Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thanksgiving party beer Orange/cran/jalapeño PA  (Read 1086 times)

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
Thanksgiving party beer Orange/cran/jalapeño PA
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:01:21 am »
We have a company party every Thanksgiving, and a few of the staff and I brew some beers for it...

My late mother in-law used to make an amazing cranberry relish with fresh cranberries, orange zest and jalapeños for Thanksgiving(now my wife makes it!).  Since my wife and I love pepper beers, I thought the idea may translate to beer.  After a few chats with my wife, this is what we came up with for our company party brew

Orange Cran Jalapeño Pale Ale-

AG-
5.25gallon
OG 1.067
FG 1.014
ABV 6.8%
IBUs ~40(whirlpool hop additions hard to calculate)
SRM 7.9

Grist:
12.5# 2row
1# Maris Otter
3/4# C40
.6# carapils

Mash(pH 5.40)
60min @ 153
Mash out 170

60 min boil

Hops and additions:
.25oz warrior FWH
2 tsp irish moss @15min
2.5 tsp wyeast nutrient @15min
* zest of 1 orange @5min
**5 seeded stemmed quartered jalapeños @10min
3oz Amarillo Whirlpool 175 for 45 min

WLP001 starter

***KEGGING add 2oz cranberry extract to keg

Should be orangey from amarillo and zest, should be slightly spicy from jalapeños, and slightly tart from the cranberry extract...  Hoping it pairs well with the relish my wife is making for the feast

Side note-  I have done several pepper beers and have had the best results by freezing fresh peppers whole.  On brew day, thaw peppers, clean(stem/de-seed) and add to last 10 min of boil, then REMOVE.  Like fruit, freezing breaks down the cells walls allowing more "flavor" out, and then removing ensures that the heat wont continue to build

Also i did leave a little residual sugars, thinking sweet/heat always pair well together, and may mash at 155 to try to keep FG a tad higher

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 01:46:58 pm by TexasHumuluslupulushead »
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin