Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bubbles/foam in secondary  (Read 5391 times)

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
Bubbles/foam in secondary
« on: October 03, 2015, 05:47:59 pm »
I'm attempting a NB Bourbon Barrell Porter extract. OG was 1.063 and was in primary for 19 days. Gravity was at 1.027 at this point. I transferred to a secondary with a week old bourbon soaked oak cubes. At first, the secondary looked normal and then a couple of days later, bubbles started to appear. This has been in the secondary for 28 days now and the bubbles on top have not diminished and there's been activity in the airlock every 20 seconds or so. I have this in a 67 degree fermentation chamber. Is there anything to be concerned about?  See pictures...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:51:08 pm by M-O-O-N That spells beer! »
Na zdrowie!

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
Re: Bubbles/foam in secondary
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 07:36:53 pm »
Seem fine mostly. At 1.027 that yeast still had some work to do in secondary hence the bubbles. However the fact that a month into secondary your getting a bubble three times a minute is a little odd though. Especially considering how much time was spent in primary. The yeast seem to be having a hard time finishing up. try bumping up the temp a few degrees to help them finish.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 06:38:07 am »
It sounds like transferring to secondary roused the yeast but most of the yeast was left in primary so its taking its time. It doesn't look infected so it will be good. I agree bumping up a few degrees could help. Once action stops check gravity two days apart to see if its done. Btw it looks like there isn't a ton oh head space so accumulated co2 could still bubble in the airlock after fermentation.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 08:04:23 am »
I'm not much of a secondary guy, but those photos look ok to me.  My number one concern would have been the fact that it was at 1.027 after 19 days, but it looks like that was a month ago.  So without knowing anything about the recipe, process or yeast strain, have you sampled it since?  I'd want to know how it tastes and where the gravity is now.  And btw, how are you measuring gravity - hydrometer or refractometer?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 08:51:19 am »
+1.  Looks fine.  Most likely fermentation is nearing the end or has completed and you simply have outgassing from the CO2 buildup in the headspace causing the airlock to push a couple times a minute.  As stated above it would be a wise idea to raise the temps up into the lower 70's if possible to help it finish out and clean up after itself.

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 03:50:44 pm »
yeast strain, have you sampled it since?  I'd want to know how it tastes and where the gravity is now.  And btw, how are you measuring gravity - hydrometer or refractometer?

I've been taking hydrometer readings. Yeast is Danstar Windsor Ale yeast (dry). I just took a reading and a sample. Looks like it's at 1.022, maybe I somehow misread the hydrometer prior to transferring to secondary?

The flavor is good, I can taste the oak and maybe a little bite in the end. The basement temps are starting to cool and the fermentation chamber won't move from 67 degrees. I just ordered a ferm wrap, since colder months are ahead.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 04:12:03 pm by M-O-O-N That spells beer! »
Na zdrowie!

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 11:57:28 am »
Don't forget to swirl up some of those settled yeast cells or add some fresh when that beer comes up to temp. The good news is you wont need to age it for too long ;D.
let us know how it goes.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 12:24:41 pm »
Windsor is known to finish high.  Check it again in a bit and if it stays at 1.022 you're done.

A month on the oak should be fine.  I wouldn't go much longer.  But I've only used chips, not cubes.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 01:32:53 pm »
I think you'll be fine with the oak cubes in longer if you need to. I tried to oak a mild recently with whiskey soaked oak cubes and even at 2 weeks in the fermentor I couldn't taste any contribution based on split batch tastings and that was for a low OG beer. Oak chips on the other hand might get "hot" really quickly due to the increased surface area.

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 04:28:37 pm »
Windsor is known to finish high.  Check it again in a bit and if it stays at 1.022 you're done.

A month on the oak should be fine.  I wouldn't go much longer.  But I've only used chips, not cubes.

Just checked two days later. It looks like the gravity dropped a little, does it seem normal for it to drop like that in 2 days, considering how much time it's been sitting? I will take another reading in two more days, I suppose.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 04:33:36 pm by M-O-O-N That spells beer! »
Na zdrowie!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 05:02:34 am »
It is fine - let it finish fully.  Time will be your friend here.  Next beer just leave it in the primary - most of us don't rack off the yeast until packaging, unless there is a true secondary addition that needs to be added after the primary is complete.  Most late additions just go right in the primary.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"