Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vent-Matic Ultra Flo Faucets | Product Review  (Read 5474 times)

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
Re: Vent-Matic Ultra Flo Faucets | Product Review
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 12:19:54 pm »

Where can these be purchased? I don't find much info on the google machine. I probably can't afford them but am curious how the price compares to Perlicks.
www.vent-matic.com
I've been in the market for a new faucet - currently rocking a s***ty one that came with the kegerator and a nitro tap I recently bought.

I was going to target the 650SS Flow Control, I'm assuming the vent-matic doesn't have that feature but to be honest I've never used it. Is it a big impact?
I've never used the 650 series Perlicks, but if you check the Brülosophy FB page, you'll see Colin Kaminski has had nothing but problems with his.
Wow.  Blast from the past.  I switched to Perlicks when I used my Bowie Bottlers (since switched to a beer gun), but I always loved my Shirron/Ventmatic faucets.  I need to start stocking up while they're still around, just in case.
I like your style.

I have two of the Perlicks with flow control and have had no issues.  Just a different story; I'm not trying to say Colin is wrong.

Online toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 01:25:34 pm »
I'm a long way away from a kegerator but curiosity is getting the better of me.  What's a 'hollow pour?'
Basically where the beer comes out of the tap along the sides of the faucet and leaves a 'hole' or 'bubble' in the center.  It effectively looks like a tube instead of a solid stream.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 02:31:49 pm »
I'm a long way away from a kegerator but curiosity is getting the better of me.  What's a 'hollow pour?'
Basically where the beer comes out of the tap along the sides of the faucet and leaves a 'hole' or 'bubble' in the center.  It effectively looks like a tube instead of a solid stream.

Yeah, I can see where that would not be the most desirable thing.  Thanks.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

narvin

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 03:32:45 pm »
Yes, these are great faucets.  I bought some not from the original run but when Shirron was briefly making them 7 or 8 years ago.  I also like the removable spouts... I can clean them as well as use narrow or wide spouts for different carbonation levels.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Vent-Matic Ultra Flo Faucets | Product Review
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 10:06:19 am »
I am a cobra tap user for years, but, have been considering building a kegerator.

Forgive my ignorance; why does the removeable tip make cleaning easier? It seems you still need to clean up inside the portion of the tap that is not removeable.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 12:05:36 pm »
I have four Perlick 425's on my kegerator.  Perlick stopped making them about 5 years ago, but they have the removable spout and still are still working great for me.  I too have a bottle/growler filler screw-in adapter for the 425's exactly like the VM one in your article.

Thanks for sharing the article - if the 425's were to fail I would definitely go with the VM's.

I run just a teensy tiny smudge of keg lube between thumb and finger run around the threads where the spout goes on to make removing and putting on the spout easier, and less likely to lead to cross threading.

narvin

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 01:21:13 pm »
I am a cobra tap user for years, but, have been considering building a kegerator.

Forgive my ignorance; why does the removeable tip make cleaning easier? It seems you still need to clean up inside the portion of the tap that is not removeable.

I clean the lines every other keg, but it's nice to be able to clean the nozzle more often.  This is the part exposed to air, and occasionally foam when someone doesn't know how to pour correctly.

evil_morty

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 07:53:32 am »
Marshall, I mentioned in our FB group that I have all Ventmatics (the 2-piece Ultraflo model) and then I put 8mm spouts (made by the guy who runs Centerline... he is a local homebrewer/fabricator and I have been our drinking beer with him many times) on all 4 taps.  I really like the pour I get with the 8mm spouts.  The larger 10-12mm spouts seemed to give me a hollow pour occasionally.  He also built the 8mm spouts so that the spout fills with beer and comes to the bottom of the spout when you turn off the faucet.  This makes the beer all come to the bottom of the spout (I think he just beveled it a little at the opening) and drain into the glass at the end of the pour.  No more "beer-dribble" 30 seconds after you turn off the faucet.  Great stuff and awesome to see Ventmatics back.

I also have some the original VMs but I've never gotten around to buying some of the smaller spouts.