Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding Cherries to Milk Stout  (Read 2581 times)

Offline john.flanagin

• 1st Kit
Adding Cherries to Milk Stout
« on: September 22, 2015, 09:31:23 am »
Hi,

I just brewed a Milk Stout and it should come in around 8.5%. I wanted to split the batch and add cherries to it. I wanted to lay out my logic and see if anyone had any tips,tricks,concerns, or criticism.

I was thinking of getting Frozen Dole Dark Sweet frozen cherries and putting them in a vessel with enough bourbon to cover them. I would then let them sit for a few days and then decant any bourbon that was not absorbed by the cherries. Finally I would put the cherries in a carboy and rack half my batch on top of them to secondary.

Thanks for any feedback!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Adding Cherries to Milk Stout
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 09:59:06 am »
I used frozen dark sweet cherries in a belgian dark strong, turned out great. You'll need at least 1.5-2 pounds per gallon if you want the cherries to shine through. Maybe more with the burboun

Offline john.flanagin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 11:00:27 am »
Jim,

Did you add your cherries whole or did you puree/smush them?

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 11:04:44 am »
Just as a side note, when I visited 3
Fonteinen recently they told me that one of the reasons they use frozen cherries is that fresh cherries are basically waterproof.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:06:57 am by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 11:30:56 am »
The ones I used were stemmed and pitted and frozen. I thawed to room temp and added them.

The only thing I would do different is add the fruit when the base beer still has about 3-4 brix to go rather than waiting till it's all done.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:33:25 am by klickitat jim »

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 02:39:48 pm »
I think you could lose some cherry flavor by soaking in whisky particularly because the freezing macerates the cherries and add some whisky flavor to your stout.  I usually do not get too concerned about frozen fruit infecting beer particularly when the alcohol is high; 8.5% is above the tolerance for lacto.  Anyway, I would recommend not attempting to sanitize your frozen cherries before use.

You are probably going to need something like 1 lb of cherries per gallon of beer and perhaps more because this is a stout.

Offline john.flanagin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 05:13:20 pm »
Thanks kramerog. Small world. I joined BOSS last year. Thinking I'm gonna go 1.5lbs per gallon

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 09:50:52 am »
I would ride on the assumption that the fruit may have been pasteurized (often says on the packaging) and freezing killed off most of what may have made it into the package with the fruit rather than worry about losing flavor to whiskey or getting too much boozy flavor in the beer. I might feel differently if you plan on sitting on this beer for years where a handful of cells of an oxidative yeast like brett has time to do something with the beer. If that is your plan then I would suggest opting for an aseptic puree.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 10:54:23 pm »
Thanks kramerog. Small world. I joined BOSS last year. Thinking I'm gonna go 1.5lbs per gallon
Did you go to the picnic

Offline john.flanagin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 11:05:17 am »
Kramerog I did not.

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 07:42:56 am »
I think you could lose some cherry flavor by soaking in whisky particularly because the freezing macerates the cherries and add some whisky flavor to your stout.  I usually do not get too concerned about frozen fruit infecting beer particularly when the alcohol is high; 8.5% is above the tolerance for lacto.  Anyway, I would recommend not attempting to sanitize your frozen cherries before use.

You are probably going to need something like 1 lb of cherries per gallon of beer and perhaps more because this is a stout.

+1  I just did a Blueberry mosaic IPA with frozen blueberries.  I did not sanitize them for the same reasons listed.  Most bugs were killed during freezing and the few that get threw wont make it in the 8.5%.  I have also done a sour cherry saison in which I used dried sour cherries(northstar).  But i added those at flame out to pasteurize
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin