Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sleepy Creek gets pimped out  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Scbrews

• 1st Kit
  • Personal text?
Sleepy Creek gets pimped out
« on: October 02, 2015, 03:55:41 pm »
Hey Yall,
As with most of our systems and facilities, it's a never ending evolution toward perf....well, maybe not perfection , but certainly improvement.   ;)

We (my friends and I) have been using the electric RIMS system for a few years now, making little changes along the way. It works really well , and I have no plans to change anything soon.

Basically it's a 3 vessel RIMS system that is controlled by the custom dual PID (HLT and RIMS tube) panel with a manual controller for the boil kettle. I like the manual controller because if it's simplicity and quick response in the event your wort threatens to boil over. The system uses three small 12v powered pumps (HLT circulation, RIMS circulation, and the wort pump). The wort pump is typically used to both pump hot wort through the plate chiller at the end of the boil, and also to pump finished beer out of the fermenters. All fittings are cam-lock.  The panel also has a temp sensor so that we can monitor the temp of the wort exiting the plate chiller and adjust flow rates accordingly for perfect pitching temp.

The fermenters are both conicals that are temp controlled. One is a blichmann 14.5 gallon stainless vessel, the other is a 21 gallon poly vessel that we use when making 1/2 bbl batches.

The brew bench as we call it, has enough storage to hold all the assorted equipment we all use to make great beer.

Recently, I wanted to expand my capacity beyond the old kegerator, and decided to go with a 5.3cf chest freezer due to the electric savings  and quietness. The unit I picked gives me enough room to have 2 serving kegs on the floor, and 1 backup on the hump. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out .

Also, up until last month, we were forced to hang out with our folding chairs ... I whipped up a small bar and found some stools on craigslist , dragged an unused rug out of the attic and Boom!, tap room ! I also installed a appleTV/projector combo to show games and movies on the wall. 

The garage still serves double-duty for cars most of the month, but on brew day, it's all business in there.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:32:53 pm by Scbrews »
Beer and BBQ is our specialty 😀

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Sleepy Creek gets pimped out
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 06:11:13 pm »
 Sweet set-up!
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 11:08:39 pm »
Jeep without doors in a brewery.  Sound like my kinda place.  Looks good, like the set up.
Run then beer.

Offline Scbrews

• 1st Kit
  • Personal text?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 06:40:05 pm »
lol, thanks guys . If you're ever in the area, shout out and swing over for a beer.
Beer and BBQ is our specialty 😀

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:25:00 am »
Nice!  Pretty bad ass jeep too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281