Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pale ale 3.0  (Read 3116 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: pale ale 3.0
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 01:13:01 pm »
+1.  Looks good.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 08:20:35 pm »
Should be good. I like the continental malts in this style as well. You going with Chico, or do you have another yeast in mind?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 08:24:55 pm »
Should be good. I like the continental malts in this style as well. You going with Chico, or do you have another yeast in mind?

Well my original thought is trying k97 for the first time but this is probably a bad style to evaluate a yeast. If I don't go that direction, I will use US05.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 08:32:22 am »
Brewed this yesterday. Took off with one sachet of expired K97 in less than 16 hours at 62F. My efficiency was horrible hopefully it will still turn out good. I did not have any DME on hand to make up lost gravity points. I may add a bit honey once fermentation slows just to boost ABV a bit.

Thanks for your help Ken! I will let you know how it turns out in a couple weeks. I did use one less oz of hops at the end of the boil but I still think it will be decent.

1 oz Centennial 20 min
1 oz Cascade 20 min
1 oz Palisade 5 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min
1 oz Cascade DH (I may add another oz of Cascade or Palisade)

I am also toying with the idea of adding pureed mandarin oranges in the fermenter after 7 days.

~44 IBU

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 08:53:55 am »
Brewed this yesterday. Took off with one sachet of expired K97 in less than 16 hours at 62F. My efficiency was horrible hopefully it will still turn out good. I did not have any DME on hand to make up lost gravity points. I may add a bit honey once fermentation slows just to boost ABV a bit.

Thanks for your help Ken! I will let you know how it turns out in a couple weeks. I did use one less oz of hops at the end of the boil but I still think it will be decent.

1 oz Centennial 20 min
1 oz Cascade 20 min
1 oz Palisade 5 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min
1 oz Cascade DH (I may add another oz of Cascade or Palisade)

I am also toying with the idea of adding pureed mandarin oranges in the fermenter after 7 days.

~44 IBU

sweet-hope it goes well from here!  3oz of whatever dry hops would be good for this one.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 05:08:03 pm »
This beer turned out to be pretty good. My only complaint at this point is that it has a minerally flavor and kind of a thin body. Could that be related to 225 ppm of SO4? I have never had this flavor when using that amount before so I assume it is not.

For the hell of it, I threw a couple of cans of pureed mandarin oranges into the fermenter which comes through slightly in the flavor. This beer is definitely high on the cascade/citrus character which I was going for and is definitely less malty than previous attempts. I need to rebrew it soon because I had some efficiency and fermentation issues that I would like to correct. I may make some adjustments to the water as well. This is obviously a bad style to judge yeast on so I it's hard to make any judgments on my first usage of K97.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:10:00 pm by goschman »

Offline tommymorris

pale ale 3.0
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 08:03:01 pm »
This beer turned out to be pretty good. My only complaint at this point is that it has a minerally flavor and kind of a thin body. Could that be related to 225 ppm of SO4? I have never had this flavor when using that amount before so I assume it is not.

For the hell of it, I threw a couple of cans of pureed mandarin oranges into the fermenter which comes through slightly in the flavor. This beer is definitely high on the cascade/citrus character which I was going for and is definitely less malty than previous attempts. I need to rebrew it soon because I had some efficiency and fermentation issues that I would like to correct. I may make some adjustments to the water as well. This is obviously a bad style to judge yeast on so I it's hard to make any judgments on my first usage of K97.
I made a blonde ale with K97. I think you and I purchased it at the same time. I cannot tell the difference between K97 and US05 for blonde ale. If I did a side by side I might notice a difference, but, based on my memory of my blonde ale, which I brew a lot, I can't tell.

The K97 beer is more cloudy, but, gelatin cleared it up very nicely (and fast).

I also fermented at 62F.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 09:01:42 pm »

I made a blonde ale with K97. I think you and I purchased it at the same time. I cannot tell the difference between K97 and US05 for blonde ale. If I did a side by side I might notice a difference, but, based on my memory of my blonde ale, which I brew a lot, I can't tell.

The K97 beer is more cloudy, but, gelatin cleared it up very nicely (and fast).

I also fermented at 62F.

Mine was extremely murky going into the keg. It has been in the keg for about a week and it just starting to clear up. For a while it resembled orange juice which was interesting.

Good to hear your impressions in a blonde ale. I have it going in a brown ale right now and plan to use it a bunch over the next few months.