Author Topic: First wort hopping help  (Read 833 times)

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
    • View Profile
First wort hopping help
« on: October 04, 2015, 02:19:46 PM »
I am brewing an IPA on Tuesday which I intend to do a 60 min boil with 0 hops in the boil.  I am adding warrior in FWH and Citra,galazy and mosaic at whirlpool-

Question is, i just read an article that recommended NOT adding high alpha hops (like Warrior) to FWH as some claim it adds an unpleasant bitterness/flavor

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Am I setting up to make a pour(get the pun?) choice?

My intent is a high flavor,juicy IPA with low IBU, or perceived bitterness

Thanks
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
    • View Profile
Re: First wort hopping help
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »
I FWH all the time, often with Warrior and find the opposite to be true - it makes for a less harsh bitterness.
Jon Weaver

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 02:27:28 PM »
I FWH all the time, often with Warrior and find the opposite to be true - it makes for a less harsh bitterness.

Thanks man-

so next question- can I just drop my 60 min additions and only do FWH?

I originally planned to but second guessed it,splitting 1/2 in FWH and 1/2 at 60min after reading the article..

.75oz Warrior FWH = ~33ibu was my intention
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 02:30:38 PM »
Yes.  At this point I exclusively FWH, never 60 min additions anymore.
Jon Weaver

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »
+1 to using high AA hops for FWH. No worries.
Jon H.

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 02:34:46 PM »
right on- thank you gents

Offline brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 02:35:33 PM »

To my palate, assuming around 14% alpha, this amount of Warrior lands somewhere in the mid-40s IBUs for a 6 gallon batch.
Jon Weaver

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 02:38:44 PM »

To my palate, assuming around 14% alpha, this amount of Warrior lands somewhere in the mid-40s IBUs for a 6 gallon batch.

Great to know- thanks

edit- how much warrior do you typically add for your IPAs?

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 02:41:56 PM »
i posted my recipe yesterday -

5.25g batch

.75 warrior fwh

whirlpool 175 for 45min
1.5oz mosaic
1.5oz galaxy
1.5oz citra

dryhop
.5oz citra
.05oz mosaci
.05oz galaxy

Offline brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 02:45:53 PM »

Great to know- thanks

edit- how much warrior do you typically add for your IPAs?

About that much.  But I don't brew them very often, so I'll defer to Hoosier - I think he's the cool whirlpool champion around here!!  He might say to use more...
Jon Weaver

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 02:51:44 PM »
Yep.   :)   Those amounts (assuming no other boil additions) are pretty much APA level to me. Personally, I'd double the whirlpool additions and triple the dry additions for an AIPA. Sounds like a lot but I think you'd be happy with the results !
Jon H.

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »
Yep.   :)   Those amounts (assuming no other boil additions) are pretty much APA level to me. Personally, I'd double the whirlpool additions and triple the dry additions for an AIPA. Sounds like a lot but I think you'd be happy with the results !

i guess im confused on whirpool vs boil at this point...

if i put this amount in during boil it would be over 100 IBUs, but now i need to double the amount to get the juicy fruit bomb im looking for?  i guess it seems like the utilization is not there for me or am I looking at this wrong?  Im not concerned about the cost of the hops... I guess it confuses me on why whirlpool additions are better than boil additions
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 02:59:46 PM by TexasHumuluslupulushead »

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 02:59:06 PM »
been brewing for 10+ years but the fwh and whirlpool thing is totally new to me

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »

if i put this amount in during boil it would be over 100 IBUs, but now i need to double the amount to get the juicy fruit bomb im looking for?  i guess it seems like the utilization is not there for me or am I looking at this wrong?  Im not concerned about the cost of the hops... I guess it confuses me on my whirlpool additions are better than boil additions

All in the boil, you're right - IBUs would be much higher. But added at 170-175 you won't perceive the IBUs as near that high. A lot of IPA recipes from years past showed 2 oz additions at 15, 10, 5 and 0 - 8 oz total. So what you're doing is adding those 8 oz at a time when far less bitterness is extracted, and better flavor and aroma extracted (not boiled off). By no means am I saying this is the only way to make a good IPA - it's just what I like doing and like the results. Lots of ways to get there.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:40:04 PM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 03:10:10 PM »

if i put this amount in during boil it would be over 100 IBUs, but now i need to double the amount to get the juicy fruit bomb im looking for?  i guess it seems like the utilization is not there for me or am I looking at this wrong?  Im not concerned about the cost of the hops... I guess it confuses me on my whirlpool additions are better than boil additions

All in the boil, you're right - IBUs would be much higher. But added at 170-175 you won't perceive the IBUs as near that high. A lot of IBU recipes from years past showed 2 oz additions at 15, 10, 5 and 0 - 8 oz total. So what you're doing is adding those 8 oz at a time when far less bitterness is extracted, and better flavor and aroma extracted (not boiled off). By no means am I saying this is the only way to make a good IPA - it's just what I like doing and like the results. Lots of ways to get there.

no worries- I hope i didnt come off that way either- just trying to wrap my head around it-  makes sense.  so please correct me if im wrong...

FWH additions:
.75oz Warrior

Whirlpool additions (175 for 45min)
3oz galaxy
3oz Citra
3oz Mosaic

Dryhop:
3oz galaxy
3oz Citra
3oz Mosaic

thats the juicy fruit bomb im looking for?