Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Elderberries  (Read 5881 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Elderberries
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 06:55:36 pm »
 " And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

I have never tried elder berries in beer but I have elder berry wine. It is real close to raspberry.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 01:44:10 pm »
My Grandmother made elderberry wine.  the grove on our farm was full of them.  I never had any but my oldest brother's college friends drank all the bottles that we left in our basement.  Of course they would drink anything with alcohol in it.

It drives my wife nuts that the 4 kids sit at the dining room table popping off lines for the Holy Grail.  My son thought I should have seen his acapella choir director's face when he announced the next song was to be "Dona Nobis Pacem" and half the choir sang "Dona Nobis Requiem" and hit their heads with their music folders.

We love that movie. 
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 04:57:37 pm »
In Eastern Europe they use the flowers either to make tea, or fresh flowers to make syrup for sodas. They dont really usethe berries much.

Maybe the flowers would make a nice addition?
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline brew-witch

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 04:01:48 pm »
In Eastern Europe they use the flowers either to make tea, or fresh flowers to make syrup for sodas. They dont really usethe berries much.

Even here in the states we use elder flowers for tea (for cold season: elderflowers, yarrow, & peppermint does the trick every time!)  Not sure how the flower flavor would hold up in a brew... there's not a lot of flavor and they are rather delicate.  Might be interesting though, homebrew cold remedy?
If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 09:25:05 am »

Even here in the states we use elder flowers for tea (for cold season: elderflowers, yarrow, & peppermint does the trick every time!)  Not sure how the flower flavor would hold up in a brew... there's not a lot of flavor and they are rather delicate.  Might be interesting though, homebrew cold remedy?

In the UK the flowers and berries are used to make wines at different times of the year. The latter need some aging (at least a year) as they are very tannic, but can be cut with blackberries to drink the wine younger,

In Russia both flowers and berries are used to make wine, and both are infused with vodka to create flavoured spirits. With berries, add berries and a couple of tablespoons of sugar to vodka, shake and leave for three months, the  strain into bottles.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 10:16:43 am »
I just had a bottle of Saison Cazeau yesterday and to be honest all I noticed was a flowery taste for lack of a better word. The wife said it had a dry tartness in the aftertaste but I really liked how clean it went down on a sweltering afternoon.

Made with Elderflowers

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10260/45413

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:18:45 am by uthristy »