Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Next brew day  (Read 2498 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Next brew day
« on: October 03, 2015, 09:32:07 pm »
I hesitate to call it something because its too easy to go down the style guidelines path. I suppose its going to be a pale ale. I wanted to try a moderately bittered beer, with a bump in malt flavor and hop flavor.

1.060 6 gallon batch
9 lbs Golden Promise
3 lbs Best light Munich
1 lb C40
150º for 90
PNW water with 8gm SO4 and lactic to 5.4 pH.

14g Magnum pellets @60
56g Simcoe pellets and 56g Mosaic pellets in whirlpool at 170 for 30

1056 high krausen pitch at 62º finished off at 68º

I keep waffling on the C40. Thought about just dropping it for another pound of Munich. I dont want it drying out too much though. A little chewy might help the hop flavor stick to your ribs.

This should be a whiplash beer compared to my usual malty beers.

Any thoughts?

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
Next brew day
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:37:47 pm »
Check out Jamils evil twin clone recipe in the last BYO mag...I think that may be what you're looking for
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:42:32 pm by heavydeadlifts »
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Next brew day
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 09:49:05 pm »
I don't get that and its not on the web site. Haven't tried his beer yet, I don't think it makes it to the Gorge

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:09:26 pm »
Is it the commercial version? He's OG recipe has been available for ages.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 10:13:44 pm »
Its all good. I have borrowed from so many of his recipes already. Time to cut the umbilical for a change.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 10:40:35 pm »
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 10:46:41 pm »
1.060 6 gallon batch
9 lbs Golden Promise
3 lbs Best light Munich
1 lb C40
150º for 90
PNW water with 8gm SO4 and lactic to 5.4 pH.

14g Magnum pellets @60
56g Simcoe pellets and 56g Mosaic pellets in whirlpool at 170 for 30

1056 high krausen pitch at 62º finished off at 68º

Any thoughts?

Looks like a tasty beer to me, I say give it a go!!  I think you've got enough going on there to keep it dry, I wouldn't sweat the lb of C40.  Maybe an ounce or two if dry hops wouldn't hurt though..

I really don't get the ET reference here, that's pretty much a hoppy American Amber, a whole different ballgame.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 11:55:06 pm »

That recipe is dramatically different than the Evil Twin recipe available from him at Mr Malty. Different enough to be a different clone?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 12:05:53 am »

That recipe is dramatically different than the Evil Twin recipe available from him at Mr Malty. Different enough to be a different clone?
Well in the article he explains that it is his latest update to the recipe which has gone through continual gradual changes...I will be kegging it this Thursday so I will know pretty soon

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 06:47:37 am »
Even though I'm not trying to clone anything, not even trying to stay in-style, I see a couple similarities. More flavorful grains than the normal American stuff, and focusing on hop flavor rather than bitterness.

I decided to drop my crystal and sub in more munich, and mash a little warmer.
9 lbs GP
4 lbs Best munich light
155º for 60

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 07:24:40 am »
Even though I'm not trying to clone anything, not even trying to stay in-style, I see a couple similarities. More flavorful grains than the normal American stuff, and focusing on hop flavor rather than bitterness.

9 lbs GP
4 lbs Best munich light
155º for 60
Jim, I have a very similar thing in my fermenter right now, and also winging it, with little thought to style. I just wanted to throw something together with the local Valley Malt that I have around. I basically just went English with the hops and yeast. I guess with the local grains its a New England Bitter:
3 Gallon Batch
4# Valley Malt Pale Malt
2# Valley Malt Munich
Bittered with Northern Brewer, EKG in hopstand, Whitebread yeast (WL version, forget #)
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 07:28:18 am »
Sounds good Jim, with the C40 or without.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 07:34:43 am »

9 lbs GP
4 lbs Best munich light
155º for 60
Jim, I have a very similar thing in my fermenter right now, and also winging it, with little thought to style. I just wanted to throw something together with the local Valley Malt that I have around. I basically just went English with the hops and yeast. I guess with the local grains its a New England Bitter:
3 Gallon Batch
4# Valley Malt Pale Malt
2# Valley Malt Munich
Bittered with Northern Brewer, EKG in hopstand, Whitebread yeast (WL version, forget #)
Dang, now you got me thinking. If I like this one maybe I'll do one with English yeast and hops

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 07:50:59 am »

9 lbs GP
4 lbs Best munich light
155º for 60
3 Gallon Batch
4# Valley Malt Pale Malt
2# Valley Malt Munich
Dang, now you got me thinking. If I like this one maybe I'll do one with English yeast and hops
I thought it would be a good vehicle for tasting the malt. Just enough bitterness, not a ton of hop flavor and no citrus /pine /fruit etc.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 12:19:31 pm »
Gonna be a malt bomb with GP and Munich.  If it was me, I'd use a more aggressive bittering hop to balance it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell