Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Empties?  (Read 1189 times)

RPIScotty

Belgian Empties?
« on: September 30, 2015, 04:00:34 pm »
Anyone else saving these? I've got about a case each of Westmalle, Chimay, Rochefort and Orval bottles. I give them a hot rinse and soak and save them when I'm done. Seems like a total waste not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
Re: Belgian Empties?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 04:06:52 pm »
I save any and every thick glass bottle I can. I think I'm close to having enough to bottle an entire batch of saison at proper saison CO2 volumes. Gives me an excuse to try out new Belgians - damned if I'm going pay money for a case of thick glass empties.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 06:06:58 pm »
Yeah I always save and keep the thicker bottles. It's good insurance for how much wild yeast and brett I use in my brewing. Inevitably I end up clearing out plenty of standard longnecks because I end up with too many. It's about that time actually...
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:29:00 pm »
I rarely bottle nowadays, so I don't keep many bottles any more. The one exception is heavy Belgian-style bottles. Those never go in the recycling bin. Like the OP said, seems like a waste not to...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:36:38 pm »
I rarely bottle nowadays, so I don't keep many bottles any more. The one exception is heavy Belgian-style bottles. Those never go in the recycling bin. Like the OP said, seems like a waste not to...

+1

Every time I buy a beer in one of these bottles I tell myself I'm getting a $1 discount.