Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Secondary fermentation from fruit  (Read 1361 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Secondary fermentation from fruit
« on: September 15, 2015, 06:38:55 pm »
So I just added 3.6 lbs of semi frozen  wild huckleberries to5 gallery of a blonde ale. I let primary go for 2wks and it reached its expected fg. Should I expect any significant fermentation now, with the new juice?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Secondary fermentation from fruit
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 06:48:52 pm »
You will get a secondary fermentation from the fruit, even though most of the additional alcohol will be negated by the water in the fruit in terms of overall abv%. I'd give it a couple weeks after adding the fruit ,then verify FG.
Jon H.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 06:53:00 pm »
Ok thanks
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 10:25:27 am »
You will get a secondary fermentation from the fruit, even though most of the additional alcohol will be negated by the water in the fruit in terms of overall abv%. I'd give it a couple weeks after adding the fruit ,then verify FG.

+1  on tap at my house now is a mosaic IPA that i racked onto 3lbs of blueberries in the secondary.  FG when i added to the secondary was 1.014.  After two weeks on the blueberries I racked to a clean carboy and cold crashed before kegging(wanted a clear pretty beer on tap) and final gravity dropped from 1.014 to 1.012- although I only kept it in the primary for 7 days...

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 10:32:34 am »

3lbs frozen bluebrerries

You can see a tiny krausen on the berries in the carboy photo
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 10:34:10 am »
Pretty beer !
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 01:44:27 pm »
Yep.  I usually give my fruit beers 2-4 wks to ferment and condition again after adding the fruit.  This allows the extra fruit sugars to be fully fermented and allows the beer to clear a bit as well before packaging.