Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vent-Matic Ultra Flo Faucets | Product Review  (Read 5458 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Vent-Matic Ultra Flo Faucets | Product Review
« on: October 01, 2015, 06:01:44 am »
There are few things I see value in spending top dollar on, as I've found I can usually pay less for items of equal or even better quality just without the big name attached to it. But then there are those things where price does seemed to be correlated with quality, and for those who keg, faucets are certainly one of these items. I recently learned about Vent-Matic faucets and had the very cool opportunity to chat with the owner of the company. Besides sharing a remarkably fascinating story, he sent me some faucets to review... these ain't your mama's typical tap!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/01/vent-matic-ultra-flo-faucets-product-review/

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Vent-Matic Ultra Flo Faucets | Product Review
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:44:49 am »
I do wish that these were available when we were building the bar (club down the road was doing a large buy, but it always fell through for one reason or another - for like a year or more) but I gotta say, the 650SS ain't a bad choice either.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 06:46:10 am »
This part gave me flash backs " I recall once coming home after 2 short days away, stoked to pull a pint of something I’d brewed, only to find myself struggling like the dickens to get the damn thing to budge! I pulled so hard, I had to brace the entire kegerator, and even then, nada"

One time the plastic tap handle snapped off in my hand. When I reordered good tap handles I included two Perlicks. When those wear out, I'll look at these new ones

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 06:49:47 am »
Thanks for the write up, Marshall. I'm happy with my Perlicks, but the next time I buy I'm definitely open to try them.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 07:07:49 am »
FWIW, they aren't 'new' - i've had mine for about 10 years now.  The owner had some production issues and IIRC a spat with Perlick, which caused them  to be off the market for a long time.

I love my VMs.  I have most of the available spout sizes, though most of my beers use the standard 10mm.

Glad to see Brad is back in action!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:10:31 am by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 07:35:20 am »
Where can these be purchased? I don't find much info on the google machine. I probably can't afford them but am curious how the price compares to Perlicks.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 09:52:02 am »
Marshall, I mentioned in our FB group that I have all Ventmatics (the 2-piece Ultraflo model) and then I put 8mm spouts (made by the guy who runs Centerline... he is a local homebrewer/fabricator and I have been our drinking beer with him many times) on all 4 taps.  I really like the pour I get with the 8mm spouts.  The larger 10-12mm spouts seemed to give me a hollow pour occasionally.  He also built the 8mm spouts so that the spout fills with beer and comes to the bottom of the spout when you turn off the faucet.  This makes the beer all come to the bottom of the spout (I think he just beveled it a little at the opening) and drain into the glass at the end of the pour.  No more "beer-dribble" 30 seconds after you turn off the faucet.  Great stuff and awesome to see Ventmatics back.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 11:31:46 am »
Where can these be purchased? I don't find much info on the google machine. I probably can't afford them but am curious how the price compares to Perlicks.

There's a link that takes to you to the site at the end of the brulosophy review:

http://www.vent-matic.com/#!/c1nab

Looks like just over $50 depending on finish

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 11:34:41 am »
I've been in the market for a new faucet - currently rocking a s***ty one that came with the kegerator and a nitro tap I recently bought.

I was going to target the 650SS Flow Control, I'm assuming the vent-matic doesn't have that feature but to be honest I've never used it. Is it a big impact?

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 11:51:32 am »
Still bottling here, but thanks for the write up Marshall. When I make the witch to kegging I will be looking into these for sure
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 02:17:13 pm »
Wow.  Blast from the past.  I switched to Perlicks when I used my Bowie Bottlers (since switched to a beer gun), but I always loved my Shirron/Ventmatic faucets.  I need to start stocking up while they're still around, just in case.

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 02:54:46 pm »
Wow.  Blast from the past.  I switched to Perlicks when I used my Bowie Bottlers (since switched to a beer gun), but I always loved my Shirron/Ventmatic faucets.  I need to start stocking up while they're still around, just in case.
I think so too.  I wonder if I should pick up 2 of these for "safe keeping" or if I should replace my 4 current (older model) Ventmatics with these and then keep the *OLD* ones for safe keeping.  Very tempting especially when Marshall mentions how it magically improved the head on his beer. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 08:56:02 pm »

www.vent-matic.com
I've been in the market for a new faucet - currently rocking a s***ty one that came with the kegerator and a nitro tap I recently bought.

I was going to target the 650SS Flow Control, I'm assuming the vent-matic doesn't have that feature but to be honest I've never used it. Is it a big impact?
I've never used the 650 series Perlicks, but if you check the Brülosophy FB page, you'll see Colin Kaminski has had nothing but problems with his.
I like your style.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 04:37:10 am »
Great to see the Ventmatics are back in production.
I got the last of my five faucets just before they went out of production.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 11:54:33 am »
I'm a long way away from a kegerator but curiosity is getting the better of me.  What's a 'hollow pour?'
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.