Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: oast vs dehydrator  (Read 6022 times)

narvin

Re: oast vs dehydrator
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 12:46:16 pm »
How much can you fit in a food deyhdrator at once?  I was thinking of building the box fan/air filter "oast" but if it only takes a few batches I'd buy a dehydrator.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 02:39:51 pm »
How much can you fit in a food deyhdrator at once?  I was thinking of building the box fan/air filter "oast" but if it only takes a few batches I'd buy a dehydrator.

depends on how many trays you have for your dehydrator.  IIRC, I had 6-7 trays and could fit 2-3 wet lb. at a time.  when I have a chance I'll check my notes t be certain.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline james_cornell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 02:36:36 am »

This is kind of why I didn't want to use the dehydrator, it only had a few trays where my oast can hold a lot more.

I figured out a solution though.  Since I figured the problem was the low temperature I first tried adding a small space heater next to the oast.  This didn't work well enough but when I covered up most of the back of the fan (I put the fan on top facing down) so that only a small space near the space heater was open, it only pulled in the warm air and this raised the temp.  So I rebuilt the back of the fan with $6 piece of plywood from Home Depot with an opening for a mini space heater and the power cord only and hooked the space heater up to a temp controller.  Kept the temperature between 85-90 and got my next batch of hops down to a 1/5 of the original weight in less than 24 hrs.

Pictures attached.