Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Share Your 2015 Brew Season Stock Up  (Read 4477 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Share Your 2015 Brew Season Stock Up
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 10:33:53 am »
I'm in good shape on 2 row, pils and light Munich. Need to stock back up on specialty malts soon, though. Now hops, there's always the fine line between 'enough' and just too damn many. My wife tends to think the latter.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 10:37:08 am »
I didn't get to brew as much as I'd like last year, so I still have half a sack of Pils malt I need to kick. I do plan on some experimentation this fall/winter so my most relevant pickups are:

3lb each:
Golden Promise
Pearl
Optic
Halcyon

10lb of Schill Kolsch malt (planning on trying in a Helles or two)

My only relevany hop purchace so far was a few ounces of HBC 438 (aka Ron Mexico). I wasn't at NHC, but I hear good things and want to taste-test
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 11:27:07 am »
I didn't get a chance to brew all summer so I have my local maltster (Valley Malt) CSA that I got in June to use this fall: 50# 2 row, 5# each munich and Vienna, and 1# each of danko rye and wheat. And lots of specialties.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 03:49:20 pm »
I didn't get to brew as much as I'd like last year, so I still have half a sack of Pils malt I need to kick. I do plan on some experimentation this fall/winter so my most relevant pickups are:

3lb each:
Golden Promise
Pearl
Optic
Halcyon

My only relevany hop purchace so far was a few ounces of HBC 438 (aka Ron Mexico). I wasn't at NHC, but I hear good things and want to taste-test
Add 4oz each of Australian Vic Secret and Enigma to that hops list  ;)
Eric B.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 04:24:45 pm »

3lb each:
Golden Promise
Pearl
Optic
Halcyon

I think I have enough to do a 10 gallon batch of HBC-438 ale. Maybe more.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 04:32:47 pm »
It's weird because I brew year-round but for some reason the fall is when I get really amped up to brew.  Why is that?  I generally don't stock up though... I just get what I need when I need it.  I do have a 55-lb sack of Avangard German pilsner and I just picked up a 50-lb sack of MaltEurop 2-row base malt.  I have multiple 5-lb bags of Vienna, light munich, dark munich, wheat and a boatload of specialties.  In this current round of brewing I'm making (or have already made) my MLPA, a helles with 2308, an Amarillo-Citra Pale Ale, a Marzenbier, my Signature ale with 1028, a Munich Dunkel, my clone of New Glarus' Two Women (2308), an Amber Ale, a blonde ale and a few others.... * rubs hands together * ... cheers peeps.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 05:24:21 pm »
Ya definitely yeast on a just-in-time basis for me. The owner/operator of my LHBS has a buddy at Wyeast. So I email my yeast order and when I pick it up its never more than a week old (not counting random stuff I see and buy, or bugs)

Marshalls hops article was timely, or I woukd have bought more. Ive got a half pound each in my freezer of Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Mosaic, Magnum, and EKG. So I'm set

My on-hand hops line up looks scarily like yours, Jim, if you just substitute the Simcoe for Citra.

My yeast line up is mostly dry as I have 04, 05, Danstar Abbaye, and Danstar Belle saison. I do have a few mason jars of WLP029 for my house beer, which is kolsch for my BMC friends.

I also have 25 kg bag of Crisp pale malt and Weyermann pils malt as well as a variety of continental malts in 10 lb. bags. Add to that an array of crystal and specialty malts, and I'm ready to brew just about anything.

This time of year I begin to think about stouts and porters.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 05:42:36 pm »
Ya I have a bunch of this and that. Stuff I only use by the pound or less. I actually cut back on my bulk supply run this year. Last year I started with a sack each of GP, German Pils, GW Pale, and GW pils. I dropped the GW stuff but upped my stock of Best Munich and Wyerman red x.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 06:19:07 pm »
Ya I have a bunch of this and that. Stuff I only use by the pound or less. I actually cut back on my bulk supply run this year. Last year I started with a sack each of GP, German Pils, GW Pale, and GW pils. I dropped the GW stuff but upped my stock of Best Munich and Wyerman red x.
Yeah, I need to replenish my Red X supply, myself. The malt flavor is really nice, which makes it a nice addition to the toolbox and not just a gimmick for the color.
Eric B.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 06:46:00 pm »
Yeah, I need to replenish my Red X supply, myself. The malt flavor is really nice, which makes it a nice addition to the toolbox and not just a gimmick for the color.
For sure. I make my red sour with 100% Red X. I dud an irish red with it once, turned out nice. I want to try it at 100% for a hoppy amber too.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 08:02:12 pm »
For sure. I make my red sour with 100% Red X. I dud an irish red with it once, turned out nice. I want to try it at 100% for a hoppy amber too.
Works great for a hoppy amber. What I like is that it's got a similar flavor profile to Munich, but it seems like the richness is dialed down just a tad. That helps keep it from fighting the hops as much as an equivalent amount of Munich would, or at least that's what my limited experience seems to be pointing to.
Eric B.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 08:20:57 pm »
Works great for a hoppy amber. What I like is that it's got a similar flavor profile to Munich, but it seems like the richness is dialed down just a tad. That helps keep it from fighting the hops as much as an equivalent amount of Munich would, or at least that's what my limited experience seems to be pointing to.
My analysis too. Reminds me of Great Western Munich light, but crisper.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 06:48:23 am »
55# each of avangard pils, pale ale malt, vienna, light munich, and muntons maris otter.

10# each of various caramalts, cara pils, melanoiden, and roast.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 07:33:53 am »
I brew year round, but i've currently got:

140# Rahr 2 row
20# crisp Maris Otter
55# weyermann pils
25# Weyermann munich
25# Weyermann Vienna
20# Weyermann dark munich
10# each Crisp light and medium crystal
10# carafoam
5# caramunich
15# misc (victory, roasted, midnight wheat, black, special B)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 10:04:59 am »
Ok, I know there's no season for some of us, its year round. But just like getting all excited about back to school supplies, I've been making a big run in the fall to get ready for the big Fall/Winter push. I thought maybe others would enjoy bragging about their new pencils and trapper-keepers.

Today I gathered up enough to get me through February.
55 lbs of Simpson Golden Promise
55 lbs of Best Pils
25 lbs each of Best Munich light and dark and Vienna
25 lbs of Wyermann Red X
A half pound of German Hallertau Mittelfruh
Oh and some extra light DME

I still have enough specialty grains and 2014 pellets to get me through.

Looking forward to some APA, Stouts, Scottish, Helles, Dunkels, and maybe even a pils or two

I keep my grain at a friend's house, so I don't know for sure how much I've got.  A rough guess would be in the 700-1000 lb. range total.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell