Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help! Cascade and Chinook Mixed Together  (Read 4433 times)

Offline vernmoore

• 1st Kit
Help! Cascade and Chinook Mixed Together
« on: October 01, 2015, 12:22:03 pm »
I planted 2 hop rhizomes next to one another in my garden. One was Cascade, the other Chinook. This was their 2nd year and they did well. When I harvested the hops, I didn't try to differentiate the two and mixed them in vacuum sealed bags. Now what to do? How can I separate them? Or does anyone have a good recipe where it wouldn't matter? Arrgh...
M. Vern Moore
Culpeper, VA

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Help! Cascade and Chinook Mixed Together
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 12:24:05 pm »
I planted 2 hop rhizomes next to one another in my garden. One was Cascade, the other Chinook. This was their 2nd year and they did well. When I harvested the hops, I didn't try to differentiate the two and mixed them in vacuum sealed bags. Now what to do? How can I separate them? Or does anyone have a good recipe where it wouldn't matter? Arrgh...

It'd work in most any APA and AIPA recipe. They blend well.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 05:50:40 pm »
This is the first beer I brewed after a 10 yr brewing hiatus.  It's an amber. Brings back fond memories. It's a recipe developed by the Homebrewers of Middle Mississippi (HBAMM) and has been sold as a kit on rebelbrewer.com for years.

Malty Mississippi Red Ale
6# Light DME
0.75# Crystal 60
0.5# Crystal 120
Windsor Ale Yeast

Hop Schedule:
.5 oz Cascade - 30 min
.5 oz Chinook - 20 min
.5 oz Cascade - 10 min
.5 oz Chinook - 5 min

PS. I wanted to be true to original above. But, I rebrewed with Denny's Fav yeast and liked that version better.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 07:14:37 pm »
I wouldn't sweat it and brew whatever recipe that goes well with american hops you like.  I grow both of those & could probably separate most of the cones based on size & shape and/or aroma (my chinook are much longer than my cascade) but I don't think it would be worth it now that they are all scrutched down from vacuum sealing.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:31:30 am »
Cascade and chinook work well together. I'd happily use them together in a pale ale, IPA, saison, etc.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline vernmoore

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 12:46:09 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try using them "as-is" in an AIPA or something. I've never brewed a saison, may go with that...
M. Vern Moore
Culpeper, VA