Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Defining Hop Additions  (Read 2436 times)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Defining Hop Additions
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:01:38 am »
I've been brewing for close to a decade now, yet there are a lot of brewing terms I am not familiar with and I seem to lack some of the terminology regarding some brewing processes, specifically the naming of hop additions.  For example, I stumbled across this Hopburts recipe with hop additions at different times. http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?s=9104ddf846b833363791ac63aa08ae6e&showtopic=2209&st=135&p=646321&#entry646321

Hopburst = ?
Brew water hops = ?
Mash hops = ?
First wort hops = ?
Boiling hops = ?
Hopback hops = ?

I know what the last two are, and can take a guess at what the first three are but I am not 100% certain.  Can you guys help me out?

EDIT:  Randall Hops = ?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:29:10 am by pyrite »
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Defining Hop Additions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:15:13 am »
As I understand them...

Hopbursting generally refers to more or less continuously adding hops during your boil.

Brew water hops I don't have a clue.

Mash hops are just that, hops that you add to the mash.

First wort hops are the hops that you drop into your kettle and then drain/sparge the wort right on top of them.

Boil hops would seem pretty self explanatory

Hopback hops refers to when you're transferring out of the kettle after the boil, the wort gets run through hops contained in a "hopback".
Joe

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:21:55 am »
Don't forget dry hops, randall hops, and the hop salad you eat while drinking this beer :)

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:23:48 am »
Hop bursting is when you add all of your hops in the last 20 minutes or so, even for bitterness.  It takes a much higher amount of hop matter to get bitterness, since you are boiling them for a much shorter time which decreases the utilization factor.  However, the hop flavor and aroma are huge when you do it this way.  Jamil wrote up a piece on it several years ago that is on the MrMalty.com website.  I'd throw up a link, but that site is blocked at work!

I would assume that brew-water hops are hops in the HLT, but I can't imagine what that would really do......Maybe someone else can describe the benefits of this?   ???
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:25:32 am by mikeypedersen »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:03:37 am »
I would assume that brew-water hops are hops in the HLT, but I can't imagine what that would really do......Maybe someone else can describe the benefits of this?   ???

About all that they're good for IME is to say, "Hey, I even put hops in the water!".  I tried it twice and couldn't tell any difference between the same beer made the conventional way.  Same with mash hopping...no effect that I could detect.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:11:33 am »
Randall Hops:
http://www.dogfish.com/company/tangents/randall-the-enamel-animal.htm

First Wort Hops:
http://kotmf.com/articles/fwh.php

Hopburst - Jamil Z's article from Zymurgy, onlline at the AHA site.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1249/MJzym06_LateHops.pdf

There are also hops that are added at knockout and allowed to steep for 20-45 minutes.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 10:13:49 am »
Nice summary jeff
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)