debating what yeast to use. at first was looking at French Saison from Wyeast but also looking at some of the Yeast Bay blends. My apt regularly is a bit over 70, just wondered if I needed a belt to finish out for the Yeast Bay strains since they all seem to bottom out at 68

You should be fine with the French saison, Wy3711, at just above 70. It is a monster fermenter.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 06:22:48 am »
This frozen pulp has got me thinking about some interesting new styles of beer...I have got to find some of this.

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 10:35:17 pm »
started fermentation at 67 degrees  slowly moved to 69 and will let it free rise now.

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 02:28:55 pm »
Transferring the beer tomorrow onto the guava puree which is about 2 lbs into a secondary fermenter, going to hit it with a bit more co2 I think for oxidation prevention and then put in for maybe a week more.

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 04:08:20 pm »
I just put the Saison onto the Guava Puree in Secondary and I'll see how it goes. IT's already starting to bubble once again, getting some activity at the top of the fermenter.  I'm thinking I'll wait until I see activity die down, taste, then cold crash when I like the taste and rack to a keg.  The Base Saison was great, mostly belgian pils with a bit of rye malt, flaked rye and flaked oats and lemon drop hops, overall I am liking that malt bill moving forward. Came out pretty dry.