Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chocolate Hazelnut Stout  (Read 7644 times)

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
Re: Chocolate Hazelnut Stout
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 02:04:41 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I had the (admittedly crazy) idea to try and make a "NUtella Stout" My thought was to try and make either a nice chocolate stout or a chocolate milk stout as a base and add some Hazelnut extract.

Has anyone tried this, and was it horrible?

and this being the first time I tried an all grain recipe (I only just made the switch) any help with the grain bill would be much appreciated.

8 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 61.5 %
3 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2 23.1 %
2 lbs Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 15.4 %

1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 19.0 IBUs

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -

1.0 pkg Chico (Fermatrix #FX-100) Yeast 7 - (Similar to White Labs 001 according to website)

Dont think thats a crazy idea at all.  A few years ago I brewed a Almond Joy Stout- it was just my chocolate stout with almond and coconut extract in the keg.  Went over very well over the holidays!

On tap right now is a Roasted Pecan porter. For the batch (5.25g) I roasted 15oz of Pecans for 5-7 min at 350, stirred em up and gave em anopther 5-8 min.  Dont want em burned but you know when theyre done cause they smell amazing! Gaave em a rough chop and just added them to the grain and mashed all together.  I did also add 1oz of belgian cocoa powder during last 10 min of boil.  Head retention isnt amazing but its there and lacing is still nice-   would def brew it again

point being you can get good "nut" flavor from real nuts or extract IMO
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:11:41 pm by TexasHumuluslupulushead »
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin