Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So You Think You Want to Open a Brewery...  (Read 7597 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: So You Think You Want to Open a Brewery...
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 11:59:03 am »
AFAIK in Europe you don't need to deal with all that rigamarol. My understanding is if you can brew it you can distribute the beer as well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 04:48:46 pm »
Shoot,

Why I did not read this 4 years ago.
I could have been driving that red Corvette all these times.

Less work and more chick picked up.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 07:43:51 pm »
Dude, I'm like "work less make more money". One cannot buy back those hours spent slaving away at some grinding job. I hear your beer is pretty good though and who says it ain't worth it then?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 05:17:10 am »
Shoot,

I got into the brewery business for the groupies and the blow. Unfortunately I didn't realize that the groupies all have pot bellies and beards, and the job blows. ;)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 08:21:46 am »
Shoot,

I got into the brewery business for the groupies and the blow. Unfortunately I didn't realize that the groupies all have pot bellies and beards, and the job blows. ;)

Ha ha ha...
The same here.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 10:35:48 am »
I plan to brew full time once I retire. I don't mind cleaning, but I'm not going to bother with regulatory, licensing, payroll, financial, contracts, distribution,  or customers. I figure that ignoring that stuff means that I can brew whenever I feel like it and not go belly up as fast as some of the breweries that do.

That's pretty much where I am at now.  I call it "semi-pro" brewing!   With the new CA homebrew law I am donating/pouring a ton of beer at charity events.  The tax deduction and t shirt sales make it a break even proposition for me  plus as you mentioned I don't have to deal with all the bs! 

Offline Brewery Bookworks

• 1st Kit
    • Brewery bookworks
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 11:39:30 am »
Interesting article but I have to disagree with "Some folks will try to hire their way out of the financial responsibilities of the company, but that seems like bad strategy to me."  As a bookkeeper specializing in microbreweries I think that having the accounting done right is priority.  Yes, the owner needs to pay attention and be aware of the finances, but that doesn't mean they have to do it all.
Lily Chambers, CPS, CQU
www.brewerybookworks.com

Offline rebuiltcellars

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 06:59:16 am »
AFAIK in Europe you don't need to deal with all that rigamarol. My understanding is if you can brew it you can distribute the beer as well.
Not in any part of Europe I'm familiar with - Finland has far stricter alcohol regulations than the US.  The situation varies country to country (like it does state to state over there), but even countries that are more lenient on alcohol sales have production of items for human consumption (which includes beer) highly regulated.
A clever/funny quote goes here.

Primary: Beer, wine or empty
Secondary: We don't need no stinking secondary
Bottled/Kegged: Beer, wine or empty